It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Clarifying Dx - scared to death

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
    smugsy
    (female)

smugsy HB User
    Clarifying Dx - scared to death

I spoke with the nurse who did my Pap smear. She clarified that the results were "atypical endocervical glandular cells favor neoplasty"

I mentioned that exact diagnosis and someone responded, "you have cancer"

Should I believe it? There seems to be a big difference between atypical glandular and atypical endocervical. I know neoplastic meant favoring cancer, but I didn't know it was full blown.

Please can someone call me down or give me more information.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-03-2015 at 12:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
    junipersage
    (female)

junipersage HB Userjunipersage HB Userjunipersage HB User
    Re: Clarifying Dx - scared to death

It definitely does not mean invasive cancer. Just last week I was communicating with a woman who had an "AGC favor neoplasia" pap. Hers turned out to be adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS), which is the highest stage of pre-cancer, but not yet invasive. Another woman with a similar pap result had a number of further tests but could not find any dysplasia, and went on to have a hysterectomy just to be sure, but no dysplasia was ever found.

I did not have an abnormal pap smear, but I did have an "AGC favor neoplasia" result from another test. In the end I was also found to have AIS. I opted for a hysterectomy and am doing just fine now.

I know its so, so hard not to worry, but at this point the only thing you can do is wait for your next test results. You go in tomorrow, right? There are many of us here who have been down this road and other good resources on the web for support, no matter what your tests show. Sending you lots of good thoughts.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-03-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
    smugsy
    (female)

smugsy HB User

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, colposcopy and ECC tomorrow morning.

I truly do hope I'm overreacting. But I've just feel like I'm in a cycle now. I was in a car accident in dec, suffered a concussion which broke something in my brain. I am now trying to deal with OCD, health anxiety, and some other behavioral health issues. Top this cancer scare on me, I'm ready to run to the hills.

I would be perfectly fine with a hysterectomy as I had Essure placed last year as permanent birth control. So I'm done with my family.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
    junipersage
    (female)

Just checking in - how did your colposcopy go?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
    smugsy
    (female)

smugsy HB User

Thanks for checking in. As expected, I was in panic mode and broke down when they came into the room. Thankfully, the nurse has suffered with anxiety disorder for years and could talk me down. (Anxiety disorders suck!)

The procedure was painful, but quick. I think I nearly broke my fiance's hand. :-)

She said she saw no abnormalities on the cervix. She took 6 samples, and did an ECC. I point blank asked her what the worst case is. She said it would be a hysterectomy. I'm perfectly fine with that - I can use a 6 week vacation. :-) she said I'm a "Good citizen" and do all my follow-up work and get yearly exams.

I'm very lucky to have a wonderful OB/GYN office with very supportive and patient people.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
    junipersage
    (female)

So glad you got it over with. Keeping my fingers crossed that you have a quick wait for results and a boring path report!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
    blibbet33
    (female)

blibbet33 HB User

Junipersage, I wanted a hysterectomy too, but the medical providers just want to do LEEP, then "monitor." That is CRAY CRAY at my age and done with kids. Did they first ask you to do LEEP?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
    junipersage
    (female)

@blibbet, yes, the first step was a LEEP. I was unable to get clear margins, so I went on to have a large cone biopsy. That also could not get clear margins, so hysterectomy was the next step. I also had glandular dysplasia, which is more difficult to monitor and is more "sneaky".

If I could have avoided the hyst, I would have. Although I was done with kids, I have struggled with some of the post-hyst changes I have experienced, including weight gain and a "reshaping" of my midsection (lol) since many of the pelvic support structures are removed in a hyst. It has also negatively impacted my sex life. I'm glad I had it done, since it was necessary, but really wish I'd been able to get clear margins and just continued to monitor instead.

I also don't regret having had the LEEP and the cone first. I'm glad that I gave it all I could to avoid the hyst, and even if a hysterectomy is necessary, the cone can provide useful information about what type of hysterectomy surgery would be the most appropriate.

But I definitely understand the anxiety and frustration that comes with repeated testing and monitoring. I hope you get clear results and can put it all behind you for awhile!

Closed Thread