It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Is there any hope for crack addiction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Question Is there any hope for crack addiction?

I have a daughter addicted to crack, she got away from it once & was clean & sober & doing ok but slid back. I know this is the ultimate tool of the devil & so hard to get off of. It has ruined her whole life & really think it will kill her. She says she is not strong enough. Has anyone gotten off it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
    nomoreopiatesihope

nomoreopiatesihope HB User
    when i lived in panama city, fla- i really got into that. it is so hard to put down. the only thing that stopped me was to get away....far away. i moved to oklahoma (of coarse not by choice, i broke my back and couldnt work or pay bills). after away from it for a while, i actually forgot about it, since it was months before i could even walk. i know you might not be able to take it to that extreme, but try to really encourage her to stay away from other smokers (good friends or not), places to buy, etc.

i'm afraid to say this, and i hope i'm wrong in your case, but she wont have much luck quitting unless she really wants to quit herself, or she is put in a situation like i was and couldnt get it. i hope everything turns out o.k. does she ever show any signs of wanting to drop this addiction??

Old 08-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Thanks for replying sad to say she says she's not strong enough to quit. She's in a real bad area & lives without electric. She's such a good person too so sad. A woman up there sent me a suicide letter that she wrote when she was not high & took pills. I called the police up there & asked them to arrest her, I'd rather see her in jail (not the 1st time) then where she is.

Old 08-24-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    Hi there...I am not sure about crack but there are members here that have beaten Heroin and thats bad as well. I am sure some of them will be along to answer you shotly.
    Crack is a form of Cocaine isnt it? Sorry I am a little green with the street drugs. I had a friend that was addicted to cocaine and he had an awful time fighting the WD and he slipped back quite a few times.
    I remember stayed the weekend with him at his request to help him detox. It was an awwful site poor guy chills, vomiting, runs you name it.
    I have detoxed from Pain killers before but I am not sure if crack detox is the same or not.
    I will say a prayer for you and your daughter I have 3 daughters 21 19 and 12 of my own and I would be as upset as you are if any of them was in trouble like that. And I would be there to support them like you are with your daughter. Take care and God bless.
    Autumn.

Old 08-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #5
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Something else I want to say is I can understand being addicted since I can't give up smoking. I cough & get sick & know it can kill me & still cannot stop.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Thank you so much for your prayers, I pray for her all the time. She went to a 12 step program for awhile a couple of yrs ago & what a change in her. She was doing great & I thought everything would be fine then she always meets someone who uses.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
    Autumn Angel
    Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
    How old is your daughter Redjoy? Why is she living without electric? That has to be awful for her. I understand what you mean about meeting friends that use, peer pressure must be hard to resist. I wish she could come to this site like you have and talk to some of the people that have been there and are now clean and happy. There are people here that I talked to as they were detoxing and they are now months clean and much happier like my buddy Timsworld...Oh Tim My Tim where are ya man?? lol. He is a wonderful success story in my eyes. Again God bless you and your daughter.
    Autumn.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
    slinkyton
    Inactive

slinkyton HB User
    I also lived without electric for a time while on meth. I was addicted very badly to it for a period of 1 1/2 years. The people who smoked meth were worse off than those of us that were snorting meth. The electric isn't the issue, what is the issue is that she is just going lower and lower on the scale until life is no longer 'normal' and she compromises all of her morals. What's next I would say to myself, will I be selling my car, my clothes, my kids next? That is what you are looking at.

My friend, seeing how far I was willing to go, and how bright and capable I had been said to me once, "Well is this all there is?" and I looked at him and replied "I don't know" all the while I was thinking how do I get off this stuff.

I had people yelling at me viciously to stop and still I didn't stop, but I heard them yelling and I knew that I had to do something. It took a long time.

I finally went to a rehab center and moved out of town. I had to call my sister to come and help relocate me there. I was incapable at that point of doing anything at all for myself. I was a mess.
    Some of them are still there doing that. They have either not hit the bottom, or the bottom just keeps getting lower and lower. I know this sounds dire, I still wish sometimes I could have some. It is THE most addictive thing I have ever done not because of the addicition but because of the way it brought me down until I was virtually homeless and skanky.

The best advice I can give you is to remind her constantly, along with anyone who will help you, that she is going down and down and what will she do next. The constant hearing of it over time wore me down. I don't know if that will work for everyone. You don't have to yell it, but just say it at least twice a month.
    If she is willing, pull her out of there and give her a rehab and a home and try to get her to see the sense of what she is becoming.

