It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• acid reflux but still worrying its something more

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
    iworrytomuch
    (female)

iworrytomuch HB User
    acid reflux but still worrying its something more

Hi all,

Yesterday I was told by my gp that I have acid reflux. Since march I have had ECG and blood tests due to chest tightness/pains, been told I am suffering from anxiety which is causing my chest tightness and also been treated for a chest infection. Yesterday it was a different gp I saw who after listening to my symptoms said he was 99% it is acid reflux causing the symptoms. I have tight chest, sometimes shooting pains in chest and under breast/rib area, feeling of a lump I'm my throat, hoarseness in my throat aand feeling like I need to cough or clear my throat all the time. Sometimes the pain is felt I'm my shoulders and back. I also have some pressure im my abdomen if i slouch while sittimg. Has anyone else with acid reflux had the same symptoms or more symptoms? I would love to hear from you to put my mind at ease as I'm worrying and anxious even more now than ever. ThaNk you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
    SLC Girl
    (female)

SLC Girl HB User
    Re: acid reflux but still worrying its something more

I am a 52-year-old woman who has suffered from GERD/acid reflux for over 10 years. I had an endoscopy in 2008 which shows Barrett's Esophagus. My doctor told me to get another one in five years. Well, when five years came up it was time for my first colonoscopy and I asked for the endoscopy at the same time and my doctor said I didn't need it. I took him for his word. Well, the last two years my symptoms have gotten worse. I have a dry chronic cough for longer than I can imagine, hoarseness, constant clearing of my throat. On top of that the last couple nights I've felt so fatigued, so bottomed out. I decided to be proactive about my own health -- we have to! and I called my doctor and made an appointment for an endoscopy which I am having next Friday. I am so scared about esophageal cancer because of the Barrett's but I can still swallow so I probably don't have cancer, but still worry so much. I feel for you!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
    RBdreams
    (female)

RBdreams HB User

I have GERD going on 18 years. I used to get chest pains when walking or doing any sort of exertion. I figured out it was the Pepcid AC doing it and my doctor switched me to Prevacid. That was in 2000. That worked but it took several months for the side effect of the Pepcid to go away.

Last year I started having to clear my throat all the time. The problem slowly progressed until now I have full blown chest congestion and can't carry on a simple conversation without having to stop to take breaths, which are noisy due to the congestion. The nurse practitioner referred me to a pulmunologist after I insisted on seeing a gastrologist, for I'm 95% sure my problem is GERD. I do albuteron with nebulizer to relieve symptoms, that's how bad it's gotten.

Finally, after insisting again, they referred me to a gastrologist. Now I"m just waiting for a date for the appointment. My last endoscopy was about 5 years ago and I had erosion and scarring around the LES. The doctor told me that drugs like Prevacid and other PPI's cause dependency because, as anyone with GERD knows, you have that awful rebound.

I went 10 days without it all the while eating Rolaids and drinking baking soda and water like crazy. It's a nightmare. Depending on how severe the damage is now, I'd like to opt for a surgical option.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
    iworrytomuch
    (female)

iworrytomuch HB User

I'm sorry to hear you have both had this for so long, I have only been recently diagnosed but had symptoms only since march. It is very worrying isn't it. Would you mind of I ask about your symptoms of GERD only I do sometimes worry if my chest tightness and throat being sore/right is something else but I guess Google has a lot to do with that! I never thought GERD could cause differwnt types of pain and discomfort in so many different places.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #5
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

Whiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iworrytomuch View Post
    Hi all,

Yesterday I was told by my gp that I have acid reflux. Since march I have had ECG and blood tests due to chest tightness/pains, been told I am suffering from anxiety which is causing my chest tightness and also been treated for a chest infection. Yesterday it was a different gp I saw who after listening to my symptoms said he was 99% it is acid reflux causing the symptoms. I have tight chest, sometimes shooting pains in chest and under breast/rib area, feeling of a lump I'm my throat, hoarseness in my throat aand feeling like I need to cough or clear my throat all the time. Sometimes the pain is felt I'm my shoulders and back. I also have some pressure im my abdomen if i slouch while sittimg. Has anyone else with acid reflux had the same symptoms or more symptoms? I would love to hear from you to put my mind at ease as I'm worrying and anxious even more now than ever. ThaNk you.
    I have most of what you have. I don't have a chest infection. I was on Prevacid for a few months and it didn't help at all so I TRY to keep to a diet, but that doesn't always help. I have almost constant coughing or choking to the point of vomiting 4 different times. My old ENT told me I have silent GERD, but did nothing for me or told me anything about it. I researched all myself. I told him, at the time, that the mucus from my nose goes into my throat constantly especially when I cry and hardly any comes out of my nose. He told me I had to live with it. Finally figured out it was the reflux just coming from my stomach up into my throat and nose. I also have costochrondritis which hurts below my breast near the ribs. You might want to google that too. Wishing you good luck & a hug.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
    RBdreams
    (female)

RBdreams HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iworrytomuch View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you have both had this for so long, I have only been recently diagnosed but had symptoms only since march. It is very worrying isn't it. Would you mind of I ask about your symptoms of GERD only I do sometimes worry if my chest tightness and throat being sore/right is something else but I guess Google has a lot to do with that! I never thought GERD could cause differwnt types of pain and discomfort in so many different places.
    My chest pain was so bad that my doctor sent me to a cardiologist. After undergoing the chest x-rays and the EKG's and the ultrasounds with the dye in the arm, the cardiologist said to me "I don't get to do this very often, but your heart is in great shape" and he shook my hand. This was 15 years ago while taking the Pepsid. After I stopped taking the Pepsid, I began to improve.

