It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Difference between heartburn and indigestion vs nausea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User
    Difference between heartburn and indigestion vs nausea

What is the Difference between heartburn and indigestion vs nausea.

I'm not sure what my symptoms are and confused so don't want to tell the doctor I have heartburn or nausea when I don't or indigestion.

When I type in heartburn in google I get burning or pain by the chest or stomach and that not what I have.

I have what I feels like acid by the upper esophagus by the adams apple. Not the lower esophagus or the stomach.

It better when I stand or walk and worse when I lay down or slouch in the char!!

When I swallow it feels like the acid and some times water is going down from the adams apple and down the esophagus.

Does this sound like heartburn or nausea? When I stand up or swallow it seems to help. When I lay down or slouch it makes it worse.

The reason I say nausea is nausea can be confused with heartburn/indigestion.

But people who get nausea or indigestion by standing up or swallowing does that normally help the person?

Some days are worse than other days and feels like I'm swallowing every 10 seconds!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Difference between heartburn and indigestion vs nausea

Acid reflux can present in various ways. Heartburn is just one of those.

You might try researching Laryngopharyngeal reflux or LPR. Where GERD usually presents with gastro and lower esophageal type symptoms, LPR symptoms can be in the lungs, throat, voice, nasal passages, sinuses, upper esophagus. LPR is often called 'silent' reflux since often there isn't that 'burning' sensation found with heartburn.

I find my refluxing has become directly tied to my IBS and I do sometimes have nausea or vomit when I'm flaring.

You have both upper and lower esophageal sphincters in your esophagus. Usually when the issue is just with your LES, it is more GERD type symptoms. The issues with the UES are most often LPR.

I think if you learn more about GERD vs. LPR, you will find some information that may help you.

Good luck.

Last edited by MountainReader; 06-29-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User

The problem is when I look up some of these terms it does not match my symptoms and I get bit confused.

Some days are better than other days.
    Unless my symptoms are less common than most people with Laryngopharyngeal or some thing else base on what I'm saying.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User

Just to tell you I made a doctors appointment and there is a month waiting list to see doctor. I'm thinking of may be going to medical walk in center.

It could be Laryngopharyngeal or GERD not sure.

What strange about my symptoms is no burning or pain by the chest or stomach!!! No Sore throat, Hoarse voice, Trouble swallowing,Coughing

No indigestion like Burning in the stomach or upper abdomen,Abdominal pain,Bloating (full feeling),gas

The burning sensation in the adams apple area,acid by the upper esophagus by the adams apple area,bitter taste, acid and some times water by the upper esophagus by the adams apple area and belching.

-feel like stomach acid,water or vomit may come up more so if I'm Belching.
    -feel like hot sauce in upper esophagus by the adams apple area

Not sure if there is lot of other members on here with the same symptoms I have.

What is strange is eating some times help the symptoms for x amount of time!! Other thing is it seems to come on even after 10 hours of no food!!!

Yes going to bed and morning I get this too or when I go 10 hours+ no food and I'm bit hungry.

Very strange.

That why I'm not sure if it Laryngopharyngeal or GERD or some thing else. I thought Laryngopharyngeal or GERD come on just after you eat. And 10 hours+ no food and I'm bit hungry seems strange.

Why would I get it going 10 hours+ no food!! Why eating some times help.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
    snorkela
    (female)

snorkela HB User

Sounds hard. Some people have very different responses than the typical flare-up after eating. For example, I only had pain for many years after 10 hours of not eating. I tried to go to bed with a full stomach to avoid that, and rushed to eat breakfast to feel better. I still feel that, but my GERD is so bad that I also get it after eating, I'm pretty much miserable all of the time. It does sound like you have a little of some of these definitions, and it does sound like some kind of acid problem. The exact nature of it is something you can strive to find out, but you may learn to manage symptoms in the meanwhile. Have you tried getting an urgent appointment with the doctor, by having your primary care doc make an urgent referral? In the meanwhile, experiment for a few days with one thing you do differently, such as eating regular meals, then try adding something else, like eating DGL licorice. Hang in there.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User

Quote:
    Sounds hard. Some people have very different responses than the typical flare-up after eating. For example, I only had pain for many years after 10 hours of not eating. I tried to go to bed with a full stomach to avoid that, and rushed to eat breakfast to feel better. I still feel that, but my GERD is so bad that I also get it after eating, I'm pretty much miserable all of the time. It does sound like you have a little of some of these definitions, and it does sound like some kind of acid problem. The exact nature of it is something you can strive to find out, but you may learn to manage symptoms in the meanwhile. Have you tried getting an urgent appointment with the doctor, by having your primary care doc make an urgent referral? In the meanwhile, experiment for a few days with one thing you do differently, such as eating regular meals, then try adding something else, like eating DGL licorice. Hang in there.

My doctors appointment is coming up in two weeks from day. My problem seems to be mostly at night and in the morning or when I go long time with out food.

Not always do I have heartburn or acid feeling by the upper esophagus area. Some times it feels like a post nasal drip feeling in upper esophagus than the mouth. Like water and mucus is irritation the upper esophagus and swallowing to clear the irritation/water and mucus.

When I stand up and walk around it seems to be better than laying down or sitting.

Quote:
    I still feel that, but my GERD is so bad that I also get it after eating, I'm pretty much miserable all of the time.
    I was reading when people go on acid pills that doctors really love to push it before ordering an endoscopy that acid pills can make it worse. Because your body becomes really relied on the pills to feel normal.

Other theories is trigger may effect autonomic nervous system.Like stress,diet change,weight loss,irritable bowel syndrome,new foods added to diet and other factors can trigger or effect the autonomic nervous system .

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User

Other things I will like the doctor to check out to rule out or rule in is Peptic Ulcer, H. Pylori Infection, Gastritis, inflammation of the esophagus or Hiatal Hernia so on.

Even fact I don't have those symptoms and cannot find any thing on the internet based on my symptoms for those things I'm scared it may be some thing really wrong or could be that.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
    Neeck299
    (male)

Neeck299 HB User

From what I read Laryngopharyngeal reflux or LPR effects the upper part and GERD effects the lower part.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Closed Thread