It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Low dose Naltrexone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
    mindi111
    (female)

mindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB User
    Low dose Naltrexone

I know this has been discussed before (a lot!) but the threads I can find are all very old and I'm unable to comment in them, so I'm starting a new one

I am starting a very low dose of Naltrexone soon (1.5mg before bed, hoping to get the OK to up that over time) and wondering if this medication has helped anyone? Any stories to share would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Low dose Naltrexone

I apologize that it took me so long to reply to this. Ive been out of the country again for work.
    Ive been on LDN for 6 years. When I started, I started with 1.5 mgs before bed. I increased by .5 mgs every 3 weeks until I hit full strength of 4.5 mgs . Every 3 weeks, I increased the dosage by .5 mgs, this allowed my body to adjust to taking the drug without totally disrupting my sleep patterns...in the beginning, when you start LDN, its really smart to start low and increase gradually. It can keep you up at night if you start too high in dosage.

Does it work? Yes. Absolutely. I learned about LDN when I was in England, where it is used widely as a DMD. For me, it totally gets rid of my neuropathy. I have no pain while taking LDN. My numb and tingley feet stopped bothering me and my hands hurt much less. It also helps to keep me balanced. Literally. I dont feel so shakey- and my balance is overall better.

There are hundreds of studies you can check out on LDN. My neurologist is totally on board with me taking this. There are zero side effects to the drug- as long as you dont start too high and can sleep on it.

You do have to be aware that when you go to the doctors office and they ask you what else you are taking, they wont find LDN on 99% of the computers they use to compare drugs. But know that there are NO interactions with any other drugs...EXCEPT narcotics. That means, if you are having surgery, you should go off the LDN for at least 3 days prior to scheuled surgery. The half life, how long it remains in your body, is only 1 day.....so if you would need emergency surgery, by the following morning, the LDN would be out of your body.

Ive stopped LDN three times in 5 years for oral surgery or one reason or another and have noticed that my body automatically knows it. Within 2 days of being off it, I notice that my neuropathy comes back and I dont feel "right". I love LDN.

Make sure wherever you are getting it knows what they are doing. Look for someone who uses the filler Avicel - its a compounded drug and they have to compound it with something. Avicel is pure.

Good luck! Let us know how you do on it.
    Nikki

Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
    mindi111
    (female)

mindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB User

Nikki, thank you SO much for your reply! It was worth the wait I actually just picked up my LDN this morning (from a pharmacy my dr recommended that used Avicel!). I'm very excited to start using it tonight! My walking has gotten incredibly bad. Spasticity, balance is terrible and weakness is extreme. I am going to talk to my neuro about maybe starting Baclofen too since I'm a bit worried about how all the spasticity is affecting my leg muscles.

Anyway I'll let you know if I see any improvement from the LDN!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Congratulations! There is a doctor in florida- a pharmacist actually, who is the leader in the US on all things LDN. You can probably find him if you look....hes got a great informational page which you can learn alot from.
    1.5 mgs isnt going to do much of anything for you. You will need to keep increasing it, but please dont do it too quickly. 3 weeks is about right...when you get to 4.5 that is MAX dose for LDN and has been proven to show the most effective.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Best to you!
    Nikki

Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Closed Thread