It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Terrible, recurring back pain - advice needed

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
    Rob6184
    (male)

Rob6184 HB User
    Terrible, recurring back pain - advice needed

Since around the age of 22 (10 years ago) I've had recurring low back problems. Specifically, I'll have a dull pain in my low left back that hurts more acutely when I try to stand up after sitting for some time. In the few painful minutes it takes to stand up straight, I'm usually hunched over and my torso jutted to the right. Even sitting can hurt when I have to do it for long periods, especially on long drives, and I have to get out of the car periodically to limp around awkwardly for the pain to subside. I'm normally not like this - I'm healthy and active and about 11 out of every 12 months I'm fine. But there's that period, roughly 4 weeks in a year, that I'm laid up and miserable. But this time, I'm on my 5th week and there's been no improvement so I'm getting concerned.

Is this sacroiliitis? A herniated disc? I've been to several doctors who told me my condition was caused by tight hamstrings and/or hip flexors. A PT recently told me it was likely sacroiliitis, which I'd never heard of but the symptoms seem to match. Is this something that is easily treated?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
    AlexC585
    (male)

AlexC585 HB User
    Re: Terrible, recurring back pain - advice needed

I had similar problems from working at a desk all day and attending meditation retreats where I was sitting for hours. At work I found I was sitting crooked, and leaning to one side, and this lean was following me throughout my day and giving me a ‘crooked’ feeling. I attended a Gokhale Method course in my area and found that my poor posture was not only causing this to happen, but it was affecting my breathing, mood, and just about everything else. Their techniques work, and I highly recommend Esther Gokhale’s approach to natural posture. I feel…symmetrical again.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Terrible, recurring back pain - advice needed

I have tight hip flexor muscles and also lower back pain. There are some yoga poses that you might find helpful, and I also find that ice does more for my pain than heat does, so you may want to try that. Is it possible for you to go for physical therapy?

Reply Reply