It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Questions About TMJ

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User
    Question Questions About TMJ

Can TMJ cause sinus pressure, I get pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes which will occasionally pop like your ears do when youíre flying or thereís a change in the air pressure?

Also, I regularly wake up with puffy eyes and slightly blurred vision. Both usually get better by lunch time but it has me feeling quite groggy in the morning no matter how much sleep I've had that night.

I also get random twitches around my eyes which can be annoying. I know I have TMJ (itís been diagnosed by both the doctor and dentist) But I wasn't aware of these side effects and I am worrying that it might be something else. Does anyone else with TMJ have these same symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
    Ahmad56
    (male)

Ahmad56 HB User
    Re: Questions About TMJ

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geo18 View Post
    Can TMJ cause sinus pressure, I get pressure in my forehead and behind my eyes which will occasionally pop like your ears do when youíre flying or thereís a change in the air pressure?

Also, I regularly wake up with puffy eyes and slightly blurred vision. Both usually get better by lunch time but it has me feeling quite groggy in the morning no matter how much sleep I've had that night.

I also get random twitches around my eyes which can be annoying. I know I have TMJ (itís been diagnosed by both the doctor and dentist) But I wasn't aware of these side effects and I am worrying that it might be something else. Does anyone else with TMJ have these same symptoms?
    hi..
    i don't know about the sinus pressure but, for me, i have breathing difficulty or shortness of breath along with the eyes twitching. the side effects are various and unexpectable to be related to TMJ. everyday im dealing with different 4 to 5 symptoms at the same time. i hope you got well soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmad56 For This Useful Post:
    Geo18 (03-21-2018)
    Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User

Thanks for your response, I also have breathing difficulties when Iím talking at times. Iím waiting on a mouth piece from the dentist to wear whilst I sleep so hopefully that will improve things a bit. The doctor also suggested an anti-depressant to help with the muscle tension but Iím not sure I want to take medication so I havenít agreed to that yet.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
    Ahmad56
    (male)

Ahmad56 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks for your response, I also have breathing difficulties when Iím talking at times. Iím waiting on a mouth piece from the dentist to wear whilst I sleep so hopefully that will improve things a bit. The doctor also suggested an anti-depressant to help with the muscle tension but Iím not sure I want to take medication so I havenít agreed to that yet.

Well.. For the anti-depressant same thing for me they want you to swallow their pills to mask the pain since they don't have a reasonable diagnosis for it how naive that you jump to a conclusion and go to the treatment phase where you don't know even the underlying issue which triggers all this TMJ nightmare in the first place, for me I'm done with doctors and i might do the DTR Therapy ASAP. it starts to go down my arms though. i genuinely wish you get better Geo.. much love

The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmad56 For This Useful Post:
    Geo18 (03-24-2018)
    Old 03-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User

Thanks for your response, Iím currently looking into chiropractic adjustments to see if anyone has had any success with them (as well as deep tissue massages) I have a mouth piece coming for the night time so hopefully that will help but Iím not going to take medication as itís more uncomfortable than painful for me. Hope you get better too and if you find anything that helps let me know.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
    ilec
    (female)

ilec HB User

Quote:
    Thanks for your response, Iím currently looking into chiropractic adjustments to see if anyone has had any success with them (as well as deep tissue massages) I have a mouth piece coming for the night time so hopefully that will help but Iím not going to take medication as itís more uncomfortable than painful for me. Hope you get better too and if you find anything that helps let me know.

Hi, what did the dentist say the mouth piece was for? Is it called a mouthguard? How does that help you?

Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilec View Post
    Hi, what did the dentist say the mouth piece was for? Is it called a mouthguard? How does that help you?
    It stops me from grinding or clenching during my sleep so hopefully I wonít wake up in pain! So far it seems to be working alright, itís like a sports mouth guard but a lot thinner and less intrusive.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
    caliguy24
    (male)

caliguy24 HB User

Hey man, I also suffer from TMJ disorder. It is definitely not much fun, so I can feel your pain. I believe it can affect the sinuses as it can affect a lot of other things. My TMJ was so bad in high school that I remember it would completely lock up while i was eating. I also got a night guard made and that has helped significantly.

I get really bad clicking and popping in the joint and it is extremely distracting, especially when giving presentations and whatnot. I think it is affecting my sinuses as well, as pressure builds up in my left ear/jaw and when I breathe in I can feel it affect the pressure. It's like when I'm in an airplane and the pressure builds and then I stretch out my jaw and the pressure subsides temporarily. This makes talking to people really difficult sometimes as I have bad pressure on top of the clicking and crackling in my ear. Like people will ask me why I'm being so quiet and it's because of my TMJ.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
    ilec
    (female)

ilec HB User

Quote:
    It stops me from grinding or clenching during my sleep so hopefully I wonít wake up in pain! So far it seems to be working alright, itís like a sports mouth guard but a lot thinner and less intrusive.
    Is your mouthguard soft or hard material? Did your clenching misalign your jaw or mess up your bite at all?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilec View Post
    Is your mouthguard soft or hard material? Did your clenching misalign your jaw or mess up your bite at all?
    Itís soft but I had the choice and couldíve got a hard one but since Iím not grinding there was no point. My bite isnít even and I have a very strong bite probably due to years of clenching.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #11
    Geo18
    (male)

Geo18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliguy24 View Post
    Hey man, I also suffer from TMJ disorder. It is definitely not much fun, so I can feel your pain. I believe it can affect the sinuses as it can affect a lot of other things. My TMJ was so bad in high school that I remember it would completely lock up while i was eating. I also got a night guard made and that has helped significantly.

I get really bad clicking and popping in the joint and it is extremely distracting, especially when giving presentations and whatnot. I think it is affecting my sinuses as well, as pressure builds up in my left ear/jaw and when I breathe in I can feel it affect the pressure. It's like when I'm in an airplane and the pressure builds and then I stretch out my jaw and the pressure subsides temporarily. This makes talking to people really difficult sometimes as I have bad pressure on top of the clicking and crackling in my ear. Like people will ask me why I'm being so quiet and it's because of my TMJ.
    Hi, thanks for your response! My jaw occasionally locks up and has even popped out of place on occasion whilst Iíve been eating. Our symptoms sound very similar and I hope things improve for us both. I think the mouth guard is helping a bit (Iím not waking up with headaches)

Reply Reply