It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY HEAD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
    Jennifer B

Jennifer B HB User
    Question WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY HEAD?

Hello...I am a 26 year old female, married, and a mom to three children. For the past 4-5 months I have been having strange symptoms. It started out with short bouts of lightheadedness, mostly when driving or moving. These bouts became more frequent and severe. These spells are accompanied by a sort of "head pressure", not pain, just a feeling of pressure on the sides of my head. My scalp feels sore and I even get these sore spots on the sides of my head that last for several hours and feel similar to an insect bite. I am also tired and weak nearly all the time. My doctor referred me to an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor, assuming it was an inner ear problem. All tests were fine. He also put me on Paxil for stress, but it actually made me feel worse, so I stopped taking it. The problem is, I have always had this fear of diseases and illnesses, and I always seem to overreact to my symptoms, thinking there is something terribly wrong with me. In fact I began having panic attacks when I was 10 years old. Therefore, when I start having these lightheaded spells, it throws me almost instantly into a panic attack. I have been having panic attacks frequently (at least once a day). Plus my youngest child is 8 months old now and still not sleeping all night, so I have not slept a full night in almost a year. My husband works midnights, so I have no help at night. I seem to feel my worst toward the end of the day and into the night. I am wondering if these feelings could be caused solely from stress or being overly tired, or if it is something more serious. Last week my doctor sent me home with a 24 hour EKG monitor (no results yet) to check my heart. I just had a 5 hour glucose tolerence test today, to see if I may have a sugar problem. I am also scheduled for an MRI in a couple of weeks and may see a neurologist depending on the MRI results. I am just so tired of feeling this way, and it seems like it takes forever for doctors to get you in for tests. In the mean time I have this fear that I am dying all the time. Is there anyone would could give me some insight or advice, or anything that may be of help? I sure would appreciate it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jennifer B (edited 01-22-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
    Jennifer B

Jennifer B HB User
    Hi again....This is an add-on to my posting. I wanted to add that my scalp feels sore most of the time, sort of like a mild bruise. And sometimes I get these spots that actually swell up on the sides of my head for several hours at a time. They feel similar to an insect bite. My face and ears also get flushed and hot quite often, maybe from my nerves also?

Old 01-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
    nervousdave

nervousdave HB User
    hi,
    i know these feelings really suck. but, if this is any help, i'm inclined to say they're stress related simply due to your fear of death. that is a very common fear for those suffering from stress and anxiety.

nd

Old 01-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
    brands11

brands11 HB User
    Your fine! I just went to the doctor on Friday for the same exact symptoms. I thought I was dying, or so i convinced myself I was. THe doctor assured me I was ok, then took me off my paxil..hmm makes you wonder about paxil eh? I am now on a different med. and feel 100 times better, the symptoms are still present but not as intense. I tend to get the symptoms when i sit there and think about it, so i have forced myself to get active and forget about whats going on. Oh by the way the doctor said it is all stress, and the headaches are called tension headaches, wiht the pressure. THe best thing to take for them is motrin (they said that) then i tried it and amazingly it worked wonderful! Just gotta relax and reassure yourself you are healthy and you have a long life ahead of you, your kids need you to be strong, so start working on you and stop worrying about things that could happen. SO what if they did happen, you would still be strong, and at least then you had something to really worry about. SO until then, say who cares and start living. I know how you feel and it really sucks. (Now i need to go take my own advice) GOOD LUCK

Old 01-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
    Mandie
    Inactive

Mandie HB User
    Hi read your post and I felt like I was talking- I have the same symptoms- head pressure on the temples, and general pain all over as well. I have had the same symptoms for years on and off and I panic every time I get anything, like you do, for fear that I have something terrible. I have womderful doctors, but they are tired of giving me tests every time I have a symptom, so they just tell me that it is stress and relax. I call my dr. so much everytime something feels wrong that I think he is getting disgusted with me. I have such panic about sickness and my body and everyday I get up I feel tht something else is going to wrong, and it usually does. I have been in therapy and they keep telling me to think positive, but how can I when I never feel good. I get up every day, dreading the day, and finally, around 3 o'clock I have to take a nap because I am so tired of fighting all of these pains and fears of the pains that I have. I am on wellbutrin, but I don't know if it is helping me. I have tried the others and they make me feel sicker, and I just can't take any more now. I am so afraid of this pressure in my head now, but my dr. who has been treating me for years feels that I will be giving into my fears by running for more MRI's and tests and does not want me to go I am tempted to try another dr., but to tell you the truth, I have been to so many, I am running out of nice and compassionate doctors- they all get so disgusted with me- like the girl who cried wolf- only I fear that when the wolf really comes, no one will believe me. I would love to find a support group for these problems , even if it is online, but it is hard to find people that have these fears. I really don't think it is panic attacks, because I can function. I just am weary and tired of fighting all of these horrors that I am enduring, and having no answers to help me. I am also, so tired of taking drugs--- thanks for listening, and if you can help me in any way, I would appreciate it---

