It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Deep Cleaning?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
    Orsnher
    (female)

Orsnher HB User
    Deep Cleaning?

I get my teeth cleaned every four months. I brush and floss 3x a day.

The lady who cleans my teeth has been doing it along time. This time, the dentist was new and wanted to look. He measured my gaps and said they were 5 in places. But no blood or pain. He said I had to have deep cleaning next time I came.

After reading how some doctors abuse this technique, I am reluctant. And it is expensive. And it could make things worse.

What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
    Re: Deep Cleaning?

Yes, deep cleanings are very expensive requiring up to 4 visits. You didn't mention if you have Dental Insurance. I have dental insurance which is a group policy from my former employer ((I'm retired). Any expense over $300, my dentist is required to submit a pre treatment estimate along with xrays to my insurance company who review and determine if the work is necessary. If you don't have insurance then get another opinion. In every profession you have dishonesty.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Orsnher,

I had deep cleaning done once about 25 years ago and I definitely knew that I needed it. If I remember correctly, my gums had some red around the edges, rather than being completely pink. There was some soreness and there was some bleeding when I flossed. It was done in 4 visits and it was about $100. per visit. It might be more than twice that much today.

About 15 years ago, at a different dental office, my hygienist warned me that I probably would need deep cleaning. But I ignored the warning because I didn't have any of the usual symptoms that I mentioned above. My gums were pink, not sore, and not bleeding. So here I am 15 years later with no problems. I've been at a different dentist for about the past 10 years and she has never recommended deep cleaning.

Dentists often have different opinions. Several years ago I went to an elderly dentist who never saw any problems with my teeth. Then he sold his practice to a new (young) dentist and the new dentist said I had eight cavities. The retiring dentist was coming in one day a week during the transition so I made an appointment to see him. He checked my teeth and said his opinion was still the same, no cavities! I went for a 3rd opinion and he said I didn't have any cavities but needed 3 crowns. I went for a 4th opinion (an elderly dentist) and he agreed with the first dentist except that he thought I could use some work on my front tooth for cosmetic reasons. So he became my new dentist.

Whenever it involves something out of the ordinary, a second, 3rd or even 4th opinion can be very helpful. Finding a lot of work that needs to be done is called "aggressive" dentistry. That's what the elderly dentist told me about the new dentist who had bought his practice. That's known as being diplomatic. The new dentist wasn't a crook, he was simply practicing "aggressive" dentistry. ;-)

Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Orsnher,

You don't have to do any such thing. Patients make our own choices.
    Don't let anyone railroad you into anything you don't want to do.
    You can always get examined by a different dentist that is not affiliated with that place if you are unsure.

If that new dentist is the only one there you may as well take your business elsewhere.
    You may want to ask the receptionist for a copy of your records , first.
    Let us know what happens.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

There is usually a good reason for someone suggesting deep cleanings such as periodontal disease. (Disease of the gums). I would go see an endodontist to get a second opinion or even another dentist to see what they have to say.
    I would also ask the dentist to show you, on your Xrays, where you have disease that would require this to be necessary.

Reply Reply