It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Photopsia (flashing spots in vision)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
    Vision80
    (male)

Vision80 HB User
    Photopsia (flashing spots in vision)

7 years ago while working overseas as a teacher I began to experience flashing spots in my vision. I did not address them at the time as I was struggling with health issues, mainly IBS, and had to move back to the States as a result. I have lately become more concerned about them as they seem to have maybe gotten more prevalent over the years. I have not found any answers from meeting with doctors and am curious to find other people with a similar vision issue. The spots in my vision appear when light conditions change, mainly going from indoors to outdoors or when looking at dark objects, typically outside. The best description of these flashes I can provide is that they are typically darker (black in color) than the surrounding visual field and appear more commonly when looking at dark/black objects. They occur in clusters with individual spots appearing for a fraction of a second. They typically diminish over the course of 5 minutes and I do not see them again until light conditions change. I can typically see them when closing my eyes but only for a few seconds. I would love to hear from anyone who experiences a similar phenomena. They can be very disturbing especially when driving. I have had floaters for much of my life time (I'm 37) and also experience blue field entoptic phenomena but the effects of these floater is quite different from either of these visual conditions. In my searching I have not found anyone describe a similar issue. If you have experienced this I would love to hear from you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
    Budgieluv
    (female)

Budgieluv HB User
    Re: Photopsia (flashing spots in vision)

I sent you a PM as I have experienced something similar for over 2 years and have never found anyone else with this weird symptom.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
    xltjim
    (male)

xltjim HB User

I have similar symptoms, curious if anything was uncovered. So far have had OCT, been to GP, nothing found. It comes and goes on an almost daily basis. Goes away after being awake for an hour. Seems to be triggered by getting up in the morning by going from dark to lighter environments. Have had this for almost a year in both eyes. Dr. says its migraine but I do wonder. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Have you been checked out by a good Ophthalmologist? A medical doctor of the eyes?

Floaters are normal, but changes in color or disturbances can be caused by a detached retina, which can be serious...or it could be that you have cataracts forming. Does wearing dark sunglasses outside help?

You should really go see a good Ophthalmologist and have a full eye exam. They have machines which can see behind the eye to make sure that the optic nerve is intact and isn't swollen or damaged.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
    xltjim
    (male)

xltjim HB User

I neglected to offer a little history. In 2017 I had a detached retina in left eye repaired with vitrectomy and then cataract repair. Last October I had 5 retina tears in my right eye repaired with vitrectomy and just recently had cataract repair. I have been to my retina ophthalmologist md about the flickering issue twice. Both times I had OCT scans with dilated exam and nothing found, but thought could be migraine. Went to my primary care GP who did complete physical w/blood work and nothing found. He thought that my blood pressure being low in the am could be causing the issue. Discussed with a different opthalmologist while I was getting the consultation for cataract removal. Was given OCT and full dilated exam by her and nothing found. I am pretty much at a loss at this point. It is more of an annoyance to me and clears up within 30-60 minutes each time. Sometimes its one eye, others it seems to be both (or one or the other if that makes sense). Sometimes I get mild flicker, others more, sometimes I dont get it at all.

Been monitoring my blood pressure with home monitor but while it is low in am, its more on the normal low side (100/70). So, my plan for now is to let my recent cataract repair heal -- then I guess see a neuro-opthalmologist. Other than that I may just live with it and take it further if it changes. Perhaps with the trauma from the retina issues, detachments, or just plain aging (60) its something thats the new normal for me. We will "see". Thank you. Jim

Reply Reply