It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low ferritin, normal HB...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
    tricky08
    (female)

tricky08 HB User
    Low ferritin, normal HB...

Hi there, I had a blood test taken just over a month ago which came back as serum ferritin being 15, in UK the norm is (25-300) also serum folate 10.2 ug/l and serum vitamin b12 404 ng/l.
    Since then I have been staying abroad and bought some OTC gentle iron (Ferroglobin) but in that time became extremely lethargic, no energy at all... hair started to fall out and other symptoms. So I had a private blood test, to check HB level, which surprisingly came back at 14.1 but ferritin in juat a couple weeks had dropped from 15 to 11. Everything else appears to be normal such as Hematocrit, RBC etc.
    So I'm still extremely fatigued, when I stand for short periods of time my blood seems to drain from my head, and feel really sick like I'm going to collapse.
    Hair is falling out bigtime! And sweating profusely... I heard you don't feel better until ferritin is in the 70's!!
    Oh and I'm almost into 2 weeks of taking Floradix. As well as wanting to get the ferritin up I really would like to know what is causing it to drop as I don't really have heavy periods but I am vegetarian.

Anybody else have something similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
    kalouise
    (female)

kalouise HB User
    Re: Low ferritin, normal HB...

Hi,
    I've been answering a lot of posts on here, so sorry if you are sick of reading my posts!lol. I have been struggling just like you! Now that I think back that past few years, I have been feeling somewhat tired yet always blamed it on my job. This past fall, I got literally every cold/virus that came around. I even got strep throat, which I haven't had since age 12! During this time I was thinking of going vegetarian and cutting out red meat and not eating meat much at all. In Feb I started getting persistent headaches (I don't get headaches). I ended up in the ER and all they found was that I was slightly anemic but didn't recommend I do anything about it. I ended up ordering my own iron panel, which you can do here in the states. My Ferritin was 15 and saturation was 13%. That is considered normal according to US labs. Yet a few docs you come across recommend ferritin be no lower than 50.
    I think that I started cutting out meat at a bad time, when my iron was already low. I have fairly heavy periods, which I thought were normal. No doc ever asked about that or told me that I could become anemic because of them. Its aggravating! I feel a lot like you. I am very foggy brained, its weird. Its hard to function. I feel like my body is just giving out on me! I have headaches, feel out of it, muscle aches, can't get good sleep and feel like I am going to collapse most times when I am standing up. Its so scary! My iron has gotten up to 26 but I just had a heavy period and have about 14 tubes of blood taken last week that I am suspecting have made me feel worse. I am taking 325 mg ferrous sulfate 2x a day. I wish I could take more and get well faster! apparently it takes months to feel better because you have to give you body time to make new cells which takes around 100 days. Ugh!
    So anyway, I feel for you. I think your diet may have to do with it. Although there is iron in veg, it is not absorbed as easily. So supplementing is def the way to go. You could also have absorption problems. Not sure what country your in but you may want to check for parasites.
    I really hope you feel better. Keep posting. It would be nice to know at what levels others start to see improvement. I don't find that much on here. It would give me something to look forward too! Some times it feels like you'll never get better!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
    tricky08
    (female)

tricky08 HB User
    Re: Low ferritin, normal HB...

Hey! Just thought I'd post an update! I've just had another blood test, since joining a new doctor surgery and they tested for full blood count, iron stores, B12 etc. Well my last blood results prior to this (end of July) showed a ferritin level of 11, it dropped from 15 in just 2 weeks, whilst I was taken an iron supplement Ferroglobin. So I was slightly worried why it dropped so fast. Since then my hair is falling out bigtime, I am surprised I have any left, although nobody else seems to notice other than me (unless they are just being nice).
    I have been taking Floravital, which is a the other version of Floradix, except I noticed it had 19mg iron which is a little more than the 15mg in the Floradix, also it is gluten and yeast free, which I figured might absorb a bit better, even though I have never been diagnosed with any gluten intolerances.

So about 5 weeks later, I've just got my results for the latest blood test and it has all come back normal, no highlighted boxes, ferritin is 28! Which I am happy about, because it means it has gone up by 17 in just over a month! I never put my prescription in for Ferrous Fumerate from the doctor, and I think I will stick with this Floravital now... I had a feeling it went up a bit, as the heart palpitations calmed down as did the breathlessness from climbing stairs etc.
    I do recommend Floravital, it seems to have a better absorption (which has been proven on my blood work)
    Now I just need to see when my hair will reach a level where it stops falling out!

Closed Thread