It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

  • LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
    lux7
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    lux7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 14
    lux7 HB User
    LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    I was wondering how accurate the results with LASIK can be.

    I have already chosen a clinic because they seemed the one with the deepest screening, good machinery and were very honest and forthcoming.

    Only one thing seemed at odds with previous checkups: they said they are accurate to the 0.5 diopter, on average, while nobody else mentioned that.


    What are you experience/knowledge in regards to accuracy (as a reference, I have -4.75)?

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 06-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
    whiskeythekid
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 170
    whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    I had a poor result from lasik. But the diopter is about right however they neglect to mention that other lasik induced issues can impact vision including induced astigmatism, overcorrection, higher order aberrations, dry eye, inflammation.

    My post lasik vision is basically plano with a .5 induced astigmatism however my vision is not commensurate with this prescription. I have different near focal points in each eye, starbursts on light sources in dim light, fluctuating vision, fluctuating dry eye.

    Make sure that they do not overcorrect you. It is better to be a tiny bit nearsighted in the end.

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
    lux7
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    lux7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 14
    lux7 HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    I had a poor result from lasik. But the diopter is about right however they neglect to mention that other lasik induced issues can impact vision including induced astigmatism, overcorrection, higher order aberrations, dry eye, inflammation.

    My post lasik vision is basically plano with a .5 induced astigmatism however my vision is not commensurate with this prescription. I have different near focal points in each eye, starbursts on light sources in dim light, fluctuating vision, fluctuating dry eye.

    Make sure that they do not overcorrect you. It is better to be a tiny bit nearsighted in the end.
    Thanks whiskey.

    What do you mean by "plano"?

    You didn't have astigmatism previously and you think it's a consequence of overcorrection?

    Last edited by lux7; 06-09-2014 at 02:57 AM.

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
    whiskeythekid
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 170
    whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    Plano means no refractive error.

    I was not overcorrected. I have an astigmatism created by Lasik. I did not have an astigmatism prior to Lasik.

    I have virtually no nearsightedness yet my vision is not crisp and clear due to the astigmatism. It is worse than being nearsighted in my opinion. If you are nearsighted when you remove your glasses distance is blurry but near is crisp and clear. With an astigmatism when you remove your glasses nothing is crisp and clear. For me the astigmatism is small so that it impacts details like small print or the cable guide lettering on the tv, larger objects like a road sign are fine.

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
    lux7
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    lux7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 14
    lux7 HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    Plano means no refractive error.

    I was not overcorrected. I have an astigmatism created by Lasik. I did not have an astigmatism prior to Lasik.

    I have virtually no nearsightedness yet my vision is not crisp and clear due to the astigmatism. It is worse than being nearsighted in my opinion. If you are nearsighted when you remove your glasses distance is blurry but near is crisp and clear. With an astigmatism when you remove your glasses nothing is crisp and clear. For me the astigmatism is small so that it impacts details like small print or the cable guide lettering on the tv, larger objects like a road sign are fine.
    I understand, I thought astigmatism was just about near focus and far away object were clear.

    I'd like to ask, overall, would you go back as you were before -myopic and no fluctuations/dry eyes- if you had the chance?

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
    lone airedale
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    lone airedale's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 4
    lone airedale HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lux7 View Post
    I understand, I thought astigmatism was just about near focus and far away object were clear.

    I'd like to ask, overall, would you go back as you were before -myopic and no fluctuations/dry eyes- if you had the chance?
    This wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway Yeah, I'd go back to what I had before. My right eye is pretty good post LASIK, but now I have astigmatism in my left - did not have astigmatism before the procedure. My left isn't sharp at any distance and it drives me nuts. I have moderate dry eye - had no issues with dry eye before the procedure.

    Before LASIK I was about -4 in both eyes. I was sick of wearing glasses, but I'd love to have them back. I should have listened to my gut and not had LASIK.

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
    whiskeythekid
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 170
    whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    I agree with lone aredale

    I would go back to before. Being nearsighted is way way way better than the result that I achieved. My vision was just slightly more nearsighted than yours so basically I could see to read but beyond there was blurry without glasses or contacts.

    Like lone aredale I now have 1 clear eye and 1 blurry eye, they do not work together very well. Astigmatism makes vision bad at all distances. I also have dryness, and starbursts. However according to the actual prescription values I should be seeing perfectly. This just shows that the eye is very complex and alot more goes into vision than just the ability to focus on black letters on a white background.

    Before Lasik I never had one complaint. Just bought my annual contact lenses and moved on. Had the same pair of glasses forever.

    I was "tricked" by the lasik hype and the industry from my optometrist to the lasik clinics no one tells you the honest facts.

    If I had found this message board pre-lasik I would not have gone forward. You need to really hate your vision to do Lasik. If you hate it then do it. If not then why risk it - anyone can have our results it has nothing to do with the skill of your surgeon, your age, or your health.

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
    lux7
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    lux7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 14
    lux7 HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    I understand.

    Personally I don't "hate" my vision, but on the other hand it's a dream for me not having to wear eyeglasses.

