It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Beer and heart palpitations?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2002, 08:46 PM   #1
    arizona_dreamin

arizona_dreamin HB User
    Post Beer and heart palpitations?

Hi ev1,
    Just wondering if too much beer can cause heart palpitations or even sleep problems in the long run? Thanks!

------------------
    ~~S~~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2002, 10:21 AM   #2
    MaineGal37

MaineGal37 HB User
    Arizona,

I'm no expert, but I DO know from my own personal experiences that too much beer, or even a few for me, causes me to have heart palpitations. And contrary to most people's beliefs, it will screw up your sleep patern as well, even prevent you from entering the stage of sleep that is really restful. I'm having a problem right now, as I have posted under another topic, with Ambien withdrawal. A drug prescribed to me FOR sleep so that I CAN. But....as desperate as I am to get a good night's sleep, I won't resort to drinking to "get tired" because I know that it sort of backfires on me. Believe it or not, Tylenol PM's or Benadryl does that same thing to me......makes me feel really drugged and tired but I never really go into a real sleep and I feel worse for the ware. I've seen a cardiologist several times over the years for my palpitations, and he says that I'm just one of those people who are very aware of "skipped beats" or "palpitations".......most people have them all the time and just don't seem to focus on it like I do. I get them alot when I'm overtired, or when I drink, and I hate it. Have you ever asked your doc about yours?

Old 07-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
    aideen

aideen HB User
    My boyfriend and myself found that hayfever tablets called Zirtek worked to relax us enough to get a good nights sleep. I don't use them often but before my exams, when I wasn't sleeping well,I took one to ensure a rested night.
    My boyfriend is an alcoholic and had just broken off with me before my exams (as he felt there was no point for me as he had been drinking again). When he used Zirtek when trying to get sleep in the first weeks of recovery (which has been on numerous occassions now!), he would take two at a time. That is the difference between an addict and non-addict - I would only take a half of one! Anyway, they might help and they're not addictive (as far as I know). There were some after-effects if you took two at a go - the next day, I felt grogy and slightly feverish. As with any drug, take with care and respect!

Old 07-07-2002, 09:04 PM   #4
    jroeglin

jroeglin HB User
    I definitely think that too much drinking can cause heart palpitations. I have noticed that in my days of drinking and partying all the time, the next day I would have the wierdest hangover. I didn't have the normal headache, I would have heart palpitations, and I would sometimes feel like I couldn't breath, and then I would have even more heart palpitations. I would feel dizzy too. I know that I would smoke alot more on nights that I was out, so that would explain the feelings of not being able to breathe, but, I would just feel so wierd. I knew at that point that my drinking had gotten out of hand, and I have totally cut back because the hangover the next day usually is not worth the night before. I know that I can go out now and have just a beer, but since I got a DUI a couple years ago, I don't even risk that. My priorities have changed alot in the last couple of years.

Old 07-08-2002, 02:01 AM   #5
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    Hi, anxiety feels very much like a real bad hangover at times, my doc described this to me as some times when i had a drink the next day id have a panic attack ( im not an alcoholic or anthing this is some one has a drink at the weekend couldnt help but reply) take care

Old 07-08-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
    arizona_dreamin

arizona_dreamin HB User
    Smile

Thanks for replyign everyone!
    When I would drink I would be able to sleep just fine lol. But I noticed that when I don't drink and try to sleep I will get jerked out of my sleep just as I am about to doze off. When This happens, my heart feels like it skips a beat or something. It's really wierd. Plus I will get this really wierd buzzing sensation in my body.

------------------
    ~~S~~

Closed Thread