It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulna Shortening This friday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User
    Ulna Shortening This friday

I'm relatively young(23), and i'll be getting it done this friday at 4:45am.
    Honestly, how bad is this thing? I've watched video's of it, prior posts about it.
    I've read up about as much as i think possible, would just like to get some live feedback on it. For the most part I've got full function of my hand/wrists, its just somewhat painful sometimes, and when washing my hands, the wrist can feel loose and unstable.
    I've had to reschedule my appointment a few times because of work so it's been about two months since I've spoken to my doc(George White, Orlando), I think his plan was 4 weeks cast, 4 weeks sling, 4 weeks PT. is that about the norm?

Tldr -> V

How we got here vv

I "broke" my wrist..i think??? when i was around 10, all i remember is when i fell off the monkey bars my ulna/radius was pushed up against my wrist(never broke skin). I'm relatively thin, 5'9 150, and my ulna's have always been slightly pronounced, never thought much of it until in august at the gym. I picked up a heavier dumbbell than i should have and i think my ulna slipped form the set position it's been in all these years and it throbs constantly/causes pain working out now. Its quite a bit longer than it should be so we're getting this done.

Thanks everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Ulna Shortening This friday

How will ulnar shortening address your laxity? I'm a bit confused about that.

If you have chronic inflammation from your excessive movement and the longer ulnar bone, it should help with the pain. That was part of why I had mine. I do have hypermobility/laxity issues.

I was in the initial slab cast for about 2 weeks until swelling went down and I got the stitches out. After that, I had a fiberglass cast. That was supposed to be for 4 weeks. I had to have a replacement within a couple weeks because I had so much more swelling that went down and I was flopping in it. After 6 weeks, the bone should be healed. I started PT after the cast came off. I struggled some with that. With the surgery, I went from full ROM with pain to not being able to supinate (palm up). Even with regular PT, I couldn't get there. In the end, it turned out my plate was loose. Once I had it out, my full ROM returned. I am now pain free too.

If you look at it, healing from the surgery is like healing from surgery for a broken bone. While I restricted lifting, I was able to have some use of the hand in the cast. I was also able to drive, etc... I didn't see it as much different than the brace I'd worn for so long prior. My surgery was on my dominate hand.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Honestly I'm not sure how it will address the laxity in actual terms. But the doc feels it will make it more "stable" in there. When I wash my hands it almost feels as if it's slippery and dislocated? Don't know how to actually describe it.
    My ulna sort of appears to be somewhat on a different plane than my radius so that may also have something to do with it?

The most I've talked to the doc was two months ago so I don't remember everything about his whole plan, on my way to the office right now to get this done.

The following user gives a hug of support to Alfrs:
    MountainReader (04-23-2016)
    Old 04-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi. Hope everything went well today.

Elevation, ice, and staying on top of the initial pain will be your best friends in the next couple days.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Thanks for the advice. Laying on my back with two pillows propped under my arm, my elbows on one, and hand on top of the other(like stairs, if that makes sense, hopefully that's propped up enough). Just got back movement of my thumb after my most recent nap. Hopefully the pains not too bad when it starts

Old 04-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

How much pain should I be in? I've been in zero honestly. I took a pain pill just to be safe when I woke up around 5 in the middle of the night, and didn't again until 5pm( just to be safe, but I had no pain in between). So 12 hours between pills, about 6 hours of being awake between. Do I just have a high pain tolerance? Did my doc do a great job? The nerve block couldn't still be in my system 40 hours later could it?

This has been a cake walk thus far.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glad to hear you haven't had pain issues yet.

Your youth is probably in your favor. Being aware and pro-active of your pain is good if/when it hits. Also, if you are icing a lot it helps. It does go through your splint. Don't let the lack of pain lead you to think you don't need to keep elevating still though.

Unfortunately, I've had 6 joint/bone surgeries in recent years. During one of my shoulder surgeries, I was feeling the same about the pain as what you described. I realized that I had so much pain before surgery that the surgical pain was almost a 'relief' from what I'd been used to.

Here's wishing you continued good healing.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #8
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Your nerve block could still be in your system, depending on what/how much they injected. I was in a quite a bit of pain around day 3, but as long as I stayed on top of my meds I was all right! I'm only 20, and had this done in September.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Pain never came ever fortunately. 23rd was the last pill I took since I didn't see any reason with no pain. I actually went back and scoped your post cameragirl before I posted. Has everything gone well for you?

I'm headed to the doc tomorrow (10 days post op) to either get a splint/fiberglass. Someone who had surgery done by the same doc told me he doesn't like hard casts, hoping that's true.

All in all everything's been good. Expecting lots of answers tomorrow on my personal recovery time, and some better x rays of post op, the one they gave me was really a pretty horrible view, didn't even look like the gap between the bone was closed at time of x ray.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #10
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Everything seems to have gone well. I still have quite a bit of pain from the plate, but I have pretty small bones, so the doctor knew it was going to cause some kind of problems from the beginning. I'm getting the plate removed in about 3-6 months.

Hmm. Maybe the xray didn't make the gap looked closed because the bone isn't healed yet. You will be able to visibly see the break on the xray until the bone is healed again. Mine healed fairly quickly, I believe at the 4 week mark mine was completely healed, but I still had to have a cast for the next two weeks just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Got my little blue cast(no splint =( ). Gap still shows in x rays but that's normal I guess because he said everything looked excellent. He recommended getting some Citracal 500mg and taking 3x a day and should speed up recovery. Going back june 1st for removal hopefully.
    My ulna used to be all up in the "bones in my hand's" business. Looks normal now =p and not super pronounced

The following user gives a hug of support to Alfrs:
    MountainReader (05-05-2016)
    Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #12
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Awesome! Hope that it works out well for you and you recover quickly!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #13
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Thank you both for all of your advice and help. Everything's going great so far, other than this thing bring incredibly itchy. It feels a bit loose around my arm, not so much around my wrist, just the arm.

Do you think this is something I should call them about and have a new one put on?
    If we did put a new one on, would they restart my 'cast calendar' ? Silly question I know, figured I'd ask anyway.

I hope they remove your plate for you soon CG.

Seriously this thing can get so itchy under there (using the cold air method when i can)

Old 05-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #14
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfrs View Post
    Thank you both for all of your advice and help. Everything's going great so far, other than this thing bring incredibly itchy. It feels a bit loose around my arm, not so much around my wrist, just the arm.

Do you think this is something I should call them about and have a new one put on?
    If we did put a new one on, would they restart my 'cast calendar' ? Silly question I know, figured I'd ask anyway.

I hope they remove your plate for you soon CG.

Seriously this thing can get so itchy under there (using the cold air method when i can)
    No problem! Hmm. I had a new cast put on every two weeks, because your muscles DO shrink from not being able to use them, making your arm much smaller, so you do need a new one put on, otherwise the cast isn't as stable and offering you as much support and protection as it needs to be!

My plate won't be removed until around September is the last I've heard- although I was having VERY BAD pains at the end of my plate toward my elbow last night, and have to call the doctor this morning, so we shall see what he says.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Man that's really crummy. I can't believe how often the plate really does bother people, it may be the cast but it doesn't bother a bit currently

Last edited by Alfrs; 05-12-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Nvm can't post pics

Closed Thread