Old 01-24-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
    angel444

angel444 HB User
    Dear mandy
    i too suffer what your going through
    i think we need a chat room for this that way we could discuss it in a room not just wait for replies i wonder hpw we could do that
    if you need to talk my addt is [removed].com
    have a great day
    angel

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines.
    Emails are not allowed to be posted here. Please
    communicate through posting on the message boards, only.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 01-24-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 03:46 PM   #7
    MSH

MSH HB User
    Smile

Read Dr. Claire Weekes "Hope and Help For Your Nerves". I've had serious anxiety and panic attacks for about 6 months. In certain situations like driving, malls, restaraunts, etc. feel like I'm going to pass-out, couldn't breathe, in a fog, heart racing, tension headaces, feel like going to die, I just needed to get to a "safe place". I'm a very sociable person, active, young 30's and a lawyer who has to speak often in social settings, so it was (and still is at times) annoying and scary. Anyways, I read her book, and although it's not a cure-for-all, out of the several books I have read on the issue, it has helped out a lot. It's all about accepting the first strange feelings or pain in the head, and not letting the second fear (the panic attack) take you over. I used to be that every little unknown pain on my body, that befoe I wouldn't think twice about, now I think I'm dying. The book has helped change that though. Believe me, I still have them, just had a 10 minute episode yesterday, but I am learning through the book how to reprogram my body and mind not to overreact or panic.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #8
    Mandie
    Inactive

Mandie HB User
    It is nice to know that there are others out there like me- but I really do need a support group and can not find one in my area. Most are for panic attacks, but my problem is specifically an obsession on health issues. I used to also not think twice when something hurt or bothered me. I just never gave it a thought and it would soon go away. But now, whatever it is that I feel, I am so frightened and think that is is just horrible and I run to my doctor each time. He is getting so fed up with me , that I am really embarrassed. I vent to my family constantly. and I feel so sorry for my kids and husband. They used to have a fun loving person, but now, all they have is a broken person who has no interest in doing anything at all. I do not do anything socially, for fear that I will feel so bad that I will have to leave, so I just don't accept any invitations. I feel safe in my house where I can suffer alone and not put on any acts. I would love to make plans to travel, but each time I do, something happens whether it is my stomach, or my bladder condition, or even a virus. Many a plan has been ruined, so now, I don't take the chance of making any long term plans. I want so much to make each day count and enjoy myself, but, it just does not happen for me. Now, i just found out that I have to have extensive dental work( and painful too) I am so upset about this, I just don't know how many more horrible situations I can face. My husband keeps telling me that I am a "trooper" and I will get thru all of these upsets, but, I really feel llike I am falling apart inside and I just am afraid to let him know it. I am 55 years old, and I feel that this is the part of my life where I should be enjoying myself without many worries- that should come later in my 60's or 70's. Well. I keep thinking that if it is so bad now, what will become of me then?? I am sorry to be on such a downer, but, I just do not know what to do. M

Old 01-24-2003, 07:21 PM   #9
    kate_wv
    Inactive

kate_wv HB User
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the board, but I see myself in all of you. At one time or another through the years I've had so many of the same symptoms you all suffer. I'd just like to be able to help anyone I can with my experiences. My suffering wont be all in vain if I can tell someone "I've been there, I know!"...One of the first things that helped me on my road to understanding my anxiety disorder was that I'm not alone!..What a comfort it was to know others suffered like me. It had a NAME. Through the years I've tried therapy and different drugs, but I still have my rough times and I suspect I always will. Like Mandie I suffer from a fear of illness...every ache or pain is cancer...Ironically, I'm phobic about Dr's and tests so I wont go have tests. I just "wait for it to go away"....and it always does...When I can stop the cycle of anxiety over the symptom and realize it was just "nerves" it goes away...Like Jennifer..I have had the lightheadednes...It sometimes felt like the floor was moving under my feet. Once you can realize you have anxiety and that these symptoms are merely manifestations of that...it can help you "accept" and the symptom will disappear. "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" by Dr.Claire Weekes has been a great help to me in my road to understanding as well. I still refer to it after many years. Hope I havent been too "wordy"...This is my first post..I look forward to getting to know you all...and maybe help someone along the way as well as getting help from you all as well..

