It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Petechiae?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
    Semis
    (male)

Semis HB User
    Petechiae?!

I have been worrying my absolute head off because of these tiny, pinprick red spots on my arms. They only appear on my arms and very little amount everywhere else. If you look at my arms, you wouldn't see them unless you really looked for them. I don't have them on my face. I don't have any of the purpura or anything else. Neither do I have any bruises or any bone pain. But thanks to the internet I fully convinced myself that I have cancer.

So I went to the doctor's and told him about these spots. I described it as I just did in the paragraph above and he said I'm worrying about nothing and if I have 4x amount as I do now, then I should come over again for another checkup. So after a 3 hour wait time I was just blown off. I am a teen and I have an anxiety problem. Many young people died from leukaemia and it's very common with young people like me, and I have a life ahead of me I really don't want to throw away because of something that can't be cured.

I ask of 1 thing:
    Please give me your opinions, I can't take any more of this
    If you need any more details, do not hesitate to ask

Last edited by mod85; 05-22-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Misspellings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
    rumaib
    (female)

rumaib HB User
    Re: Petechiae?!

OMG SAME I'm 16 years old and I've been suffering from anxiety since July 2015.
    I dont know what's wrong with me I mean at that time I completely messed up and thought I wanna gonna have a heart attack but after the checkup the only answer to my wholesome queries is 'its anxiety and nothing else youre completely normal'.
    Not that I believe that I'm normal . So ive been looking up on every kind of disease and all that convinced that I'm not normal.
    Believe me I do more research on diseases, their symptoms etc than any other thing. This 'fear' is totally killing me. Idk my friends say that I overthink and that is what my family and doctors say too. So can u really tell how many have you got? On your hands? On each hand? So that I can see if mine are too much or just in a normal amount.
    So a day or two-like on 8th Feb 2016, these red spots appeared on my skin. They are little harmless ones. They do not irritate or anything. But it eats me up everytime.
    Idk what to do. Just red spots, no fever, no back or chest or any other body part pain, no swelling, just those spots and it's KILLING ME WHAT IS WRONG WHY ARE THEY EVEN THERE?!
    I've had these before like sometime in December 2015 and they disappeared in 3 to 4 days BUT STILL WHAT IS THIS?!
    OR IM NORMAL AND JUST OVERTHINKING?!

Last edited by rumaib; 02-11-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
    firesandflowers
    (female)

firesandflowers HB User

My advice? If you're really anxious about it, try to demand a CBC (blood panel) to give you peace of mind. Find a new doctor if yours won't do it, but it's a pretty common test I think. They take a couple viles of blood and send it off to a lab check for a bunch of things... platelet, red & white blood cell counts and so on.

I'm no doctor, but you probably have nothing to worry about if that's your only symptom. It's easy to convince yourself you've got something serious by googling symptoms when really there's nothing wrong (I have always had anxiety too and used to do this all the time). If anything is wrong though, it's likely to show up on a CBC test. I got one at my family doctors office.

Along with petechia I had headaches, severe fatigue, mysterious bruising all over and a bloodshot eye though, so it didn't take much convincing in my case. I looked and felt like crap. I did end up having leukemia, but I don't want to scare anyone - again, I had a bunch of other symptoms. I'm in remission now. They've come a long way with targeted treatments, fewer side effects and better outcomes!

Good luck - I know it's hard, but try not to worry!

Last edited by firesandflowers; 02-18-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: typo ;)

Old 02-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

I really do not think it's cancer. Could it be a allergic reaction to something? Have you tried to take benadryl? That may help

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
    Nikki987654321
    (female)

Nikki987654321 HB User

Ask doc for CBC with P and D, just for peace of mind...do you have ANY OTHER symptoms?? Lethargy, easy bruising, bleeding gums...I don't think it's leukemia...but don't think it would hurt to go see a dermatologist to make sure it's not anything to worry about...good luck!! Be your own patient advocate...these days, you can't start too young about sticking up for yourself...

Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
    kaylarus
    (female)

kaylarus HB User

Those little red dots can be caused by low platelets which has many causes. The red dots can also be caused by inflamitory processes. I got them from a kind of vasculitus. I'd get them on my arms from shopping bags. I've also had things that looked the same but we more like mini hives. Yes get a blood test. & take pics when it's bad.

Closed Thread