It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Recently had Subtalar fusion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #1
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User
    Recently had Subtalar fusion

I recently had a Arthroscopic Subtalar fusion on May 7th , Was originally going to be with a bone graft but the surgeon said it didnít need one after all, 2 Nights in hospital , Could have been one night but I had a lot of bleeding through my cast , Doctor decided to leave it on rather then change it and disturb the original sterile dressing! , No more blood loss now , Is this normal after surgery? Pain is not too bad now especially after I was expecting worse when the nerve blocks wore off , What a strange thing the nerve blocks are,? Really strange feeling when you canít move your toes , I was expecting more pain but not too bad so far 5 days onwards. Iíve Got a cast change 2 weeks after surgery then another cast on for possibly another 6 weeks if all has been successful , Counting the days and long nights already, Praying itís gonna help me walk better and without pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Recently had Subtalar fusion

They wanted to fuse mine, but I was to swollen at the time, so they waited.

What I think is most important is PT. You need to do it like it is your job. At home too.

Been a couple years since you accident, right? Pain just get to bad? I have wondered how do you know when time to do it.

I think I mentioned before, but for me really good thick socks, and good shoes/boots. I rest when I can too. Standing kills me. I do good on earth, which is good for me. But not concrete, which is bad too.

I am guessing you got a few weeks on laying around with your feet up.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Hi Zerk, Yea couldnít carry on every day dragging a painful foot around that got worse throughout the day Trying to work in the Building trade wasnít easy and was told by consultants that it wouldnít get any better so decided the fusion was the best option to have a few years of quality life pain free, The recovery sucks, Iím into the first week and just trying to wean myself off the pain medication , Crutches are a pain and Iím looking at 12 weeks no weight bearing!! , First week ainít too bad as the rest is good but I know the next few weeks are going to be tough, Hope I can get through this and have a good outcome and itís all worth it. Hope youíre doing ok and improving, Thanks again for your reply

Old 05-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I started out in trades. Now I am in construction field but more technical stuff, where I can sit a bit. Gravel and concrete is tough. Extensions ladders too.

Fireman told me to stand with your heel on the rung, not towards your toes.

I hope it works, I am curious. But I have to wonder, if running crews, estimates, ect is something to think about. I am in similar boat. Some days worse than others. Low level pain meds take care of it for me. But pain management doctors are getting to be an issue, and the cost just to walk in and say everything is fine is ridiculous.

This spring was good for me. Springs can be almost depressing. Winter doesn't bother my arthritis. Maybe snake oil, but I think I believe in fish oil, and maybe joint supplements.

Topic anti inflammatories can help, but need script.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Thanks Zerk , Yes a lot to think about regarding future employment, Iím Into 3rd week now , just had cast change and stitches out , Not on any pain meds but still trying to keep it elevated as much as possible, Got some nasty pain in middle outer area of foot if I move toes a bit too much , Days are very long, Never though Iíd miss working but just trying to make the best of it , Just to walk my dogs would be nice .

Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

It was funny after my initial injury, I would mark things off my list that I would not done since. Like go in the basement. I got big fenced in back yard, so I would sit back there and watch the dogs. But once I was able to do more it was nice to walk dogs.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Hi Zerk, Walking is such a privilege that we all take for granted so much and sometimes complain when we have to do long distances etc, So hard when your injured or recovering from surgery, Getting out in He country is a real pleasure especially with a dog or two by your side itís surprising how much they get you out the house and see so much more than you would without one .
    Really hoping I can return to long country walks.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I do well walking in woods. Waking on concrete or hard surfaces kills me. But I am lucky I can still enjoy outdoors.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I talked to surgeon today, and set up apt with another surgeon in couple weeks. The last month has been bad. Usually mornings are fine, after resting. But sometimes I can feel it right from the first step in the morning. Havn't had a good day in a while.

Sprin is always bad for me, but it is July 2nd. Early spring was fine. Maybe all the rain. Maybe will settle down.

If settles down, I will have to decide when the best time of year is for surgery. I always thought spring or late winter. Not walking on ice and snow removal is mostly done. But part of me thinks I could have it done by deer season. If it doesn't settle done, will sooner than later.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I realize 8-12 weeks no weight bearing. Is feet elevated the whole time like it was after the accident? I was in a bad car wreck initially, so I had no energy anyways.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Hi Zerk, Iím into the 8th week, The first 2-4 weeks is elevating the foot especially the first 2, I saw consultant at six weeks for a cast change and he said to steadily start putting more gradual weight each week, I go back at the next six week appointment stage for cast removal which is now 4 weeks away and the consultant said I should be doing some kind of walking without crutches by then , At this stage that seems a world away, Thereís never a right or wrong time to do it ,I think itís just a case of jumping in and hoping for the best, Whatever and when you do it I wish you well And Iím always dropping in on here if you wanna discuss how your progressing or just have a comparison on injuries , Ha!! Good luck.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Spring is bad time for me. But July now. Last couple days maybe getting back to sorta level I am normally at. The 12 week recovery gives me turmoil. I was in bad accident wheel chair, multiple issues. Sometimes wish I just stayed in chair and got it done. Though been 10 years, good and bad times. Gotten sorta kinda almost used to it. Though I am stronger now, and can probably deal with it easier now. Other side had broken leg, so getting around was tough.

I am thinking if I do it, winter or spring would be good time. If I can go back to way I was until then.

Another appt with ankle guy in couple weeks, see what he says. Probably same as ortho.

Like to hear how recovery goes. How it is after 12 weeks.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #13
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Wishing you Good luck whatever you decide , Itís a long ride, Iíve got just over 3 weeks in the cast now, the the fun starts when I start trying to walk without it ,Just hope all has gone to plan as thatís a worrying moment when I get the 12 weeks X-rays looking if the Fusion has worked, Iíll let you know.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I talked to surgeon yesterday. Said 10 years was a long time to make it without fusion. 5-6 months before I can be on ladders, but 2-3 months before light duty.

I am thinking maybe this winter. I was going to do spring, with thoughts I will be past snow removal part of year. But I am concerned about how active I would be in 3 months, for summer. Another thought is, younger you are, quicker body will recover. Probably should have done it 10 years ago, but better than waiting another 10 or so.

Hope it is going well for you.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

I Thought doing it in May at least I got the spring and summer where I can at least sit in the garden for a change of scenery at least, Donít think I could stand the long dark winter days and nights we have here stuck inside , Got a week and half to go before cast removal, Started steadily increased weigh bearing with a cast shoe Iíve now got but its giving me lots of swelling, Donít think I would be able to take a full step, Will see how I feel when cast comes off , Will post a couple of days after cast removal and let you know, All the best with your decision

Reply Reply