It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia and SOOO tired

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #61
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User
    Re: Anemia and SOOO tired

It was 12 something, can't remember the exact number. It'll continue to rise over the next few weeks, as will my ferritin (according to the hematologist). The ferritin will then decline to a more consistent number. Prior to the infusions, my hemoglobin was bouncing around 10-11 ish. After my c section, my hemoglobin was 8 something. So, while I had an improvement prior to the infusions, I wasn't going to get it to normal by myself, especially since I was working with very little ferritin.

Last edited by RunrRdr; 03-24-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #62
    MySunnyDaisy
    (female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

Tired,

Don't get nervous, colon cancer i would think would have some symptoms like maybe weight loss and other symptoms, its probably hemmroids. Since taking iron, i also been suffering with those things. And internal ones you dont even know you have, but its so common. I never had a colonoscopy, but I think the worst part of it is drinking the stuff to clean you out and you will go to the bathroom all night, i have coworkers who have had them and they say that's the worst part of it, the drink they give you the night before.

Run,

What kind of iron did you get infused with? Did it hurt going in your vein or feel weird, how long did it take? Your ferritin is really high now, from only 2 infusions, wow! Do you know how many mg you got? How long did the infusions take? What was it like after, did you have any nausea or aches or anything? How long did you have side effects after?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #63
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

They gave me Feraheme and it was no different than getting an IV, except it was brown. It took about 15 mins, and then a 30 min observation period. I didn't feel anything weird, other than a metallic taste in my mouth briefly. Honestly though, I was already dizzy and short of breath from the iron deficiency. I probably wouldn't have been able to tell if dizziness resulted from the IV.
    I was given two doses of 510 mg, so 1020 mg total over two weeks. The day or two following the infusions, I felt achy, like a deep ache you can't reach, but that disappeared after a couple days. I had no nausea or anything and within a few days I noticed less and less of the ears whooshing and the shortness of breath. I'm so grateful that they offered me this. I don't even have words for how grateful I am.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #64
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

Sunny Daisy,

I read back through all the posts. Why are you set against infusions? Yes, I also read about side effects prior to getting my infusions but I had none of them. I think they are very rare. I also kinda had no choice, as I felt like possible side effects from an infusion were better than what I was going through.

Your ferritin is terribly low. I realize all our bodies are different and what might be low for me (27), might not be so terrible for someone else, but when I think of your low ferritin number, I can't imagine how you're coping. You really aren't going to raise your ferritin with iron supplements, esp if you're still having the heavy cycles. Have you seen a hematologist?

Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #65
    MySunnyDaisy
    (female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

I don't have anything against IV iron, I guess its because of the possible awful side effects it makes you scared to try it. Do you take iron supplements now or you don't have to because the infusion worked? To be honest, I hate the supplement, and the GI issues stink so maybe I will ask my Doctor about the infusion. I am a small, i weight 112 lbs so they probably won't have to give me that much? I wonder if it goes by weight or something as they give you the dosage. Why do some people spend hours getting infused and it only takes others 15 minutes?

Old 03-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #66
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

There are different kinds of IV iron, some take longer than others. I do not need an iron supplement anymore. Also, I'm also about 110, but I believe the standard dosage for Feraheme is two rounds of 510 mg. I think a body needs to be over 70 lbs and the standard dosage applies. Some people's levels will end up higher than others-- all depends on what's going on in the particular body. I understand the scary things online about the IV. I did not experience them, although I was nervous that I would. Again, I think the drastic side effects are very very rare.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #67
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

Also, I was really nervous for the first IV, but excited for the second. It was so helpful and I felt like my life depended on it. Even in that first week, there were slight improvements, like less head/ears whooshing and more instances of getting a deep breath. I am not trying to persuade you, as we all need to do what is best for our own selves, but I just want you to know it can be very successful with really no bad side effects, and it works so much faster than oral iron.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #68
    MySunnyDaisy
    (female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User
    Smile Re: Anemia and SOOO tired