    I walk around these sunny days and dream that all goes well, or at least acceptably well, and I'll be walking around without having to squint my eyes because I can't wear shades.


    I wanted to ask, what caused astigmatism in your cases when there wasn't any prior?

     
    Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
    whiskeythekid
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 170
    whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    The laser causes it by changing the eye shape to a shape that is not natural to the rest of your optics.

    Doctors do not know why they blame you and how your body heals like somehow its your own fault. Makes no sense.

     
    Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
    kt77
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    kt77's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5
    kt77 HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    I have issues similar to whiskeythekid. I had Lasik almost two years ago now. I test 20/20 and can even make out some letters on the 20/15 line, but I am far from satisfied with my vision. One eye is better than the other, but even the good eye is not perfect. My vision never seems sharp. I suffer from starbursts and glare mainly in my left eye. Things like road signs, text on TVs are not completely in focus. I believe this is a result of Lasik induced HOAs in both eyes. The Lasik surgeons considered my outcome an excellent one, and basically said I should be happy with my results. Also my regular eye doctor confirmed I test 20/20 and could not find anything wrong either. So just keep in mind, you can still test 20/20 and be very disappointed with your surgery. I've learned the hard way that measuring 20/20 by reading black letters on an eye chart doesn't necessarily mean your vision is satisfactory. Some of those crazy Lasik statistics you see "95 percent see 20/20 or better", don't take that into account.

    Last edited by kt77; 07-08-2014 at 01:34 PM.

     
    Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
    whiskeythekid
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 170
    whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    Kt77 have you tried anything to help with starbursts or vision clarity? Do you have dry eyes?

    I have a blurry eye also. The blurry eye now has a mixed astigmatism in it. Sometimes I can see through the astigmatism with clarity. Other times there is blurring. I do not know why.

    The starbursts sort of come and go, but are mostly predictably going to appear. Every once in a while they seem to dissipate. I tried a hybrid RGP lens which fixed the problem 100% but they were uncomfortable and when I removed the lens the starbursts and other vision issues were worse for a few hours after removing the lens so I returned the lens and decided not to wear it. The bursts are worse in one eye so I tried it in the worse eye.

    Both issues seem to effect white writing on black or blue eg tv guide or movie credits or looking at the moon. Sometimes there is a problem and sometimes there is no problem.

    I have glasses for the astigmatism which were made from the iscription machine which gets the refractive error to .1 accuracy. Other machines can get to .25 accuracy. These fix the clarity but do not fix bursts.

    I just ordered a toric soft lens for the astigmatism. I will let you know how that goes.

    I also have dry eyes from lasik which seems to be a battle of ups and downs.

    I am at 18 months post lasik.

     
    Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
    kt77
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    kt77's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 5
    kt77 HB User
    Re: LASIK accuracy: how accurate (0.5 dioptrics?)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    Kt77 have you tried anything to help with starbursts or vision clarity? Do you have dry eyes?

    I have a blurry eye also. The blurry eye now has a mixed astigmatism in it. Sometimes I can see through the astigmatism with clarity. Other times there is blurring. I do not know why.

    The starbursts sort of come and go, but are mostly predictably going to appear. Every once in a while they seem to dissipate. I tried a hybrid RGP lens which fixed the problem 100% but they were uncomfortable and when I removed the lens the starbursts and other vision issues were worse for a few hours after removing the lens so I returned the lens and decided not to wear it. The bursts are worse in one eye so I tried it in the worse eye.

    Both issues seem to effect white writing on black or blue eg tv guide or movie credits or looking at the moon. Sometimes there is a problem and sometimes there is no problem.

    I have glasses for the astigmatism which were made from the iscription machine which gets the refractive error to .1 accuracy. Other machines can get to .25 accuracy. These fix the clarity but do not fix bursts.

    I just ordered a toric soft lens for the astigmatism. I will let you know how that goes.

    I also have dry eyes from lasik which seems to be a battle of ups and downs.

    I am at 18 months post lasik.
    I was prescribed Alphagen P by my Lasik doctor to constrict pupil size in my left eye particularly at night. I found that it did reduce the starbursts quite a bit, but it didn't help with my vision clarity. I am pretty much done dealing with the Lasik doctors at this point, because all they keep telling me is that I'm 20/20. My regular eye doctor tried prescribing me a -0.50 contact lens, but it just made my vision even more distorted in that eye. It's like the lens can't get a a good fit on the cornea.

    I've been tested for dry eye several times by I believe what is called the Schrimer's test, but apparently I am producing plenty of tears. My eyes don't feel dry, except sometimes later in the day, and I do occasionally notice some redness in both eyes at day's end, probably due to the dryness and irritation. I do have Systane eye drops and Blink Tear drops on hand, but I rarely use them now, as they didn't seem to help with my vision clarity even when I used them constantly. I do notice that right when I put a drop in that left eye, the vision clears up for a few seconds. I've read that it could be because I have a rough corneal surface and the drop temporarily smooths it out.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:17 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!