It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Losing nearsighted vision with lasik. Is it worth it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
    Kroby
    (female)

Kroby HB User
    Losing nearsighted vision with lasik. Is it worth it?

Wasgoing to get LASIK, but the doctor said I would loose my nearsightedness and need readers. He said I normally would probably not need readers even as I aged (currently 47). So essentially I will be trading nearsighted vision for farsighted vision Has anyone done this and did you feel it was worth it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
    slyronit
    (male)

slyronit HB User
    Re: Losing nearsighted vision with lasik. Is it worth it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kroby View Post
    Wasgoing to get LASIK, but the doctor said I would loose my nearsightedness and need readers. He said I normally would probably not need readers even as I aged (currently 47). So essentially I will be trading nearsighted vision for farsighted vision Has anyone done this and did you feel it was worth it?
    I am 31 and a week post-op for Myopia. I was overcorrected and am now farsighted (I was nearsighted before). Hopefully this is temporary and I will be Plano in a few weeks, but having experienced both nearsightedness and farsightedness, I can say that

1. Nearsightedness is much-much better. If you are nearsighted and don't wear corrections, you see hazy at a distance, but that's it.
    2. If you are farsighted and don't wear corrections, you cannot read and on top of that, you get debilitating headaches, problems focusing and eye strain and fatigue.

This is because the human eyes take more effort to focus close than to focus far (Read about accommodation).

I did LASIK because I couldn't wear lenses anymore and I am still 10 years away from presbyopia. If I was already presbyopic (Like you are), I would never have done it.

Closed Thread