It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Blood in stool anything serious?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
    okbro12
    (male)

okbro12 HB User
    Blood in stool anything serious?

So for the past three weeks I've been getting blood in/after my stool. The problem is, I can't tell whether this blood is coming from higher up in my colon or not. I've read up as much as possible on this topic but I still can't seem to put myself on the spectrum so I just want to see what other people think.

(this may sound gruesome)

When I go for a bowel movement, the first one usually comes out and I feel this itchy/weird pain as it comes out. Then, directly after my anus begins to drop blood to the point where the water changes color to red (this scares me every single time). The stool itself seems fine if I look at it right after it drops. It's a regular, good sized piece of poop (lol). The bleeding continues for about 20 seconds after I finish. Now here's the part I'm afraid of... When I wipe, I see blood and a black substance. I'm afraid it's Melena. There isn't much of it. It's just like one or two specks of it. Surrounding this substance is regular looking blood. I have no idea how to tell the difference from "bright red" and "dark red". It just looks red.

Now for some history, around May I had quite a lot of trouble with constipation. I was not able to pass stool at all for like two weeks until I upped my fiber and took some softeners. Ever since then, I've had some off and on constipation. I'd take a strong fiber supplement and the next few days it would ease up again. I've also always had random cases of blood on toilet paper.
    I also have a weird itchy feeling on my anus after pooping which goes away after about half an hour. I do not feel anything else going wrong in my body. No vomitting, no pain in my stomach, nothing. It's all during the passing of the stool. I also sometimes feel a weird smell coming from around there when I'm sitting down.

I'm 17 so I doubt it's colon cancer but I just need reassurance I can go to a doctor but I'm embarassed and it'll take way too much time unless I enter as an emergency which I'm not even sure of. Another fear of mine is that the constant loss of blood will cause anemia. I've always suffered from iron deficiency anemia and I'm afraid if I lose too much it'll aggravate it. However, I still feel no headaches and the amount of blood that comes out is typically in drops.

Last edited by okbro12; 01-10-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Blood in stool anything serious?

It sounds like you may have haemorrhoids. A history of constipation, itching, pain and bleeding as you describe sounds pretty typical. That said, it is always a good idea to get it checked out. There are inflammatory bowel conditions, polyps and tears in the bowel that may need treatment. Work on your diet to keep your stools soft and bulky. If it is haemorrhoids then the doctor will recommend an ointment, which can also be bought over the counter. Do not wipe, rather dab gently so as not to inflame the area. Sera

Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
    okbro12
    (male)

okbro12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    It sounds like you may have haemorrhoids. A history of constipation, itching, pain and bleeding as you describe sounds pretty typical. That said, it is always a good idea to get it checked out. There are inflammatory bowel conditions, polyps and tears in the bowel that may need treatment. Work on your diet to keep your stools soft and bulky. If it is haemorrhoids then the doctor will recommend an ointment, which can also be bought over the counter. Do not wipe, rather dab gently so as not to inflame the area. Sera
    Oh wow thank you that last bit really helped. All I did this past two days was change the way I wipe and followed your advice yesterday and bam today no blood dripping. I do however still feel that strange itch/pain but at least its not bleeding... I guess I was being aggressive in the way I wipe or something...

Old 03-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

I'm going to recommend that you get to a doctor to get this checked right away.

My husband had bleeding and constipation for six months before he had it checked out. He has a long history of haemorrhoids, so he explained it away and ignored it far too long. He has colon cancer.

I don't mean to scare you, and I hope I'm wrong, but bleeding from the rectum in the amount you're talking about is not something to ignore.

Closed Thread