It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• wellbutrin and xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    Question wellbutrin and xanax

does anyone know if i can take these 2 together? my dr. just wrote me a prescription for wellbutrin and i'm already taking xanax for anxiety [a very low dose]he thinks it okay but....
    i'm also scared to take the wellbutrin, heard about bad side effects? I have to quit!!!!
    thanks, betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    EBRBETTY-

I'm not positive, but I think it would be OK as I took Zoloft yrs ago and took Xanex with it and felt fine. If your Dr. thinks it's ok I think you'll be fine. And with a low dose I don't think that's too worrisome.

I took Wellbutrin last July, (100 MG) in my quest to stop smoking. The trouble was that I started taking Thyroid medication the same day. Well, I ended up going from mild depression to start with to severe depression, severe insomnia, lack of appetite, it was horrible. Being that I had started 2 drugs on same day, I couldn't tell which was causing the side effects. Probably both were causing side effects. Anyway, I quit taking the Wellbutrin after 3 weeks. The insomnia continued, ( and later I heard that is common with thyroid meds) but the severe depression lifted about 2-3 weeks later.

I have heard of some ppl getting these side effects w/ Wellbutrin and other ppl breezing along w/o any problems.

I ended up using nic patches to quit, and now I alternate between the gum and some days I wear a patch. Whatever it takes us, just do it.
    At least now we have these aids to help us along. I couldn't do it now I don't think, after 30 yrs smoking, w/o something to help make it a little easier.

I'm 4 weeks smoke free today, and if I can do it--you can too!

Best of luck,
    Deda

Old 10-24-2003, 04:42 AM   #3
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    thanks for the reply and congratulations!
    I'm really thinking about getting the gum, but it just seems a little nutty to me to add more nicotine [the gum] when trying to quit. can I still smoke w/ the gum?
    I may still need when I first start?

Old 10-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
    completelystressedout

completelystressedout HB User
    I too am trying to quit smoking. I started taking Welbutrin about 2 weeks ago, and I have not had more than 3 hours sleep since. I have also not had an appitite. As far as mixing Welbutrin with other drugs, I know that you can not take it with any type of sleeping pills. It can cause a number of serious problems. I know this because I was going to take a sleeping pill a couple of nights ago to get some rest, but I looked it up in a book I have that tells about drug interactions, and it says in BIG BOLD RED letters, DO NOT take with any kind of sleeping medication. Anything else seems to be ok to take with it. The Welbutrin really works though. I've just started to notice, but it is working. I think about smoking a cigarette, and I just don't feel like it so I don't. I've gone from a pack a day to 3 a day in just a little over 2 days. It's great!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User
    Wellbutrin and Xanax are a common combination for those of us who suffer from depression with bouts of anxiety. (I'm already on Xanax and dr. just gave me a scrip for Wellbutrin.) Just try not to take the Wellbutrin late in the day; it keeps me up all night.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #6
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Betty-
    No, please don't ever smoke at all when using any nicotene aids! It can be very dangerous. With the patches and gum, it's best not to start these until you are ready to give up the cigarettes for good.

Ok, as far as you thinking that continuing to use nicotene is silly, well I used to think that too, but isn't it better to only be taking in a little nicotene everyday than all the tar and 3000 or so dangerous chemicals directly into your lungs?

I don't care how long this takes w/ the patches and gum, it's better than smoking, I feel better as my occasional cough and wheezing is no longer there.

I don't think that I would've been able to do this w/o these nico aids. I was TOO addicted! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Deda

Old 10-24-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
    ebrbetty
    (female)

ebrbetty HB User
    all of you have been so helpful, I thank-you!
    as I said I am a little scared to take the wellbutrin, I did try in about a year or so ago and can't remember why I stopped, it may have been because it made my heart race. and w/ panic disorder thats the worst thing to happen! but my dr. did say if that happens and I feel really jumpy and my heart is racing to take a xanax to counter-act it.
    I think I'll try my first pill sunday morning and see how it goes.
    if not I'll give the patch a try.
    I'll probably gain weight, but as long as I keep up the regular workouts I should be ok.
    thanks a bunch, Betty

p.s. was talking to my mom and she read that message boards are a great place to go when trying to quit, more people succeed because of the support from others.

Closed Thread