It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Hyperopia after LASIK

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
    Riya87
    (female)

Riya87 HB User
    Hyperopia after LASIK

I had LASIK (interalase) surgery 10 months before.

Right eye: -1.75
    Left eye: -1.5

Following surgery I had blurry right eye vision and extreme dry eyes. I was advised eye drops for over a period of 6 months. My vision slowly improved, however recently, a week before I experienced severe headache and eye pain. Following a doctor visit, I was informed hyperopia in both eyes;

Left eye: +0.75
    Right eye: +0.5

I was advised glasses for the same especially with computers.

It this a common problem for people after LASIK? Are specs necessary? Kindly advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
    goodcandidate
    (male)

goodcandidate HB User
    Re: Hyperopia after LASIK

My eyes were -1.25 in both eyes with some astigmatism. after lasik I felt my vision was always blurry after the surgery even though I could ready the 20\15 line. I went to get my yearly exam and decided to get glasses. they didn't help at all. so I went back to get a second opinion and told my doctor that I saw ghosting. he tried all sorts of things and I was able to get glasses that made me see much clearer. So to answer your question. yes some of us use glasses after lasik.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
    Riya87
    (female)

Riya87 HB User

Then I don't understand the point LASIK itself. Is it just switching from type of glasses to another? Few of my friends are perfectly alright following the surgery. Does this mean there is a chance something can go wrong during surgery? Or just bad luck!

Old 11-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
    goodcandidate
    (male)

goodcandidate HB User

My problem is that I have large pupils, I didn't research lasik long enough to see if I was a good candidate. I just took my doctors word for it. I asked some friends and family who had lasik if they had good results so I just went for it.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
    whiskeythekid
    (female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
    These prescriptions are too low for lasik to me. Lasik is not an exact science, although it should be 100% exact, with prescriptions that low its easy to become farsighted

-1.5 for example only should get -1 of correction, if the doc tries to be perfect then farsight is a risk not worth taking. You do not want to get that close to perfect and run the risk. I do not understand getting lasik for this tiny prescription - you can see in most circumstances without correction and lasik has all sorts of risks that unfortunately the doctors gloss over and hide but there are risks.

My sight was -5.50 to give you a contrast. That means that anything after 1 to 3 feet away is a blur meaning you can not see in most scenarios. I could fall into a hole without corrective vision.

That said if you did get farsight as a result, it can clear up in the first 6-12 months post lasik as some of that vision is because of swelling.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
    angsty
    (male)

angsty HB User

As whiskeythekid says, it's not exact - there is a margin of error. It's not possible to make a perfect prediction as to how one particular individual's eyes will react. Some doctors are better at it than others.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
    slyronit
    (male)

slyronit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riya87 View Post
    I had LASIK (interalase) surgery 10 months before.

Right eye: -1.75
    Left eye: -1.5

Following surgery I had blurry right eye vision and extreme dry eyes. I was advised eye drops for over a period of 6 months. My vision slowly improved, however recently, a week before I experienced severe headache and eye pain. Following a doctor visit, I was informed hyperopia in both eyes;

Left eye: +0.75
    Right eye: +0.5

I was advised glasses for the same especially with computers.

It this a common problem for people after LASIK? Are specs necessary? Kindly advise?
    That level of overcorrection is weird for such a low level of Myopia. I was -2.00 and -2.5 and was overcorrected to +0.25 and +0.75, but I am only a week post-op so hoping this would go away.

Closed Thread