It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nissan Fundoplication 3 weeks post-op. stomach issues

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
    Silkblackkat
    (female)

Silkblackkat HB User
    Unhappy Nissan Fundoplication 3 weeks post-op. stomach issues

About 3 weeks ago I had Laproscopic nissan fundoplication surgery with hiatal hernia repair for non acidic reflux (it was bothering my voice box a lot). I also have I.B.S. Everything went well. I had the barrium swallow test a few days after surgery and it went great. I went home after 3 days from the hospital and had liquids for 3 days. The pain was bad for a bit but that subsided. Then started soft food for a week after that. Now I'm on a regular diet. Since the acidity wasn't an issue in my reflux I could basically eat anything I want, just chew until its liquid mush. The problem is about 5 days ago my stomach has started to act up. It hurts all day, like its inflammed (does not feel like its bloated) and when I eat it gets worse. It bubbles a lot and makes crazy noise. Every day in the evening I'm having terrible stomach cramps where I'm sweating and bascially praying I go to the bathroom. I end up having explosive bowel movements (sorry for the tmi). I take the gas pills and laxative every other day but I'm hardly eating because my stomach just hurts all day and Im scared the cramps with start. I called my surgeon but hes on vacation till next week. The nurse thinks its constipation, which it is not. My usual going is like once a week (before surgery) but I dont have pain and feel like I'm dieing like this. I'm basically hoping this is normal for recovery. My surgeon told me it takes 4-6 weeks to recover. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this? Has it gone away? Any pointers on how to get it to stop. I'm basically eating toast, soup and water. It hurts and I'm miserable. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Silkblackkat:
    movielover40 (07-22-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Nissan Fundoplication 3 weeks post-op. stomach issues

When I had my NF, I was on a liquid diet only for 2 weeks (not even allowed strawberry seeds in a smoothie), then soft food for a week or two. I didn't add solid meat and bread back until about 3 months out. They don't break down well when chewed and can get 'stuck' above the wrap which is uncomfortable until it works its way down. While you will feel much better at 4-6 weeks, my GI doc told me it usually takes about 8 weeks for the full swelling to subside in the stomach.

It is good to be 'kind' to your stomach for a while longer to allow it to focus on healing. In addition to watching what you eat for a while, you should be eating smaller portions at a time while the stomach heals. You will get back to 'normal', but it does take some time.

The toast could be what is causing some problems for you. It really doesn't break down as well as some other foods. I have IBS too. Many raw fruits and veggies can be tough on the gut. I found I did better with them when I cooked them first. I totally avoided anything like salad for a long time. I also do mostly dairy free because of the IBS too.

Are you still taking pain meds? They can really mess with constipation. I had to call my GI doc after surgery because it took me a bit to get the IBS back in order. I know it can be uncomfortable.

I stayed on my reflux meds after surgery. It does take time for the esophagus and throat to heal up after having gone through so much trauma for so long prior to surgery. Also, I highly recommend staying away from anything with carbonation. With the nature of the surgery, it makes it more difficult for the 'gas' from the carbonation to come back up. It gets trapped in the stomach and has to work its way down through the system and can be uncomfortable. It has been 8 years now for me and I still avoid the carbonation for the most part because it can be uncomfortable.

I find it interesting how different surgeons are in their post-surgery routines. My laproscopic NF was considered outpatient with a total hospital stay of 23 hours.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
    Silkblackkat
    (female)

Silkblackkat HB User

Hi Mountainreader, Thank you for answering my post. I've been trying to eat a lot of soups lately bc of the pain. The gi nurse told me to eat the toast bc it's easier to digest than bread. But I've stopped eating it as much. The pain continues no matter what I eat or drink sadly. I was taking pain meds before the surgery and had no problems with constipation. I take the pain meds every other day now. Trying to spare them. I don't think I'm having problems with constipation. I mean I'm going everyday to every other. But the pain is still there when there's nothing in me. Making me really depressed. I totally wish I could have some pop.
    Lol but haven't in a long time. It is funny how some docs are lenient with food or not with this surgery.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
    jw994
    (female)

jw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB User

I have had 3 Nissens and with the last one, it took my body 1 1/2 years to get back to normal. While this seems like a simple surgery, a portion of your stomach has now been wrapped around the esophagus at the LES. With every surgery my digestion became very sluggish and I became constipated. I use Miralax which my surgeon recommended. I also took carafe suspension (prescription) up to 4 times per day to help with healing. I have found that I have become lactose intolerant and I must take dairy enzymes. I could not eat products with tomatoes or tomato based soups for months and I still avoid citrus because of stomach aches. I can now eat salads, but I avoided them for at least 3-4 months after surgery. I always avoid anything that could cause bloating or gas like raw onions. I take Beano before eating any food that might cause gas because it can be terribly uncomfortable since I cannot burp. The main thing is to be very kind to your stomach. I ate oatmeal, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and chicken. Meat and bread were especially difficult because they got stuck. I never eat a meal without something to drink and I never drink very cold drinks because of esophageal spasms. I never drink carbonated drinks and alcohol irritates my stomach. Having said all of that I do not regret getting a Nissen. My acid reflux was terrible. I do not have to take any medications for reflux even though I carry Rolaids with me and I keep some Gaviscon Advance which I have used a few times a year. Lastly, do you have a prescription for anti-nausea medication? I must keep that with me at all times because I cannot throw-up. Your stomach should feel better soon......just take it slow and stick with soft, easy to digest foods.

Last edited by jw994; 07-27-2016 at 05:40 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    gastro intestinal, irritable bowel syndrome, reflux, surgery recovery