It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik was the most painful experience I've ever endured

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
    Charity Diary
    (male)

Charity Diary HB User
    Thumbs down Lasik was the most painful experience I've ever endured

Let me preface this by saying that I have a high level of pain tolerance. I am a male, and I watched my vas deferens be cut out of me without wincing. I had four wisdom teeth extracted simultaneously and had a peaceful recovery without taking any pain medication at all, even returning to work the very next day. I have had various parts of my body cut open and sewn back together, all of which I was fine with.

However... my Lasik procedure a few days ago was so painful that I would not ever consider going through that procedure again.

(This story will be told from my perspective, so expect some parts to be fairly unspecific, as my eyes were black at the time so I had no idea what was going on.)

A doctor placed two anesthetic drops in each of my eyes, then told me to wait in the pre-op room. I waited about 10 minutes before the physician took me back for the procedure. I got onto the table and he covered one eye. For the other eye, he taped back the eyelid and used a speculum to hold it open.

Here is where the pain started: there was a circular device he would place directly onto my eye to apply pressure. Him pressing it down onto my eye hurt tremendously, and then he would say "Suction on" and my eye would black out with immense pain. He had to do this four or five times, and he would say stuff like, "Something's wrong" and then try again. It was literally torture. Afterward he would tell me that I had small orbits, so my eyes were difficult to work with. Then what felt like (I couldn't see anything) a small circular saw was placed onto my eye and turned on to create the corneal flap. I almost passed out from the pain this caused. It's like I could feel it shredding through the nerves in my eye. I arched my back, clenched my fists, and tried to bear it as best I could. The flap was lifted, and I stared at a green light while the laser did its work. The flap was then replaced. Throughout the entire procedure, he kept asking me, "Are you okay? Are you okay?" I had seen him do the procedure before, and he didn't do that to the other patients...

I started to cry, knowing that I would have to go through that one more time. I experienced the same pain with the other eye. The pressure from the circular device hurt really bad, and the saw cutting open my eye is something I'll have nightmares about for quite a while.

When it was done, I sat up and couldn't see anything. The physician was like, "Woah, let's make you more presentable," and started cleaning blood off of my face. There must have been a lot of blood, because it took a while. He walked me to a recovery room where I waited before going home.

When I got a look at myself in a mirror, I looked terrible. I had cuts around my eyes and my orbits were stained with blood. The whites of my eyes had turned solid red from the blood vessels that had burst. I looked like a monster, and small children were terrified of me (and still are). I saw all the other patients walk out from the procedure, and they all looked perfectly fine

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? I would seriously never consider going through that again, even if they told me it could save me from going blind.

Last edited by Charity Diary; 01-02-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Lasik was the most painful experience I've ever endured

I had cateract surgery twice in the last 6 weeks and they put me under each time for about 30 seconds and stuck me by my eye and numbed it. I couldn't even blink. Seems like they would have done thst. I'd get someone to take pics of your eyes immediately just in case cathy

Old 01-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User

I'm really sorry to hear about your ordeal. You clearly didn't receive proper anesthesia... the cornea has perhaps the highest concentration of sensory nerves of any tissue in the body. Pain receptor density is 20 to 40 times that of teeth. I felt no pain during my surgery... the problems started afterward....

If your vision is good, then at least it was not in vain. I would suggest immediately finding a new surgeon to help you through the post-op period. Contact a malpractice attorney, and at least, try to file complaints with the appropriate medical board, better business bureau, etc. Future patients deserve to be warned about this individual.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
    Charity Diary
    (male)

Charity Diary HB User

What was done wrong? Obviously it didn't work, but I was given two drops in each eye that were supposedly anesthetic.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
    Charity Diary
    (male)

Charity Diary HB User

Update:

I'm beginning to experience Nystagmus. I've never had this happen before. Could the Lasik have caused it?

Also, it's been two weeks and my right eye hasn't healed. It's still red and my vision through it is blurry, it's like I can't focus.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
    djust
    (male)

djust HB User

Just had surgery 5 days ago and it was nothing like yours.
    They must have put over a dozen drops in each eye, but not sure how many were for numbing, and a few more when I was laying on the table before the procedure began.

I felt quite a bit of pressure for about 30 seconds while the flap was being made and after that I felt nothing bad at all.

Now I am on this board trying to get some reassurance that the ghosting and blurriness is going to subside.

I hope the best for you and your eyes and hope they come out the way you want in the end.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
    Sarahanne12
    (female)

Sarahanne12 HB User

Djust... I would love to keep up to date with your recovery process. I myself had an enhancement 6 months ago, which left me with severe double vsision and ghosting. This has improved, but not to the point where I am comfortable with my vision. Lights are worse, like car headlights where I see 3 lights instead of 1. I also struggle with letters and faces. Fingers crossed yours improves. Would love to chat about it Sarah.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
    spiderwebman
    (male)

spiderwebman HB User

That's horrible. Do you know what lasik technology (LASER) they used? It sounds like they created the flap with an old machine that uses a sharp blade to cut the cornea. That's very old tech and nowadays the corneal flap is created with a Laser.

