It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Lots of Symptoms & Very Concerned - Help!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
    gav_73
    Veteran
    (female)

gav_73 HB User
    Lots of Symptoms & Very Concerned - Help!

Hello!

I just turned 45 years old and have a long history of iron deficiency anemia related to blood loss due to heavy and frequent periods. Approximately 3 months ago, however, I noticed a LARGE "glob" of coagulated blood in my stool, I would say burdundy in color. I've always had issues with constipation and GERD (w/ Barrett's Esophagus). I have to drink a detoxifying herbal tea to help me go to the bathroom 2 or 3x a month. This particular time I had a large volume of stool because I was backed up. The tea doesn't cause diarrhea exactly, but it doesn't soften it to a "mush-like" undefined consistency. When I finished and went to flush the toilet, I noticed a very large pool of blood on TOP of the stool, NOT before, which I would suspect if the issue was related to hemorroids since they are closer to the rectum. The fact that the blood came AFTER I had completely "evacuated," I became concerned. But I was so busy at work I chalked it up to hemorroids and didn't go to the doctor.

My hemoglobin up to this point, while very low, was stable at around an 8.5 or 9. Since I couldn't afford iron infusions anymore because of changes in insurance coverage, I had basically just kept an eye on it by getting regular CBCs. In late March it was hovering around an 8.3, then suddenly plummeted to a 7 in 3 weeks with no period in between! I was so symptomatic - couldn't breathe and sleeping 12-16 hours a day and still nodding off - I went to the ER and they gave me a 2-unit transfusion. I immediately felt better. But I was very concerned where the blood loss was coming from if not my periods.

Because I have Barrett's, I see a gastroenterologist and have for years for endoscopies. When I first became anemic, I got a colonoscopy and he found (and removed) 3 benign polyps. I was only 36. I got annual endoscopies/colonoscopies for 3 years - all clean - and was scheduled for them every 3 years after that. But I never went back due to insurance. So it's been about 5 years since my last one. I went to see him and he seemed very concerned, especially since I have a history of polyps and a family history of colon cancer on both sides of my family, both genders. I also had a high hs-CRP result at 9.41 mg/L.

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on June 21st, the first available, but I am scared. Can anyone share your thoughts or experiences prior to diagnosis and opinion of what is going on? I am not so panicked as I am just wanting to be prepared for bad news if I receive any. I handle things much better that way, no matter what it is, as long as I'm not blindsided. Should I be concerned?

Last edited by Administrator; 06-09-2018 at 11:57 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gav_73:
    quincy (06-08-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Lots of Symptoms & Very Concerned - Help!

In short....yes you should always be concerned since you have family history of colon cancer and a history of polyps at an early age. You're being monitored, which is a good thing.

Regarding the polyps you had....while benign, what kind were they? If you don't have copies of all your results, I suggest you get them for your records and research.

I also suggest you ask your doctor to take biopsies throughout and or ask about Chromoendoscopy. It's an application of a stain and viewed with special light to see changes in cells of the lining that could indicate cancer.

I don't know if dna checking can be done regarding tendencies of specific colon cancers. But worth looking into.
    Do you know what kind of colon cancers on both sides?

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Lots of Symptoms & Very Concerned - Help!

Hi. I also live with the colon cancer scare looming over me...everyone in my family has died from Colon cancer. I get screened (colonoscopy) every two years and have since I was 22. I am 50 now.

Should you be concerned? Yes...should you be scared? No.

Colon cancer is the slowest growing of all cancers. As long as you are going for a colonoscopy in the near future, whatever they find, will be taken out of you. Colonoscopies SAVE lives...as long as the cancer (if it is present) is removed- its a done deal. Gone. Saved. It is only if you put these off for too long that you could be in trouble. 5 years is long, but not too long. For people who do not have a history of colon cancer, the screening time is every 8 years...so you are still in the window.

I think you'll be fine. As it stands, you are doing the right thing by getting screened...try not to worry and let us know how you are!

Hugs...

Reply Reply