If you are talking medications, you may consider that it or one of them could be causing your symptoms.

Last edited by RBdreams; 05-29-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

So glad your heart is in good shape. The list for the right food to eat isn't long enough for me. Of course, the bad food list is much longer. I'm even to the point of making my own applesauce because of the acid on every applesauce label I read. Going to try making my own mayo and salad dressing too. Thanks and will be looking to see how you make out.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
    iworrytomuch
    (female)

iworrytomuch HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiskers2005 View Post
    I have most of what you have. I don't have a chest infection. I was on Prevacid for a few months and it didn't help at all so I TRY to keep to a diet, but that doesn't always help. I have almost constant coughing or choking to the point of vomiting 4 different times. My old ENT told me I have silent GERD, but did nothing for me or told me anything about it. I researched all myself. I told him, at the time, that the mucus from my nose goes into my throat constantly especially when I cry and hardly any comes out of my nose. He told me I had to live with it. Finally figured out it was the reflux just coming from my stomach up into my throat and nose. I also have costochrondritis which hurts below my breast near the ribs. You might want to google that too. Wishing you good luck & a hug.
    I have came across costochondtitis and actually suggested this to my gp who said yes its possible after my chest infection but just said to take ibuprofen. Does Costo tend to linger and is it quite common with gerd? I do worry its something more but my gp doesn't think it is. I'm suffering with anxiety too and ATM have awful sore and tight neck. Does anyone else have anxiety too. Sorry for all the questions.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

You can ask all the questions you want to. I had anxiety for years, but a mini stroke actually helped me not to feel so afraid and anxious. Of course, this isn't what I'd wish for anyone to get rid of anxiety, but it's the truth. The only thing my GP told me to take was the pain pills she prescribed for me because I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen. Not sure how common it is with GERD, but I did read on here about another girl having both. Unfortunately, it does linger. I don't know if it ever goes away because I haven't read where anyone got rid of it, yet. The same girl from here said a heating pad on her chest helped a lot and I tried it too. It does help. Did you ask your doctor if you might also have fibromyalgia? I have it and also osteoarthritis from a broken wrist and also from being hit from behind in a car accident. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
    iworrytomuch
    (female)

iworrytomuch HB User

Can I ask what/where you experience pain with your costochondritis please? I sometimes have pain under left breast center of chest between breasts and under my arm, arm pit area? I just want to start feeling like myself again. With gerd I always feel like I can't breath properly until I clear my throat and often have a sore throat from this.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Before you even consider surgery, please try aloe vera. I was on Prevacid for some time and only took one. When that stopped working, I went back to the doctor and he told me to take two. With that, I scratched my head and asked myself why the drug would not work. Came home, searched the Internet, bought some aloe vera and tossed the medication QUICKLY. I figured it only made my system numb for a short time and was nothing but a money maker. Have been taking aloe vera ever since. However, there is aloe vera with vitamin c and I cannot go near that, but another person I know bought some and had no trouble. Give the aloe vera a little time to work, but believe me, it is a curing product.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #12
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

That's exactly where my pain is too. I know I suggested a heating pad, but sometimes an ice pack helps too. It depends on the person. If one doesn't work, the try the other. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I wear a bra with no hooks to bed. I also get the same thing you do with the gerd. I've been coughing and choking a lot lately too and have a sore throat when it really gets bad. I also have trouble breathing, but I have asthma too. The asthma isn't nearly as bad as the gerd though. Are you staying away from spicy and acidic foods? Chocolate, caffeine, sodas, berries and smoking aren't good either. There are a lot of foods that trigger gerd. Some people can eat berries and some can't because it acts up the gerd. You have to test it out. Eat right for a few days and then try some blueberries. This is what I have to do. I sure hope you find a good diet and start to feel better. hugs!

Old 06-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
    iworrytomuch
    (female)

iworrytomuch HB User

That's interesting as I also have asthma. I've stopped coffee as I know that wasn't helping. I guess itssomething I will have to work out what I can and ccan't eat. I do stay away from spicy food and acidic food. Thank you for answering my questions. I'm back at my gp today to see how my meds are going 😃

Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

When I read a few posts here, I see that others have asthma too. Maybe it goes hand in hand? Also, I read where people have hiatal hernias and gerd together too. Danabarb suggested aloe vera juice, I called the health food store down the street and they have it. So, I'll get it as soon as we can walk down there. I'll let you know if it helps with the gerd. I hope everything goes well at your gp with your meds. Keep us posted when you can.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

You are more than welcome and good luck. Please let me know how you are doing and if you can get it.

Closed Thread