It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Considering Lasik but now I'm scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
    yescats
    (male)

yescats HB User
    Considering Lasik but now I'm scared!

Until I found this forum I thought Lasik was pretty much risk free. Now I'm reading all sorts of negative things here. I was approved for $4500 for the Lasik so I'm seriously considering it. I am 20/250 and can't see well near as well, so I might need monovision or have it set to 20/20 and wear reading glasses.

1) Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

2) Should I go for monovision or 20/20 with reading glasses? (BTW, I work a lot on the computer)

3) Are there other forums and way to rearch this that might be helpful?

Thanks so much,

Cat Montrose

Last edited by yescats; 07-08-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    If you are worried then skip it. Your eyes are too important.

You can try monovision with contact lenses before you commit to it. Ask your eye doctor. Some people love it, others say it makes them dizzy.

You can also experiment with 20/20 and reading glasses with contacts as well.

I had a bad experience with lasik so I wish I would have found this forum in advance. My near vision is less sharp, the recovery time period was a lot longer than promised - the first 9 months to a year I had all sorts of blurring, distortions, and overcorrection which mostly worked themselves out I guess as the inflammation improved.

I am 2.5 years now and I still have a lasik induced astigmatism in one eye, dryness, and starbursts. The starbursts in dim lights is by far the worst part of my outcome. When the lights get dim or get turned off, a little led light will go from a perfect little dot and then grow starbursts as my pupils expand. They look like prickles or spider legs. These are not a little nuisance, it is a big problem.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User
    Re: Considering Lasik but now I'm scared!

Benefit vs risk is a tough thing.

My own experience has made me very risk-averse. It's true, the people who post here are the ones with the complications. I know several people who also had it done, and only heard one minor complaint.

How risky something sounds depends on how you present the information. Here's an example. A study from last year surveyed physicians who had laser vision correction at a single clinic between 2000 and 2012. The advantage to surveying only physicians is that they make the best-informed patients: selecting the right facility, surgeon, and procedure; understanding the risks; evaluating the outcome.

Of those who responded, 85% thought their vision ended up better compared to what they had with glasses/contacts. 96% said they would get the procedure again. This sounds amazing - the study's authors certainly thought so.

And yet, this data also means that 4% would not get the procedure again. That's 1 in 25. It doesn't necessarily mean things went horribly wrong, but it's not encouraging either. It does imply a lot of unpredictability. Sure, this is just one study at one clinic and it's not perfect. Many doctors didn't respond to the survey. If we assume it was because they had no complaints, then "1 in 25" improves to 1 in 50. That would be great odds for a raffle ticket. But we're talking unnecessary surgery on an extremely intricate and important organ.

At the very least, don't rush into anything and don't be swayed by limited time offers, special financing and other marketing gimmicks. Make sure you find a top-rated, board certified, very experienced surgeon/facility, don't be shy asking about patient complications they've had, and get a second opinion. Ask about dry eye and night vision problems. It's not enough for the doctor to say "Most of our patients are 20/20 afterwards." That is the most primitive measure of eyesight possible. I'm 20/15 in one eye and about 20/25 in the other, but at this point, four years later, I still wish I could undo the procedure and have my old, heavily nearsighted eyes back.

Last edited by angsty; 07-10-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    I agree with Angsty

I am also 20/20 per an eye chart. But try measuring my acuity in dim light or on a dark road or the more intangible is when a fast moving object is coming at you in variable lighting like a tennis ball and you misinterpret its position ever so slightly and you quickly realize that slight nuances in vision matter alot and are not measurable or correctable.

Those surveys also neglect to ask about specifics they usually only ask if the person is satisfied. Many people are willing to live with imperfections because they either hated their glasses more or they were intolerant to contact lenses. The surveys need to dig deeper to get real facts. I know at least four people off of the top of my head who said they love their lasik results and would not go back- all have post lasik issues but they do not care. None of them shared their problems with me until after I had lasik and then had better questions to ask. 4 out of 4 have some form of dry eye where they use drops but its not bad enough to warrant complaint for example one person uses drops a few times a day, another only a few times a week. One has starbursts where the street light has streaks that go half way to the street yet still prefers the result to glasses.

Ask specific questions of your friends regarding specific complications. Then weigh how much you like or hate your vision compared to possible adverse outcomes or possible great outcomes and then you will know.

As a person living with starbursts, it is disturbing to have crisp vision deteriorate based on lighting conditions. I would stick with my contact lenses had I have known.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I have 20/200 vision and don't plan to have it.

Maybe if I was 21 I'd do it.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User

Yes, as whiskeythekid says, some people are just a lot less picky. Unfortunately, I work in the film industry and have a very sensitive visual perception.

Anyone who's interested please PM me and I can share a link to a pretty good approximation of what my night vision is often like.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
    OzLaser
    (female)

OzLaser HB User

Me: -4.0 both eyes, slight astigmatism. Corneas thin but not too thin (about 500 microns)

Hi YesCats
    I found this website before my Intralase Lasik and was quite hesitant about having my surgery. I know there are thousands of happy people that have had Lasik but I wanted to read about the ones that weren't happy. I wrote a list of questions for my opthamologist and he answered them all. My main concerns were: was there any reason I couldn't expect very good, clear distance vision? Was I at risk for ecstasia? Would there be problems with the flap (knowing they never really heal)? Did some patients have vision problems that couldn't be fixed even without glasses?

He was honest and said 98% of patients have very clear vision. 2% will need a "touch up" I was glad he didn't placate me by saying it wouldn't happen to me. I asked if he had any patients that wish they didn't have the procedure? He said yes, but all were due to eye dryness, none due to vision problems. My Dr didn't downplay any of the risks, but I decided to go ahead. As clear distance vision was most important to me he didn't undercorrect one eye for reading (they offer that for people about 40 and older).

I had my surgery late yesterday afternoon. I won't go into the procedure as there are lots of posts about that. The suction was uncomfortable but overall it was faster and easier than I thought.

I got home, ate something and went to bed with a sleeping tablet. They gave me paracetamol with codeine. It wasn't enough. I added a different painkiller as well. 2 hours later I woke with the worst pain. I wanted to scratch my eyes out. It felt like someone threw sand in my eyeswith a stinging poison. Felt like a 9/10 pain. Hubby had endone so I took that with 2 more sleeping tablets.

I woke in the middle of he night with the bad pain gone.

(The Dr said this morning that my pain was rare, most people only have scratchy eyes).

WHen I woke this morning my eyes were scratchy but bad pain gone. Left eye very clear! Right eye slightly blurry but I COULD SEE! Had my checkup and Dr said all good, a little hazy which is to be expected. 20/20 vision.

Not even 24 hours yet. I am glad I did it. Of course I don't know the long term efffects but I don't regret it at all.

Closed Thread