It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lower Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
    florensa
    (female)

florensa HB User
    Lower Back Pain

i have had lower back pain that is fairly centralize (feels like my spine) for just over 4 years (am currently 25yo) every time i arch my back. its kindof like a shock pain that makes me freeze, and unable to move for about a minute or so. 3 years ago i was pregnant and from 4 months in all the way to birth I had a very sore back as well as back pain. i did not have an appidural or any pain meds during birth, so that could not have contributed to making the back pain progressively worse. it started by becoming more often as i arched backwards, to being more sensitive to the point where even reaching too far back will start the pain.

last week as i was towards the end of my work day, my back was feeling pretty sore from sitting in an office chair all day. so I had the great idea of using my arms to prop my self up while my bottom hang to decompress my back. felt pretty good until I let myself drop back into the chair, and it felt like I broke something. after a few minutes pain started to ease away... and maybe about 5 minutes later i was able to adjust myself and sit up properly. fast forward 4 days later I wake up with a sore back kind of like I did back late in my pregnancy (deffinitly not pregnant now tho!) followed by a full day of pain. I couldn't carry my 2 year old, and could not lean forward or back without pain. it seemed to go away on its own the next two days, and its been hit and miss for the past few days.

anyone with any similar experience that can offer any advice?

NOTE: pain is always in the exact same spot that feels right on my spine about the height of my waist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Lower Back Pain

Welcome to the board.

I wonder if you were very activity in a sport such as gymnastics or diving, or perhaps cheerleading or dance as a teen?

Since you mentioned that bending backward brings on the symptoms, I am wondering if you might have spondylolisthesis. This is a long word for a condition where one bone in the spine (vertebra) slides over the top of the adjacent vertebra. Young people who do activities that puts the spine in extension are susceptible to developing this condition. It usually occurs in the two lower lumbar segments, and causes symptoms that come and go.

The best way to diagnose this is by having a flexion/extension x-ray.

I would suggest you get up every hour and take a short walk around your office. Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the spine than either standing or lying down. It helps to get up and move around every hour or so, just to get the blood moving and give the discs a little breathing room. Try to avoid bending backward, and any repetitious bending forward. Also, avoid twisting at the waist.

I would suggest you visit your doctor and get a flexion/extension x-ray...if it is spondylolisthesis, a course of physical therapy will show you the proper way to strengthen the back and core, which will help to support this part of the spine. This is a mechanical problem, and as such, will not go away on its own.

Of course we are not doctors, just fellow spineys, so I may be wrong...but, that's what it sounds like to me!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
    dahel
    (female)

dahel HB User

teteri66 gave a good advice. I do a job where i have to sit all day too. So i take short walks after a short while. it helps in keeping your body fit and removes stress from lower back.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
    Balakumar
    (male)

Balakumar HB User

First consult with your doctor...Due to stressful work lower back pain is most common complaint nowadays. Sleeping postures will provide quite relief from your back pain. The most relaxing sleeping posture is lying down on your stomach with your arms on your side and turning your head on one side. You can try out latex mattress for a change which gives back support and comfort resulting in lower backpain relief.

Reply Reply