It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Surgery in June

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
    LauraBSD
    (female)

LauraBSD HB User
    Question Surgery in June

Hi everyone...Ive been reading the different threads on this board for a while and decided to finally post. In June I am scheduled for :gastrocnemius recession , lateral ankle stabilization, posterior tibial tendon lengthening and a plantar fasciotomy. I have tried the walking boot, a cast for 5 weeks, multiple orthotics and PT. I have had both knees replaced as well as L5-S1fusion and C5-C7 fusion. Needless to say my joints are kind of a pain...

Im not too worried about pain or PT, the knee replacements were rough, but I made it thru...I am going to Europe next year and want to be able to walk around! I may also need C3-C5 fused this year, but am hoping to get the foot out of the way first...Im only 51 and have a LOT of living to do!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Surgery in June

Dear LauraBSD,

There is no way for us to guess how you will heal or recover.
    I suggest that you ask the opinion of your doctor.

I personally would put the surgery off till after Europe, or else till at least year later rather than to risk ending up in a wheel chair or needing medical attention.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
    LauraBSD
    (female)

LauraBSD HB User

Thank you! I have asked my doctor and he gave me the quick run down of time in cast and boot etc.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Laura,

I have had various leg and foot surgeries and have had to use crutches for six months, have had to use a wheel chair, a cane or a leg brace, have often needed to put my foot up or stay off of it for six months to a year, and I am a fast healer.

Again, when you have that much going on, unless you want to avoid being at Europe in a wheel chair or an emergency room, I suggest that you reschedule until you had time to completely recover including being released for a tour by your physical therapist that evaluated what you can safely do. Doing too much too soon can cause a set back that can make recovery longer. None of those things are predictable.

Trying to hurry up to have fun can result in a very bad experience and disappointment. It really doesn't matter how anyone else recovered. An athlete might bounce back while other folks can end up with severe complications from doing too much too soon. Only your therapist can evaluate where you are at or might be in this process.

Just because a doctor says you will have this much down time and time in a boot, he cannot predict what you will really able to tolerate or need. One time we bounce back and another time there can be an irritated nerve or a bone doesn't fuse properly or a pin or plate moves. Surgery isn't like a car repair and it's done and ready for normal use at a predicted time.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    LauraBSD (04-30-2019)
    Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Obviously not a doctor. But since your not going until next year, this may be the time to do it. Hopefully you will be in better shape by then, than you are now.

Is the schedule locked in for the trip? Would it be worth looking at trip insurance and reviewing the fine print?

Myself if it was a planned vacation, that I had not put money down, and it was a year out, for a surgery I have to have, I'd probably want to get it over with.

The most import question may be, would you want to go, in the shape you are in now? If no, then you have your answer. If not than you need to ponder.

I understand the concerns about what if there are complications, or doesn't go as planned. But do you want it on your mind for the next year, that you need this surgery. Only you and your doc, can will say.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
    LauraBSD (05-07-2019)
    Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #6
    sharoni
    (female)

sharoni HB User

I also am scheduled for a five part foot surgery on June 13th. I had wanted to Sweden and Spain this September but when I saw my surgeon in the spring she told me I needed the surgery now and I would enjoy my trip much more if I waited until next year to make the trip. I am 70 not 51 but I too have a lot of living to do and want to be able to enjoy my travels even if it means delaying it. I won't make plans for the trip until I know I am ready for it.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
    LauraBSD
    (female)

LauraBSD HB User
    Re: Surgery in June UPDATE

Had my surgery on June 11th and it went well..I rented a sit down knee scooter because the regular knee scooter I could not use due to my knee replacement..the scooter has been a life saver!..I was in the splint for 2 days and then at first check up I was put in a hard cast. Was in the hard cast for only a week due to I was having severe burning pain on lateral incision. Went back bank in splint for 1 1/2 weeks and the got my stitches out and put back into hard cast. They added an extra layer of foam around the entire foot and calf and then put the plaster cast on. I am NWB still and it has been 5 weeks. I get to try a little WB next week and then on the 31st I get my cast off! I cannot wait! I don't have a lot of pain, but if my foot is down for anything longer than 10 min I get severe swelling in the cast and calf. I can feel the incision sites but they are manageable. The hardest part of this surgery is the mental part of it. I am not one to lay around and watch TV and having to do this for 5 weeks has been brutal. I am very fortunate and I have my husband who is taking care of all of the things I would usually take care of and he works 2 jobs and takes care of me as well...We don't have children and have a 14month old puppy. I am really looking forward to getting the cast off, but am not sure what to expect after that..Wonder if I will be able to walk without assistance and wonder if the swelling will lessen..There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: LauraBSD
    Machaon (07-19-2019)
    Reply Reply