It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Is it ok to wear an incontinence pad for rectal prolapse?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
    soulwarrior123
    (male)

soulwarrior123 HB User
    Is it ok to wear an incontinence pad for rectal prolapse?

Hi,
    I have a partial prolapse, my mucosal layer of rectum prolapses during bowel movement and then goes back in.

I have went to almost 4 surgeons, and they said that I don't need surgery, just keep my bowel habits normal and avoid straining, everything will be alright.

but, i am also suffering with a discharge from anus, I was thinking of using Incontinence pads, I saw Prevail's men's pads and thought I should use them.

But, Is it safe, to use disposable pads for a rectal prolapse, I mean, I have read various articles about the toxins that disposable pads contain, my prolapsed rectum might come in contact with the pad itself, can toxins be absorbed into my body via the rectum?

It might seem like a weird questions, but I have OCD, so, this thought is killing me..Help, would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Is it ok to wear an incontinence pad for rectal prolapse?

I think a thin pad, enough to contain and absorb any discharge would be safe. You might look for a scent-free or hypoallergenic pad that would not contain extra chemicals. If the mucosa sticks to the pad, you could apply a thin layer of water soluble lubricant like KY jelly, that will still permit absorption of discharge but would prevent sticking. I would try a "light" type of panty shield without wings designed for women, that sticks to your underwear.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
    soulwarrior123
    (male)

soulwarrior123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by missymooboo View Post
    Hello,

I too suffer from a prolapse. The des are in conflict about whether it is mucosal or internal. It's definitely mucous lay, I pray not internal as well. Does your prolapse on protrude during a BM? If so then it will never come in contact with the pad so I would think its fine. How are you going with managing your prolapse? Mine scares me
    Well, it did scare me too, at first, but now I have made my peace with it, because I have went to 4 Different surgeons, they say there's nothing else wrong with me, nothing serious, just mucosal layer coming out during BM, and then going back in.

So, I am fine with it, as long as it goes backs in, on its own. I just try to get alot of fiber, and avoid straining, to avoid making it more worse.

Only, thing that bothers me is this discharge, it is only slight, but still leaves a stain on my underwear, so, I am thinking of getting Cotton pads for it.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
    Zialov
    (female)

Zialov HB User

Hi,

I know this thread is a little old but I thought I'd tell you what I learned today. I have been told that I have rectal mucosal prolapse. However, it's more a case of redundant mucosal right now and the doctors don't recommend my having it repaired. It doesn't protrude out the rectum. The thinking is that the rectocele I have is causing my symptoms and I am going to have that repaired. Anyway, the surgeon I saw today said that if it ever did protude or start to bleed, that he would do a rubber band ligation to solve the problem. I just thought I would mention that here in case you would like to look into that with a surgeon.

Reply Reply