------------------
    Female/50
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder/40+ years
    Depression/3 years
    Been there, done it...If I can answer any questions you might have about symptoms, treatment, etc...I'd be glad to help.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:17 AM   #10
    Mandie
    Inactive

Mandie HB User
    Kate what have you done that has helped you besides read Dr. Weeks book? I just don't know where to turn anymore, and I just hate drugs. TOday I am sitting with such a pressure in my head, and I am so weak, and I want so much to run to a doctor to see if I have something terrible, but, everyone in my family tells me to forget about it and not to run to the doctor, so I am not for now. I just feel the one time that I listen to them all, I will find out I have something terrible too late. I just never feel good. I want to go out and shop today, but I am so tired and dizzy from my head. I have had MRI's in the past and tnank goodness they were all fine. But, how how many times do you go for them. Each time you get a symptom? How do you know when the symptoms are really bad? THese are the thoughts going thru my head all the time and I am being driven insane by them. How were you helped? M

Old 01-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #11
    nervousdave

nervousdave HB User
    hi,
    first, don't fear the meds. allow them to provide some balance so you can get a handle on this. second, take it one day at a time. if you constantly think "i want this to stop, stop, stop!", guess what, it won't stop. your thinking will only give it life. you should really find something to take your mind off of these thoughts. i, for instance, clean my house. yeah, not exciting, but it gets my mind off of the anxiety. i also have a pretty damn clean house too! ha ha ha.

nd

Old 01-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #12
    kate_wv
    Inactive

kate_wv HB User
    Hi Mandie...I feel for you..I really do. I have found different ways of coping through the years. Actually, I'm afraid of what a Dr. will tell me so I avoid going. I've had so many crazy things happen to me from nerves that that is the first thing I assume after I've suffered the panic. What I do is reason this way...if it's just nerves...it will go away eventually. If it's something really bad...it will get worse and then I will go to the Dr. You've already had lots of tests and been told you are fine. You need to accept that and realize you're fine except for your ultra-sensitive nervous system. Once you tell yourself "this is just anxiety"..and accept how you feel...trying not to be frightened of the symptoms your nerves cause...The dizzy head or whatever you are having will gradually go away. I've had the dizzy feeling...I've felt like the floor was heaving under me. But it was nerves, nothing more. One thing about anxiety, it can make you feel like you are surely dying. I still feel this from time to time. Anxiety is exhausting...that's what is making you tired. It's the adrenaline in your body ...too much of it building up and no where for it to go. I suggest you just go ahead and go shopping...or just for a walk. I've found that the more I sit and ponder my dizzy head or stomach "pain" or whatever I have...it makes it worse...Get out...get your mind off it for a time. You won't faint and you'll be distracted and feel better. I take Xanax right now, not in high dosages, but just enough to manage when I feel badly. I dont hate drugs and trust them to help me feel better until I can feel better on my own. I know families can get tired of hearing all this from us all the time. My own gets tired of me sometimes!..haha...That's one reason I came here...You're not alone and others out there feel just like us. One thing that helps me is just knowing someone else has felt the same!...Hope some of this helps...You're not alone, you aren't crazy, and you WILL feel better!..

Old 01-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #13
    Mandie
    Inactive

Mandie HB User
    What a great board this is- filled with such wonderful and compassionate people. Thank you so much for trying to help me. I did go shopping today, but everytime a salesperson told me to have a "nice Day' I felt like screaming I WISH I COULD!!! I went to the mall and had trouble walking because my leg feels stiff, and I have this pounding headache which is making me so very tired and foggy. But I needed to get out of the house or I would go crazy. My husband is on the computer all the time, so he really is not a big help to my distraction. It is so hard to function every day - I never know how much more will hit me. At the mall, I looked around and saw all the people smiling and enjoying themselves and I thought- "WHy can't I be like that?" So you see, I am so afraid what is happenning to me, I just can't make these thoughts stop because I feel so very bad and exhausted and depressed knowing that each day is not replaceable, and instead of making each day count, I count the hours for it turn into night so that I can be safe and sit at home and not be forced to go or try to be having a good time. Tomorrow I have to go to a party - for my husband's sake) I am dreading every minute of it. It is 2 hours away and the ride will be very hard for me, and I just cannot fake and be happy while everyone else is. I do put on a mask when I am with people so they don't know how much I am suffering, but it is quite difficult to have a good time when I am not. I just don't know what is going to become of me if I keep going in this direction I don't want to burden my family, and of course the doctors don't want to even talk to me -so- I am really in a bad place. I am sitting here crying as I am writing this because I just hate myself and wish that I could be like I used to be. I will not give up for my family's sake, but it is not easy for me.

