It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• complex cyst very worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
    andia
    (female)

andia HB User
    complex cyst very worried

Hi,

I am 46 and am in the past 6 months noticed my periods have been irregular, skipping periods, heavier and lasting 10-14 days long. I went in for a pelvic U/S and they saw 3.5cm "slightly" complex cyst. I was told to repeat after 3 more periods and am in the waiting game now. My family Dr didn't seem concerned and said my irregular periods were due to perimenopause.
    Has anyone had a complex cyst go away? What is a "slightly" complex cyst mean? I am so worried. Anyone had a complex cyst? I have no family history of cancer, but I am still extremely concerned as I had done many rounds of fertility treatments and scared all those drugs could cause cancer. Thanks for any advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: complex cyst very worried

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. For a cyst that size, it's typical to "watch and wait" since most ovarian cysts resolve on their own in 3 cycles or so. U/S is not exact so they can't always tell the type of cyst. For complex cysts, there are certain traits they look for to determine the chances of them being malignant. However, the majority of complex cysts are benign / non-cancerous.

Since they're calling yours "slightly" complex that would seem to imply that it does not have any or many concerning traits. Your irregular periods could be a symptom of perimenopause or the cyst. I often wonder if the hormonal changes during perimenopause can cause cysts to develop. I was 49 when mine was found but my periods were still regular.

I do know of women who've had complex cysts go away. I had one but it was over 9cm and I was told I needed surgery quickly. I wish I hadn't been rushed into surgery. My cyst did end up being benign. I had also taken fertility drugs.

Keep us posted. I hope it goes away!

Old 02-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
    andia
    (female)

andia HB User

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it. Sounds like you had a large cyst, so you must understand the anxiety over it.
    I also wonder if the hormonal changes could cause the cyst. The only reason I went in to get checked was because of the heavy bleeding that lasted 2 weeks and that is when it was found, it could've been there for years for all I know. I haven't had an U/S in 6 years now, after my last child. I do feel some dull pain now and then on that side (left) for a long time, but nothing that was too noticeable..
    I will update after my next u/s and hopefully I will be one of the lucky one's and it will resolve on it's own. I am not hopeful as I still feel slight pain in that area now and then. If it grows anymore than 5cm I guess they will want to take it out. I am ok with that, as I rather get rid of it than worry about cancer.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I've read that about 7cm is the cut-off as far as surgery. I understand the fear of cancer but thankfully ovarian cancer is rare in women without a genetic predisposition. And our ovaries are so important our whole lives for good health. I've read that they produce significant levels of testosterone in our 70's and 80's. Some of that is converted into estrogen as needed. If you do need surgery, hopefully your surgeon will be able to remove just the cyst (cystectomy) if it's benign so that you can keep your ovary. Sometimes removal of one ovary can permanently impair hormone production causing all kinds of health problems. I've read a lot of studies about the many increased health risks and earlier death associated with removal of both ovaries.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
    andia
    (female)

andia HB User

Hopefully I won't need to have surgery, but if I do, I will be sure to do my homework on the risks of removing my ovary. I think they are better these days about taking out our reproductive organs unless there is good cause. I my right tube removed due to an ectopic, but my left one is still there (same side as the cyst) but it is fluid filled (hydrosalpinx) and there is scarring around it so it wasn't removed when they did the laprascopic surgery to remove the ectopic. The OBGYN who did the surgery said there was so much scarring he was afraid to damage my bowels etc.. I do think if I have to have surgery I will find a good surgeon who can remove the tube and scarring as I do have some pain that side. I actually have been having more than usual pain on the left side last 24 hours or so, and I wonder what is going on with the cyst. My next period is due soon, so after it's done I will be having my U/S to see if the cyst has grown. If it were resolving, would there be more pain I wonder? Or, would more pain mean it's growing? So much worry! I have anxiety issues and find this waiting process very hard..

Closed Thread