It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Relationship Health Message Board

• Over prescribed Adderall lost my boyfriend

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
    leo h
    (male)

leo h HB User
    Exclamation Over prescribed Adderall lost my boyfriend

Hello everyone, I really hope someone will write back to this.

I was diagnosed with ADHD about two years ago and was prescribed 30mg immediate release adderall to be taken twice a day as needed. that is an RX for 60mg a day. I was not aware of the side effects. I began to get more and more irritable, more and more prone to outburst, I have never had anger issues. I was under a lot of stress and thought all of these feelings of frustration, anger anxiety, were because of the stress of my work life. I could not sleep thought the night, I was moody, woke up in a bad mood. This obviously took a really bad toll on my partner, who was the best thing that had ever happened to me. He broke up with me very recently. It was then that I called the doctor to try and get into an anger management class - when the doctor noticed that my RX was so high he told me that he thought all of the anger issues i have been seeing were likely side effects of the dosage. I was floored, he changed the dosage to 15mg time released and it has all changed, but the sad part is that it has changed one moment too late, ive lost my partner and Im heartbroken. It is really hard to explain how different I feel - he wont believe me and it seems like there is nothing I can do to show him. He moved out, says he has been too hurt by my behavior to continue, I am in disbelief that I feel this different and cant seem to save our 4 year relationship. does this sound familiar to anyone> please let me know - im so sad

The following user gives a hug of support to leo h:
    yayagirl (06-18-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Over prescribed Adderall lost my boyfriend

Dear leo,

What a pity! I'm sorry that happened to you! It wasn't even your fault how it went.

On the other hand, anyone that can't live and let live is not an appropriate partner for you. That was hard on him and hard on you. That he gave up is nothing about you. Understand that it was too much for him. Go on with your life. If he was meant for you, things will work out sometime down the road. If he doesn't miss you, notice that you are your old self and come back he was just not 'the one'. We have to let go of the other person to see out what a relationship really was or is.

Life throws many curve balls. I have been married 36 years and believe me there have been serious emotional issues, anger issues, illnesses, accidents, job losses, plain old relating problems regarding personal likes and dislikes, children with their own personalities and wishes, etc, etc, and some of it has been extremely difficult on one or both of us. It is not always easy to have a partner. Some do give up. Some choose to not forgive. Sad fact of life.

Go on with your life and responsibilities. If he was really there for you he will gravitate back. Not by seeing you in mourning, but by seeing you took charge of yourself and moved on from where you were at. We cannot promise a partner there will be no hard times. We can promise there will be hard times.

Let him have his space and get yourself on with your life. He will figure things out for himself and if he ever was truly 'with' you, he will be back. And if he wasn't, you didn't lose anything worth having.

Give yourself a limit on how long to be sad, then decide to be happy with yourself that you got your meds under control. If he refuses to look back it's his loss not yours.

Love,

Last edited by yayagirl; 06-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
    leo h
    (male)

leo h HB User

Thank you so much for that great reply - you are so right. the mixed bag of getting off the medication and coming back to myself at the same time as losing the relationship makes it a little confusing, but there is no question that the return to myself is the biggest win I am ever going to get.

thank you again

Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

You go, Leo!
    You can do this.

Reply Reply