Old 01-25-2003, 04:09 PM   #14
    kate_wv
    Inactive

kate_wv HB User
    Hi again Mandie...I thought about you today and wondered if you went shopping. You see you had a stiff leg, but you were still walking and it's not serious. It's just tension. Your headache is just tension...caused by your own fear of feeling the physical manifestations of tension. I found myself wishing we could have gone shopping together...It really helps to be with a person who really understands. My husband has never been a real support to me in my nervous illness. I've had to rely on friends and what I can read for the most part. Men, unless they have suffered anxiety themselves tend to be rather "unhelpful" in dealing with this sort of thing. As for the seeing people laughing and it seeming strange. That very same thing happened to me not long ago when I was getting my hair done. An older lady was in there...She was laughing and joking...having a great time and I wondered what was wrong with me that I cant be that way. How long have you suffered like this, Mandie?...I've had it almost all my life so it's like I can't really remember what it's like to feel "normal". I have suffered like you, but when I get to a certain point I have to see a Dr. I really wish you would consider some kind of medication...just till you can get a handle on your feelings and anxiety...The meds can calm you to the point that you can become more rational and not as focused on your physical symptoms and then you can begin to see that it's "just nerves"...You aren't crazy, you aren't dying...though you might feel every minute of the day you are. Don't go to the Dr and say "my leg is stiff" or "I'm dizzy"...Go in and tell them you are an anxiety sufferer and you need some help. I know the feeling of being "fogged in" and like your brain wont stop...The meds help that feeling, honest...and under a Dr's supervison can really help. I've been using Xanax for a little over a year. I take more when I'm upset and less when I'm not and I'm in no way addicted. I have also taken Serzone for depression in the past and it worked great with no side effects...It didnt help with anxiety, though. So I'm just saying....if you cant get control of your bad feelings on your own ..a few short term meds can help. I know, I dont like meds myself, but it's better than suffering like you are...You're not alone and we all understand...

------------------
    Female/50
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder/40+ years
    Depression/3 years
    Been there, done it...If I can answer any questions you might have about symptoms, treatment, etc...I'd be glad to help.

Old 01-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #15
    Mandie
    Inactive

Mandie HB User
    Kate thank you for being there for me- I thank everyone for trying to help me. It is so hard for me and I wish that I had someone like you to be with me today. We live across the country so I guess this would be a little hard. But maybe virtually, we can shop and go places together- just like today. I forced myself out on all of your advise. I don't know if it helped much, but at least I was not home crying. I just wish I would not have all of these physical symptoms at the same time, I get so scared as to what they mean. My leg is scaring me even though I went to the orthopedic dr. and he said that he felt it was just muscular. But, I think it is from the zocor that I take for cholesterol so I stopped it. I have been on that board trying to get advise for this problem too. Sometimes you have to be your own doctor. THey have given me some bad advise in the past and that is why I just do not trust whatever they tell me and I just feel that i have to keek searching until I can find reasons. It has been proven in the past that I was really suffering with treatable illnesses when the drs told me that it was only stress= This has been going on for 20 years now, so you see, it is really hard for me now to believe anyone or to have any faith. I am on ativan .5 three times a day, and also on wellbutrin (which I feel is doing nothing for me) I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in a week to see if I should change meds and how to go about it. I really don't want to go on any of the others, since I hafe had bad experiences with some SSRI's and tricylics. Sometimes, I just feel like screaming to the world and asking why all of this is happening to me, but I know that this will not help me at all. I do vent to my husband and kids ( who are all grown) but I think that they are even getting tired of hearing me and take me for a hypocondriac ( which I hate) Well, anyway, please keep writing to me and letting me know that you are all still there- thanks M

Closed Thread