Last edited by spiderwebman; 02-18-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
    Charity Diary
    (male)

Charity Diary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiderwebman View Post
    That's horrible. Do you know what lasik technology (LASER) they used? It sounds like they created the flap with an old machine that uses a sharp blade to cut the cornea. That's very old tech and nowadays the corneal flap is created with a Laser.

I can't tell you with 100% certainty. They said the flap would be created using a laser, but I could physically feel what seemed to be a circular saw being placed against my corneas and turned on...

I remember reading something in their safety pamphlets that warned that if something went wrong, my eyes would be slit completely open and I would go blind. I definitely see how that could happen!

It's been three months now, and my vision is perfect. I don't regret going through the procedure, but I would never do it again.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:47 AM   #10
    Terrapin2190
    (male)

Terrapin2190 HB User

Holy mother of thankfulness! I'm glad you're okay!! Just reading your experience through all that was extremely intense.

I think... I'll stick to my glasses.

I can't even stand trying to put contacts in.

(Sorry if my post isn't helpful. I felt the need to express my concern. No experience w Lasik procedure and I know not all procedures happen that way. I'm also new here...)

Old 03-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
    CaptRogers
    (male)

CaptRogers HB User

I too was worried about the healing/vision process not being at 100% after the first week. I had heard too many success stories of people going back to work the next day, and I truly wondered if I should've even had the surgery done at all.

But after 2 months, everything has increased dramatically. The long distance clarity is back, my focus is a little better, and the starbursts are minimal. Just give it time, and accept that your recovery period may not be like everyone else, especially if you have a previously diagnosed eye condition or eye trauma like myself.

However, there's always a chance of an issue with the machine/equipment/doctor's practices. It's always best to do your research beforehand and, even better, go off someone's recommendation that has had the procedure done themselves by that doctor.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
    Charity Diary
    (male)

Charity Diary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terrapin2190 View Post
    (Sorry if my post isn't helpful. I felt the need to express my concern. No experience w Lasik procedure and I know not all procedures happen that way. I'm also new here...)

Welcome.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
    decomarius
    (male)

decomarius HB User

My vision was -0.75 L eye with -1.25 R eye and both with -0.5 astigmatism.
    I've had lasik surgery ( the one with the mechanical microkeratome device cutting flap) on both eyes on 26.05.2016. They put me like 3-4 times numbing drops and on the left eye it hurt only a little but on the right eye it was like the doctor was broking my orbit bones while trying to do the suction. He tried 2 times and he made it the 2nd but the pain was pretty intense. Nevertheless they said they could made prk on the right eye if i wanted but i told them to try and do lasik cause i will endure the pain. Made it with my own hand but if i had to chose i would chose again the same procedure. After 1.5 hours i left home and returned the 2nd day and the doctor told me my flap was displaced in the left eye ( i was seeing very very bad). He put it back and told me to come back the next day to lift the lense from it. I came to him he lifted the lense and he could get a reading from the device that reads diopters ( small red house in the center far away) and told me that he brought me to 0 diopters in bought eyes. Now after 2 weeks i see very clear with my right eye but with my left i have some moderate blurriness (the one with the flap displacement) . Some days after i sleep in the afternoon i wake up and i see very clear with the left eye and a little unclear with the right eye (it is fluctuating or sth) but only for like 20 minutes. I hope the left becomes like the right eye in terms of vision. Maybe a i have an inflamation cause of the displaced flap and takes longer? Also i dont feel dryness anymore, it seems my eyes are lubricating pretty well.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
    kim2480
    (male)

kim2480 HB User

Wow, that sounds crazy.
    I had the laser cutting of the flap, not mechanical blade. The drops were fine, I didn't feel the cutting of the flap. The problem with me was my eyeball getting into the suction tube, so the eye doesn't move during the cutting and lasering process, which I understand. But it took awhile for the doctor to get my eyeball fully seated and after the procedure, the whites of my eyes had some blood so it looked spooky, but didn't affect my vision.
    This happened to both eyes. Anyway, it took a couple hours after the procedure for my vision to clear up. The blood in the whites of my eyes eventually went away after a week.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #15
    slyronit
    (male)

slyronit HB User

I am no doctor but, I had at least 15 drops of anesthesia (at 5-10 min intervals) in each eye starting at about an hour before the actual surgery. One drop in each eye? I don't envy you.

I was still anxious that the surgery would hurt, but it didn't. The suction part was pretty weird, though. I didn't feel any pain in my eye, but around it for sure, due to the pressure.

The Femtosecond laser for flap creation uses a higher level of suction than the Microkeratome and it can fail (My left eye latched on after the second try and is more bruised than my right which latched on the first time). Looks like in your case they weren't able to get the suction properly and then fell back to using a microkeratome.

Closed Thread