It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Blood tests a bit off ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
    Tiffyjohnkoski
    (female)

Tiffyjohnkoski HB User
    Blood tests a bit off ...

I'm sure you guys have better things to do than qualm my fears, but if you have a moment to hear me out I would be very grateful.

In the last year I've been very sick. It started with joint pain, migraines, and crippling fatigue. As times progressed I sweat profusely when it is even mildly warm outside. I've also begun to get bad night sweats. I'm freezing but still soaking through all my sheets. This occurs a few times a week. I also have been bleeding under my skin whenever I do things like carry grocery bags, etc. and that wasn't something that would happen in the past. I seem to be bleeding more heavily when I do.
    I've had low leukocytosis for about 4 years, but it has jumped from 11500 to 13500 in a little under a month. My platelets were just a tiny bit high. My ESR went from 22 to 55, and my CRP 12 to 23 in the same time period. I haven't been sick or having any particular reactions. My doctor didn't do a full detail on the components of the WBC, just noted that I had high granulocytes and monocytes.

I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but my grandmother has leukemia so it's been hovering at the back of my mind. The labs I had the doctor called me with, I don't meet him again to discuss them until the end of the month.

I'm sorry, I'm stressing no and I shouldn't be. Thanks you for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
    zipq
    Inactive
    (female)

zipq HB User
    Re: Blood tests a bit off ...

Hopefully your doctor will be able to give you answers once he sees your blood work, but if s/he doesn’t have the answer then it's possible that you might be gluten-intolerant.

I read your symptoms and the ones you listed are associated with gluten-intolerance....

Pain, migraines, crippling fatigue, excessive sweating, and bruising (if that’s what you mean by seeing the blood under your skin).

Also gluten-intolerance has been known to make allergies worse, cause puking, diarrhea, constipation, headaches, bruising, excessive sweating, stinky sweat, sometimes persistent unexplained low grade fevers, high vitamin b12 but still excessive tiredness (which means the nutrients aren't getting absorbed into the system and it's just staying in the blood stream), fatigue, yeast infections, brain fog, dizziness, and soooo many other symptoms which you may not have known could be related. Just do a search of "symptoms of gluten-intolerance" to find out more.

A gluten-free diet will let you see if gluten-intolerance is the cause of your symptoms. There are blood tests and other invasive procedures you can do to test for gluten-intolerance, BUT unless you are deathly sick you don't have to get those tests done. You can find out by simply going on a gluten-free diet for at least 2 weeks (the time it would take to get the gluten fully out of your system). Ideally I'd wait maybe a month to decide if the symptoms are subsiding, but at least give it 2 weeks before giving up.

If this does end up being the cause of your symptoms you should stay on the gluten-free diet from here on out. Don't worry! It may seem daunting, but trust me, there are far worse things to deal with than being gluten-intolerant. Once you get the hang of what you can and can't eat, it becomes easy and just an everyday part of life. All that will change is that you'll just need to do a little more planning ahead of time and make sure to pack meals/snacks for yourself that are gluten-free.

I am in my late 20's and just discovered a few months ago that I have become gluten-intolerant. I never had any problems with this as a child, but over the last few years I developed many symptoms and just had to suffer with it until I was able to find the answer. Gluten-intolerance isn't always something you are born with. It can develop at any time, any age.

Gluten intolerance is a condition that causes a person to react after ingesting gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Currently, the only treatment for gluten intolerance is following a gluten-free diet, which excludes all wheat, barley, rye and cross-contaminated oats.

If you interested in trying the gluten-free diet, here are a few things I learned along the way that might help you...

There are many foods that are already naturally gluten-free. Just do a little research and you should be able to find them. You may not get a complete list of foods, but you should be able to determine yourself if something is gluten-free by reading the ingredients on the label. The product ISN'T gluten-free if any of the ingredients have these words attached to it: "wheat", "yeast", "barley", "malt" (made from barley), and "rye".

Do not eat processed lunch meats or packaged shredded cheese. There are ingredients in those items, some kind of preservatives, that have gluten in them. You can, however, eat fresh deli meat or cheese that is fresh (in block form). So if you want to have shredded cheese you just have to shred it yourself

Even items like pizza sauce, gravy, and other dressings/sauces can be filled with gluten because they often use wheat to thicken up sauces. However, I've found that with a little searching you can always find good alternatives. There's a gluten-free pizza sauce and some bbq sauces are gluten-free and there are gravy packets that are gluten-free as well. You just have to read the label. Many of these will list "gluten-free" somewhere on the label, but regardless, just read the ingredients, because sometimes something is gluten-free but it just isn't said on the label.

You need to avoid fast food places unless the food is something like fruit or a salad because fast food restaurants use "pre-cooked" foods so that the food will cook much faster and the preservatives that are in that food have gluten in them. Also don't eat things like fried chicken or anything fried unless the flour and breading that it was cooked in was gluten-free.

You can't eat wheat items or things with gluten in it like bread, crackers, cookies, cereal, cake, oatmeal, spaghetti noodles, and cereal, but there are gluten free breads, crackers, cookies, cereal, cake, oatmeal, spaghetti noodles, and cereal that you can eat instead, so really you won't be as limited with your food as you might think. For example, you have to avoid cereals that have wheat in them, but there are cereals like Chex that are gluten free and there are spaghetti noodles that are made with either corn or brown rice that you can eat instead.

Avoid items that are made with white rice and wheat. Look for items that are made with brown rice, corn, or something else besides the wheat. When shopping for gluten-free items at the grocery store I've found that some products will say “gluten free” somewhere on the front of the label and other times sometimes the back of the label will say “gluten free” in small letters.

I hope this is the answer that you are looking for. I wish you well. God bless

-Heather

Last edited by zipq; 12-15-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
    ZVL01
    (female)

ZVL01 HB User
    Re: Blood tests a bit off ...

Any updates?

Closed Thread