Run,

Oh wow we are both petite! I always feel like things will effect me because I am so small. A bad habit of mine is I read the stuff online about the bad side effects, I have to stop doing that. I totally understand wanting the anemia symptoms to go away as fast as they possibly could, especially with a new baby to take care of, that takes major energy. I will ask my Doctor next time I go and see what he says. Taking the oral iron really is getting to me, I have had IV's before, the worst part of it just being very boring, I should be able to handle it. It would beautiful to cure the iron deficientcy in just a couple weeks, rather than the ongoing oral route. Thanks for the information!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #69
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

Sunny Daisy,

No problem. I hope some of this info was helpful. If you do decide to have the infusions, and you have any additional concerns or questions that I might be able to help answer, feel free to ask. I know I'm speaking from my experience, which isn't everyone's experience, but mine was positive and I know many are. I personally had no stomach issues with the iron pills and I'm in pretty good health, so I was absorbing them-- however they just can't work fast enough or keep up. It takes a couple months with pills to start to help hemoglobin and it takes over a year to start helping raise ferritin. That's what I was told. If you're like me and you have monthly cycles, then you lose progress every month and it would take longer. I just couldn't become that wife and mom- the one who never has energy and feels ill all the time. Pre-pregnancy, I was running about 40 miles/wk and in excellent shape. Never in my life did I have an iron deficiency issue, until pregnancy/delivery/postpartum.
    Anyway, I hope you get the info you need and that you start feeling better soon.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #70
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

Sunny, Thank you and I will try not to worry. I just need to know what's wrong so I can deal with it. But there is a big difference between a hemorrhoid and colon cancer but they can have the same symptoms. I really don't want to get a colonoscopy but I guess i have no choice. I just want to feel better

Run, I am so glad the infusions worked for you, It's so crazy how much your ferritin was raised and glad you are feeling better - I have an appointment in May with the hemotologist and i will ask her about my ferritin as well- It was at a 15 last check. I will also ask about infusions once I get my other issue resolved. How often do you have to get your bloodwork done once all your levels are normal or will be you done at that point?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #71
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

Tired,

Thank you. I hope you start feeling better soon. Yes, I think it would be a good idea to talk with your hematologist about all this. I go back in 3 months, so June, for a follow up. Hopefully my numbers will still be strong, and hopefully yours will soon be strong, too!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #72
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

Hi Guys, I made an appointment with a GI. It's in 3 weeks then i have my appointment with the hemotologist in May. I think i told you that i had a positive stool test in the office the other day with my primary care doctor so of course i am freaked out. I am hoping it is only from hemorrhoids and nothing else. I don't have nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain.like my doctor asked. Nor any weight loss. I am hoping he will suggest a colonoscopy and everything will be clear. Never thought i would want a colonoscopy (LOL) but now i want to rule out colon cancer since i don't know what's causing the anemia. I can tell you though that i am so darn tired all the time. Very low energy and occasionally lightheaded etc. I never knew anemia could absolutely wear you out!!!! Thankfully i work a desk job because i know i couldn't do much else. I want to get this resolved so i can get infusions or whatever it is i need to get back to normal. But now all i can think of is the worst scenarios

Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #73
    rico5000
    (female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User

I'm sure you're thinking of all the bad things that could be wrong. But from what you say, it's likely hemorrhoids. That's very common. I have them pretty badly and have for years and they do bleed at times. It could also be polyps. So try not to dwell on all the bad things it can be and just get through it. Even if it were cancer (and it probably is not) that can be cured if caught early and in your case, it is likely early if it was that. But again, it sounds like it's something simple.

PVCs/MVP/Palps
    Sinusitis
    Panic/Anxiety
    -- Toprol XL 50mg 2x daily
    -- Valium 5mg 2x daily

Old 04-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #74
    MySunnyDaisy
    (female)

MySunnyDaisy HB User

It's been a while since anyone has posted, how is everyone doing?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #75
    tiredofissues
    (female)

tiredofissues HB User

I am still super worried and tired. My doctor appt is not until next Friday. How are you feeling??

Reply Reply