Good Luck to you!

Old 08-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User
    crack is a very powerful drug. It is physically addicting as well as phycologicaly addictive. It is so hard to walk away from it. It becomes your everything and you will give everything and anything for it. You live for the high. Unless she is at rock bottom she will continue to go out and use. But even then it calls you and becons you to come to it. It promises to never leave you or desert you. It becomes your life and eventually will try to take your life. I over dosed so many times on this I was caught in the clutches of crack and cocaine. I smoked it, snorted it, shot it, and found it very hard to leave alone. It was my lover. It was by the grace of God that I found a good church and was delivered from it. I had no withdrawls no nothing but was filled with Gods precious spirit. God replaced that emptiness that was in my life and filled the holes. It has been 10 years since I last used. I used to go to church high but that only lasted until God got ahold of me. I have no desire to go back to my old using days. I am now a ministers wife and have found life to have so much meaning. I work with and councel drug addicts and women incarcerated. There is hope for your daughter but you need to be looking in the right places for help and she has got to want to change.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #10
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User
    yes red the crack addiction can be overcome if your daughter has set her mind to it and is serious about it.will need both parents help along with NA/AA for counsling and guidence.i smoked crack 2times in my life and did not like it at all.people say that you get hooked the 1st time that you do it and i say this is a bunch of BULL period.i never been hooked on crack but am hooked on opiate pills and to me the pain pills are a million times harder to qquit than crack or anyother drug and i mean it.ive got friends that have used alot of crack and crank and ALL of them say same thing-nothing is harder to quit than the pills are-and this comes from some low life dopeheads believe me.i guess my point is that while it is bad to be addicted to any drug,just be so glad that he/she isnt hooked/enslaved to herion or narcotic pain pills as these are the hardest to get off of and get a clear head to lead a normal drugfree life.my thoughts and prayers are with you the sparkster

Old 08-25-2003, 05:14 AM   #11
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Thanks to all of you for caring, this is not a new thing, she got addicted to crack when she was in her 20's & really went downhill. Since then she has tried every once in awhile to get off. She's 34 now & has hit bottom so many times w/jail,mental inst, loosing her kids, almost getting killed, seeing a boyfriend shot to dead so I am afraid her only bottom left is death. You have to want to do it & she just says she's not strong enough. The living without elec thing is because all money goes to crack. I know she was shooting it up for awhile too sd she stopped after getting hep but who knows. Some church people wanted to help her but I am not in the same area & even if I could go & see her from what I hear even the cops don't want to go into her area. She knows all about the 12 step program most of our family is in it for yrs so thats nothing new to her. I am going to call the police where she is & see about getting her arrested which is hard since they don't have much interest.

Old 08-25-2003, 05:58 AM   #12
    Monday1954
    Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
    Red Joy, I know you are worried sick about your
    daughter. Since you already know about the 12
    step programs, are you in Alanon or Narcanon
    yourself? Please check these out for you, not
    for her - if you have trouble attending meetings
    or don't want to go, there is an online meeting.
    Just type in RODAT in the search block, you should
    be able to find it with no problem.

If she is 34 now and been having problems since
    her 20's you have had a long, rough time of it
    I am sure. As everyone else here is saying, she
    is the only one that can stop the addiction - you
    can help yourself learn to live in spite of her
    problems.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:17 AM   #13
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    I've been told to go to other support groups before but I'm taking care of her son who is chronically ill & I'm the only one in charge of my 90yr old Mom so it's hard to get to mine & others. I looked for RODAT on here & a search engine & couldn't find it.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
    redjoy
    Inactive

redjoy HB User
    Thanks, I finally did find it & I found a support group for people whos loved ones are on crack which is good.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #15
    imthatguy

imthatguy HB User
    I've lost a few friends to crack. It is a hard drug to get off of, but there is always hope. I had a friend who just gave it up one day. He finally realized what he was doing and just stopped. He still had his crack-head friends coming by, and he would just turn them away, wouldn't even let them in the door. I don't know what woke him up but in the course of a day, he just up and quit, cold turkey. Hey, and if slinkyton could get off meth, which I believe is the most addicting drug there is, your daughter can do it too. I really don't know what advise to give. I feel very bad for you and your situation, and I really wish I could give you some good advise. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Closed Thread