It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hemochromatosis Message Board

• All other liver tests normal - but bilirubin is high?! Confused!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: All other liver tests normal - but bilirubin is high?! Confused!

Exactly....you could always invest in a couple of leeches for medical use ;-)

Bloodletting used to be popular (believed to help many maladies), done by barbers. Hence the red and white pole as its symbol.

Do you see your doctor on Monday for the results?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

I will most likely see my doc on Weds with the full results. Eek. Hemochromatosis is SCARY!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

Oh, another thing - on my last bloodwork, albumin was high end of normal, and INR was perfect.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

When do you go back to your GP?

q

Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

I am seeing an 'internist' in an hour, soonest I could get with my GP for results is this Thursday sadly :/ This week is going to feel like an eternity.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Try to keep things in perspective. you're going through the process very quickly, so this should be clarifying things for you.

Please let us know how the appointment goes today.

q

Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

The internist inspected me, felt my abdomen and checked all my numbers. He says it is definitely not liver failure, and suspects that based on bilirubin, iron and other numbers it's either hemochromatosis, autoimmune or both. He explained that there are other markers for a failing liver, and just having high bilirubin with all other normal markers most likely is another condition entirely.

He ordered ablation for me today, and they proceeded to drain me of ten vials of blood. I feel a lot better, already. He says that for the time being I am to donate blood until my iron levels come down to 'high end normal' (norm is 25-200, the highest I have been measured ironwise so far is 679)

All the big tests come back Thursday though! Thanks for being so supportive so far

Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #23
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You're welcome. Hemochromatosis is the obvious because of the high numbers...reason is still why which hopefully the other tests will narrow down.

Did he say why possibly for the high bilirubin?

What type of ablation exactly?

q

Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Brad, if it is hemochromatosis, consider yourself lucky that it is being caught early and the complications of it are preventable by donating blood often enough to keep your iron stores down. One unit donation takes 200-250mg iron out of your system, and most people can be maintained with 2-4 donations a year, once your level comes down to around 100. If it turns out to be that, your relatives should have a serum ferritin done for screening, since it is hereditary. Glad you are making progress with the diagnostic process!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #25
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

He said high bilirubin can be brought on by anything from Gilbert's, to a viral or bacterial infection. He also said excessive alcohol consumption can overload the liver. He said that since the rest of my bloodwork didn't have consistently high bilirubin that it is most likely an acute thing. He also made a point of telling me to stop googling my symptoms/results because the internet is not 100% reliable and it's easy to self-diagnose.

He also made a point of saying that iron overload could absolutely affect bilirubin levels as well, hence the ablation (basically, I got bled dry lol)

I will know nothing definite until Thursday, however. That's the day of reckoning. Lol.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #26
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looking forward to the results.

As far as googling stuff....while it can send the mind into a crazy direction, it still gets one some info to at least be proactive in asking the doc questions about testing, results, etc.

Oh, and support from Healthboard members is always a plus! ;-)

Keep us posted on Thursday...and as I have suggested, please get copies of all your test results!

good you're feeling better today,
    q

Last edited by quincy; 06-10-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #27
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

Well, the results are in:

Abdominal Ultrasound: Unremarkable Study.

Bloodwork:

URATE: 280 (180-450)
    PLATELETS: 317 (140-400)
    BILIRUBIN: 13 (3 - 18)
    ALT: 17 (4-43)
    GGT: 21 (5-50)
    ALBUMIN: 46 (5 - 50)
    TSH: 1.03 (.30 - 5.60)
    FERRITIN: 436 (25-200) H
    POTASSIUM: 5.2 (3.5 - 5.2)

Doctor says that my liver is fine. The bilirubin is now within normal ranges. The only red marker is ferritin, which he says should absolutely not be that high after the amount of blood I have given.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #28
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I think you can safely rule liver failure out, lol.

It seems it was a timing issue, and possibly a virus combined with the drinking. The higher ferritin can be dealt with.

Watch your intake regarding foods with high iron in large amounts at the same time continuously.

Since the levels went down significantly in a short time after the bloodletting.

Which doctor will monitor you...the internist or your GP?

q

Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
    Brad521
    (male)

Brad521 HB User

The internist will monitor me. His official diagnosis was hemochromatosis. I am to give blood weekly until that iron is down to about 50. He says absolutely no alcohol or red meat until my iron is in the safe area. He said I am EXTREMELY lucky I caught it this soon - apparently untreated hemochromatosis can lead to cirrhosis, heart and lung failure and neurological disorders.

Quite a relief. I spent the past month convinced my liver was failing all due to googling 'high bilirubin'. Lol.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

As he said....good you caught it early. You weren't at the point of liver failure (or the other possibilities)...

Yes, googling caused you distress, but NOT googling would have probably caused you the same distress, just about different stuff.

I'm happy for you to have a good doctor, please keep us updated how you're doing.

Now..have a good weekend! :-)
    q

Closed Thread