It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Butterfly rash?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
    mynamewastaken
    (female)

mynamewastaken HB User
    Butterfly rash?

Is the butterfly rash an actual rash or can it be just redness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
    Amygdala
    (female)

Amygdala HB UserAmygdala HB UserAmygdala HB UserAmygdala HB User
    Re: Butterfly rash?

About 1 or 2 weeks after the birth of my first child, I developed this type of redness which was called a butterfly rash. Dermatologist immediately tested for lupus, as that is one of the signs, but came back negative. No, mine didn't itch. Just gross.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

A butterfly rash can just be redness. It is often transient, and brought on by sun exposure, overheating, alcohol, or can just come "out of the blue". A negative ANA does not rule out lupus, as it could be too early to be positive, or a person can be one of the 4-5% with lupus who do not have a + ANA. So it bears watching and retesting, especially if other symptoms are present. Every 6-12 months retesting is reasonable, depending on what else is going on.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #4
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

It could also be fifth disease.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi & welcome! Here a couple more thoughts. First, the malar rash can be very difficult to distinguish from *rosacea*.

Also, a defining characteristic is that it spares the naso-labial folds, those little indented lines that run from the outer side of your nostrils to the outer edges of your lip. Those folds don't turn red.

Do you have other symptoms? I hope not, but if you do, best bet would be to see a rheumatologist, who would take your lifetime medical history and run specialty labs. (GP's may *think* they know lupus, but most don't, at least not from what I've seen & heard.)

You could find some basic info on lupus (incl various rashes) in the sticky posts ( = the permanent info posts located right above the thread list). We're here whenever you want to talk. Sending best wishes, V

Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
    mynamewastaken
    (female)

mynamewastaken HB User

Thanks for the replies. I have redness on my cheeks that resembles the butterfly wings but it isn't on my nose. Every time this happens I also have extremely dry eyes. It seems like I will feel my cheeks burning and then my eyes dry out and feel gritty. The redness isn't on my naslolabial folds either. I can remember this happening since I was at least 30. I'm 39 now. I don't think I really have any other symptoms. I have some fatigue and mild aches and pains. I think that's all perimenopause related because my last period was July 29. I've been on antibiotics for strep throat and it seems like the redness and dry eyes are happening more since I've been taking them. I googled (I know, bad idea) and the only things that came up were rosacea and lupus. Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Here are a few more thoughts. First, you could read the sticky posts (permanent info posts) located above the thread list. They're quite basic but give you a small toehold on a complex subject---and, by extension, some insight into other closely related AI's. (Point is, they are tricky, all of them.)
    1. Check antibiotic side effects. Some warn against sun. (I've seen redness happen with several antibiotics, ranging from some redness to lobster-red.)
    2. Ditto with possibility of eye dryness.
    3. If you find no plausible side effects, ask GP to run the "threshold" autoimmune test, antinuclear antibody (ANA). It can't diagnose any condition just by itself, unfortunately. If it comes back meaningfully positive, see a rheumatologist; but even if it doesn't, if your symptoms persist, see a rheum. (ANA is mostly but not always positive in SLE; and it's positive far less often in RA; etc. Meaning, there's no real ANA consistency across conditions that can cause similar symptoms, but even so, it's a rational starting point.)

I think a good doctor would run tests not just for lupus, but for "close cousins" as well, like Sjogren's (which features eye/mouth dryness), Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD), etc. Also, thyroid levels and levels of key vitamins (like B-12, Folate, D, etc.) He/she would also look for anomalies on basic labs.

Figuring things out is obviously harder when hormone levels may be fluctuating. (Lupus, for one, loves to act up during such shifts.) You could ask your GYN or GP to run blood tests to see if you really *are* in perimenopause. Also---this happened to me---women with certain autoimmunes can go thru menopause years earlier than the norm. (I was stunned when my periods stopped on a dime 4 years prior to being dx'ed with lupus. I was depressed about that, and also felt lousy with other symptoms on the rise.)

Anyhow... we'll look forward to more questions &/or updates. We're always here when you want to talk. Sending hugs, Vee

Old 10-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
    mynamewastaken
    (female)

mynamewastaken HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me and provide me with that information. I see my GP in December and I will ask her about the ANA test.

I took the last of my antibiotics yesterday. I was on amoxicillin and after looking up the side effects I saw that dry eyes was one of them. Also mentioned was a rash, but it's not specific to the face and usually occurs all over the body.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind me asking.

Does the butterfly rash come and go? It may last an hour or two for me and then it's gone.

Does the sun always trigger the rash? I was at the beach in June for a week and was in the sun for hours daily and didn't have the rash then.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In a list of butterfly-like rashes, I just saw one I've never heard of, a rash that can crop up in the wake of Strep A (who knew?). It's called Erysipelas, a/k/a St. Anthony's Fire. If severe, it could require treatment with penicillin, to prevent bacteria from entering the bloodstream. This isn't meant to scare you, instead to suggest that you play it VERY safe & consult your doctor.

As for the lupus butterfly rash, I don't think sun "always" triggers it: it can certainly appear on all its own, without sun. But I believe that some people with lupus who get the rash probably can get sun w/o a resulting rash. Meaning, I believe people vary, and that like seemingly everything else in lupus, there are no hard & fast rules.

But for the reasons above, I vote (if I'm even allowed to vote? ) for contacting your doctor. Keep us posted, OK, and good luck!

Reply Reply