It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Normal(?) levels, symptomatic

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
    schmutz
    (male)

schmutz HB User
    Normal(?) levels, symptomatic

Hi everyone - first post, here.

The last several weeks I've been fatigued (needing a couple naps a day sometimes, and still tired), off balance, feel like my legs are going to give out from under me, chest burning/shortness of breath with the lightest of activity (climbing stairs, washing the car, etc.), occasional numbness in hands.

The first doctor I went to suggested I try to ignore it (which I had already been trying to do). The second ran some more comprehensive bloodwork. Everything came back in normal ranges (except my Vitamin D, which was a smidge low). My ferritin count was 30. B12 was 470. Thyroid panel was normal. I started taking 5,000 mcg/day methyl B12 a week ago as it seems like I should bring that number up.

I eat a vegan diet and so supplemented both of those with a multivitamin as I know they can be problematic if I don't, but have never had the numbers tested before now. I'm guessing the multivitamin isn't helping all that much...

So...despite being "normal" I'm not feeling like my normal, happy go lucky, active self at all. I suspect the ferritin number indicates low iron despite being in range. Could I be on the right track?

My plan is to start supplement iron more thoroughly than I am right now. I ordered some ferrous bis-glycinate and should receive it today. What dosage can I take?

What information did I forget to share, too? Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Normal(?) levels, symptomatic

Welcome to the boards! The piece of information that seems missing is your CBC, which would show if you are anemic. There are several reports on the CBC that can indicate if anemia is caused by iron deficiency or something else. Iron deficiency is common with a vegan diet, and ferritin only shows your stored iron in liver. If you have a CBC report, feel free to post it, with the normal reference ranges. That would be most helpful.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
    schmutz
    (male)

schmutz HB User

CBC W/DIFF

White Blood Cells: 6.9 THOU/UL (3.8-10.8)
    Red Blood Cell Count: 5.24 MIL/U (4.2-5.8)
    Hemoglobin: 16.1 G/DL (13.2-17.1)
    Hematocrit: 46.7% (38.5-50)
    MCV: 89.1 FL (80-100)
    MCH: 30.7 PG (27-33)
    MCHC: 34.5 G/DL (32-36)
    RDW: 12.6% (11-15)
    MPV: 8.7 FL (7.5-11.5)
    Platelet Count: 184 THOUS/UL (140-400)
    Neutrophils: 74.6%
    Lymphocytes: 17.8%
    Monocytes: 5.9%
    Eosinophils: 1.3%
    Basophils: .4%
    Absolute Neutrophils: 5147 CELLS/UL (1500-7800)
    Absolute Lymphocytes: 1228 CELLS/UL (850-3900)
    Absolute Monocytes: 407 CELLS/UL (200-950)
    Absolute Eosinophils: 90 CELLS/UL (15-500)
    Absolute Basophils: 28 CELLS/UL (0-200)

Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Well, this report shows perfectly normal everything, and you are clearly not anemic, and there is no sign of iron deficiency. When fatigue is chronic, it is helpful to try to think of anything pertinent that occurred before the fatigue started, like travel to foreign country, exposure to any sick people, etc. Also think about what problems run in your family. The list of possible causes for these symptoms is long, and it helps to get some direction. In general, certain viruses, like mono, hepatitis should be considered, autoimmune disorders with inflammation, allergies including asthma, and even heart conditions. I would observe carefully what triggers your symptoms, what relieves them, if anything, and talk to your Dr again if this persists. Perhaps you will think of something that might provide a clue to what path to pursue.

Reply Reply