It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Access to my MRI files

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
    Aman847
    (male)

Aman847 HB User
    Access to my MRI files

I recently had an MRI performed for lower back pain. I asked for copies of the images and the imaging center told me no.

Is this common? How can I get access to my images? I want to have them just in case.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Access to my MRI files

Most will not release the images or the report unless your doctor agrees, until you have seen the doctor who ordered the testing for results.
    I just went through this a few months ago, and it was at the doctors request.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

That has never been my experience. At the time of service, I tell them I want copies of the MRI and radiology report. They hand me a copy of the MRI on my way out and the report is sent when it becomes available, usually within a couple days.

When getting past records you have to go to the medical records department and sign a release form. Sometimes there is a small charge.

I have never spoken to a doctor about it. As long as the records are for your own personal use, I don't believe they can deny you access to your own records.

Last edited by teteri66; 03-31-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User

Your medical records are YOURS, follow the procedure outlined by teteri with your request in writing and sign their release form and they have to give you a copy of everything. They will charge you a fee. If they say no, I would start complaining in writing to the administration because you have a right to every single piece of info they have.

Last edited by Fl0werP0wer; 03-31-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #5
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I have also never had an issue requesting a copy of my films. As far as I know my doctor was never contacted to okay me getting a copy. I guess I am also lucky I have never been charged for this either. Contact med records directly and ask them to send you their policy on getting copies of your films. Hopefully you just got someone who really didn't have the right answer when you called before.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 04-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Getting the MRI images is different than getting the report. I have also gotten cd's of the studies, but the report was held by physicians request until I had seen her in the office. The reason for this was a significant change in my back problems that caused major changes to my spine stability.
    The reason that some doctors are doing this varies, but too many people are looking at or having lay people "diagnose" what's seen on the images, and rely on what they are being told, which may or may not have anything to do with why the patient saw the doctor to begin with.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
    Aman847
    (male)

Aman847 HB User

Thank you this is very helpful

I trust my PCP and understand that he is the doctor. But I also want to make sure I am fully informed.

I will go to the imaging center prepared and request my MRI in writing.

One thing to note is that this is a freestanding imaging center not a hospital based practice. Do you think that might be why practices differ between centers? My guess is that hospitals are more open about this stuff than other centers.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It can be as simple as your physician's preferences when it comes to the report/images.
    Some physicians require the patient to be seen in the office to go over test results.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
    ChuckStr
    Veteran
    (male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User

A Dr can "request" that the report or images be held, and in fact have good reason for doing so, but if they are part of your medical record, they are ultimately yours. If you decided to go to a different doctor for instance you'd have every right to the images, report etc. They can legally charge a fee, although I've never had this happen to me.

I've seen two ways that imaging providers try to weasel out of this. One is that they are legally allowed a reasonable time to fulfill the request. I don't know if there is a legally sanctioned "reasonable" time but I know of a local hospital being sued over this and losing. The other way, is basically saying that the records have been sent to your Dr (the implication being that they then just disappeared and are not yet part of your medical record). I don't know if this method is legally acceptable or not, but it did happen to me once with a radiologist report. I was able to get the report from the Dr at a later time and I now refuse referrals to that imaging provider.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

No, the physician preferences or type of facility do not change the law, your medical records are legally yours and you have a right to copies on request.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Are you familiar with federal HIPPAA laws...here is a quote " you have a right to inspect and copy your protected health information." If denied then you have a right to an appeal..but they can only deny your request in "very limited circumstances."

It also says your records are kept in electronic form and you have a right to have an electronic copy be given to you. The doctor cannot just say he doesn't want you to see them. The facility will be in serious trouble for a deliberate violation.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Being a private imaging center, you might have to pay a small copying fee, but you can get your records. Don't go in asking them what their policy is. Stop in or call and tell them you want a copy of your MRI disc and report. There should not be a problem.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
    Aman847
    (male)

Aman847 HB User

This is all so helpful. Thanks so much!

Closed Thread

Tags
    mri