It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Best treatment for HOA (starbursts/haze/etc) years after lasik?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #16
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    The machine provides two images of traffic and headlights. One is normal and the other is its interpretation of your vision. Normal does not have halos on the car headlights. Other than that you would have to ask friends if they see halos and your doctor. I do not have halos now and did not have them before lasik. I have the starbursts and some light distortion. Some people have starbursts as part of their normal vision and these look different to different people. My eye doctor for example has starbursts as part of his natural vision. His are uneven and sound assymmetrical from his description to me. He sees them on traffic lights and cars at night. My lasik given bursts are even and symmetrical in one eye and jumbly in the other eye. Best told with a picture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
    nowayman
    (male)

nowayman HB User
    Re: Best treatment for HOA (starbursts/haze/etc) years after lasik?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    The machine provides two images of traffic and headlights. One is normal and the other is its interpretation of your vision. Normal does not have halos on the car headlights. Other than that you would have to ask friends if they see halos and your doctor. I do not have halos now and did not have them before lasik. I have the starbursts and some light distortion. Some people have starbursts as part of their normal vision and these look different to different people. My eye doctor for example has starbursts as part of his natural vision. His are uneven and sound assymmetrical from his description to me. He sees them on traffic lights and cars at night. My lasik given bursts are even and symmetrical in one eye and jumbly in the other eye. Best told with a picture.

so what have you done since then? have you explored wavefront glasses or wavefront prk?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    I have zeiss glasses that resolve the induced mixed astigmatism. But depending on eye dryness, I do not usually need them - unless the eyes are extremely dry. Also It does not address the starburts. I do not know what wavefront glasses are. I do not want more surgery until a firm reason for these issues is determined. My lasik doctor has no idea. My opthamologist has no idea. My lasik doc wants to take measurements on the topo machine if he ever gets one. My eyes are weird in that the whole visual experience fluctuates without warning. If the eyes are very dry that leads to worsening aberrations. Sometimes I see any of these things with and without dryness: distorted light source with bursts, no distortion of light source with bursts, minor distortion with minimal tiny to no bursts meaning nearly normal vision, no distortion but smaller or thinner burst or less bursts or bursts in a different spot than usual. Sometimes I leave a brightly lit indoor space for a dark nighttime space and I see huge bursts until the pupil adjusts, other times I have none of that. I have not tried alphagan p because its worthless for day to day life, it would obviously help make the pupil small and thus mask seeing the aberrations, but is impractical for the lighting conditions that occur in everyday life.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
    nowayman
    (male)

nowayman HB User

i see.

one of my doctors suggested i go through the following first before i consider additional surgery.

dry eye treatment - i do have dry eyes
    over minus glasses - extra prescription for night time
    wavefront glasses - glasses made with your wavefront imprint in mind.

luckily there is a topo machine and laser in the state i live in but i won't explore that option until like you said a specific reason is identified. even that doctor said that there will be an improvement after surgery but how much he couldn't quantify.

for me i think my issues stem from small optical zone because alphagen p has some success in minimizing my issues - large faded halo behind lights but bright center from light source which only occurs at night. there are some mild starbursts indoor from small light sources like leds but that's a minor issue imo.

i see 20/20 in day light and the image i see at night is a uniform circle almost like a thumbprint/dandelion.

im also about 3.5 months into surgery too so who knows if things will improve by 6 months

Last edited by nowayman; 03-05-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #20
    kt77
    (male)

kt77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskeythekid View Post
    I had no starbursts before either. My optometrist used the zeist machine and it measures hoa's which I now have outside of the normal range.
    I am going find a doctor with one of these machines as well. The Lasik doctors are no help whatsoever, and my regular optometrist just tells me I test 20/20 and have no astigmatism. I am suspecting that I have a significant number of HOAs that hopefully this machine would pick up on.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 AM   #21
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User

bens123 - Any update? I'm in a very similar situation.

nowayman - Curious if things have improved for you. 'Dandelions' brought a smile to my face with a subject that has caused me only anger and depression, so thank you.

Curious about 'topolink'. I did a quick search but only got a few articles from 15 years ago. Sounds more or less like an early version of wavefront LASIK.

Regarding PRK vs. LASIK: I had wavefront LASIK in one eye and wavefront PRK in the other in May 2011. (The PRK eye had a thinner cornea, just below the thickness the surgeon recommended for LASIK.) Both procedures were done at the same time on the same laser.

My PRK eye has always been sharper than my LASIK eye, which has regressed to -0.75 with a little astigmatism. My PRK eye is still at 20/15. The bad news is that both eyes have practically the same amount of halo/starburst and dryness.

I went back on Restasis and a small omega-3 supplement nearly a year ago to try to improve the dryness, but if anything I'm using more artificial tears now.

Alphagan partly helped night vision (I could watch movies in a theater without distraction) but actually made starbursts worse. In any case, I had to start using it twice a day for suspected glaucoma, so the pupil effect wore off... which sucks.

I have wavefront glasses which are very sharp, but unfortunately do nothing for the halo/starburst.

So my attempts thus far have been discouraging, but there are a few more options. I finally made an appointment with a new ophthalmologist who seems knowledgeable about dry eye. I also want to try reverse geometry/scleral lenses. I think I've been putting these off because, if they don't work, the only option left would be another laser surgery and I don't know that I could ever go through with that again. At which point, I'd have to accept that some things will never look as good as they did before May 2011.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #22
    nowayman
    (male)

nowayman HB User

i ended up getting an wavefront guided enhancement which improved my symptoms enough so that i can drive at night. not perfect but much better than i was before.

i was advised that the new idesign wavefront guided procedure could help for cases like ours but the best may be to do the hard contacts

Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #23
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User

nowayman, glad to hear you've gotten some relief. Did you try anything else first? Also, was your original procedure wavefront guided or no?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #24
    excelview
    (male)

excelview HB User

Hi.. I am post lasik 9 month .
    Pre lasik I have no issues that are uncorrectable with lenses. Bit now I am suffering from significant disturbing higher order aberration. My pupil is large up to 7.8 mm in the dark with the treatment zone is only 6mm. Previois prescription was -9.0.

I read about scleral lense for post lasik patient. Maybe we can consider it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lasik