It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Think I got wood speck in the eye

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
    sara2020
    (female)

sara2020 HB User
    Think I got wood speck in the eye

So on monday night someone was holding some tools near my face that had some wood particles and small specks of paint that had fallen on them from drilling into painted wood. I felt some irritation in my eye but I was not sure that I had actually gotten anything in my eye and am prone to eye irritation anyway since I have dry sensitive eyes. I couldn't get to a sink to wash my eye right then so I hoped if I got anything in my eye it was a small speck of wood and hoped it would work its way out, after 30 min or so my eye felt better and I assumed it was gone, then 2 hours later my eye felt irritated again so I washed out my eye. The last couple days my eye has felt sore, particularly when using the computer, and I want to be sure there is no wood speck still in my eye. There is no redness or discharge. I have been to the eye doctor many times for things that got in my eye and they always say they didn't find anything. I had heard that for metal specks in the eye that the eye will actually heal over them if you don't wash them out within an hour or so, and then they have to scrape them off with a needle. Does anyone know if that is true for wood specks, or paint specks or can you still wash out wood specks and paint specks after 2 hours?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Think I got wood speck in the eye

Metal specks will not heal themselves. My husband is a welder, and he has had metal specs removed from his eyes more than a few times- by an Ophthalmologist with a laser. I imagine that wood is very much the same.

You need to see an ophthalmologist- an MD who specializes in the eyes.. always wear protective glasses when you are working around any type of wood or metal. My husband does this- but even so, small pieces of weld often spark off and go behind his mask.

Don't ignore this as ignoring it can cause an infection and permanent issues; go see an eye doctor.

Reply Reply