It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anemia Message Board

  • Oral B12

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
    Smokey
    Junior Member
     
    Smokey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 15
    Smokey HB User
    Post Oral B12

    Does anyone know how long the body takes to restore its B12 levels? I realise each person is different but I'm trying to guage how long it might be before I start to feel any better. I've done an awful lot of internetting but cant seem to find any reference on this -an anyone help???

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 11-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    NancyH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2001
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 1,654
    NancyH HB User
    It's hard to gauge it if you don't have a basis to go by. If you are just low (how low?)taking a daily supplement will do. If you lack the intrinsic factor you must take B12 sublingual along with the injections. I have pernicious anemia and it took nearly 3 yrs of weekly injections to get tissue saturation, about a year before I felt ok but some of the nerve damage was irreversible. My level was 96! It depends on alot of other things in order to determine how long it may take to feel ok and then again it isn't like you are going to feel euphoric or anything, you may not notice except the fatigue will deminish.

     
    Old 11-04-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
    Smokey
    Junior Member
     
    Smokey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 15
    Smokey HB User
    NancyH, thanks for the post. I'm 103 low. The Doc hasn't told me why its happened she's just mentioned she thinks its stress related IBS but personally I'm not convinced as I'm not stressed and don;t have anymore symptoms of IBS other than a bit a D now and again (and only since I arrived in Canada in April) Last time was three days before I visited the doc two months ago. I don;t know if I have IF or not but definately don't have PA. All I got from the doc was a pat on the head and 'take some vitamins it'lll clear up' (notice no time frame here) As I feel like I'm walking in treacle quite often, I didn't think quick enough to ask any further hence the questions and serious internetting!


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    It's hard to gauge it if you don't have a basis to go by. If you are just low (how low?)taking a daily supplement will do. If you lack the intrinsic factor you must take B12 sublingual along with the injections. I have pernicious anemia and it took nearly 3 yrs of weekly injections to get tissue saturation, about a year before I felt ok but some of the nerve damage was irreversible. My level was 96! It depends on alot of other things in order to determine how long it may take to feel ok and then again it isn't like you are going to feel euphoric or anything, you may not notice except the fatigue will deminish.

     
    Old 11-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
    LF105
    Newbie
     
    LF105's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 6
    LF105 HB User
    I feel your pain - i have taken every test imaginable to determine the cause of my low b12. Last month my b12 was at 74. I have had daily, weekly and monthly shots, with not much improvement. My new doctor has me taking 1000 mcg a day of oral b12. My old doctor said i would have to take oral supplements for the rest of my life. This new doctor is having my blood tested every six weeks to see if the oral b12 is helping matters. I'll let you know next month if the supplements have increased my levels at all since i just started taking them. Regardless nothing seems to improve my energy level - shots or supplements. When my b12 is low, there isn't anything that can instaneously give me a boost! The only thing i find that helps is to eat a well balanced diet - junk food makes me feel worse. And nap if you are tired... i just get grumpier and even more tired if i don't nap when i know i must! How long have you been taking the supplements? if its been a while, why don't you request your b12 count be tested again? No use continuing on with the daily supplements if they aren't doing anything. Good luck!

     
    Old 11-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
    Smokey
    Junior Member
     
    Smokey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 15
    Smokey HB User
    Hi there, thanks for the post. I wish I could say the same but having only had the one test I feel a bit like I'm just hanging in the wind. I absolutely hate the idea of going to the doc's anyway so I can't even make my mind up as to wether to change doc's or not. The worse thing is that as I can't make my mind up, I post on the internet a lot but for some reason can't seem to elicit any replies EXCEPT for in here so a big THANK YOU to everyone who's replied now and in the past. Gee I feel reaaaaally pathetic...I'll make an appointment when it stops snowing.

    Please, please do let me know how you get on and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    Pat.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LF105
    I feel your pain - i have taken every test imaginable to determine the cause of my low b12. Last month my b12 was at 74. I have had daily, weekly and monthly shots, with not much improvement. My new doctor has me taking 1000 mcg a day of oral b12. My old doctor said i would have to take oral supplements for the rest of my life. This new doctor is having my blood tested every six weeks to see if the oral b12 is helping matters. I'll let you know next month if the supplements have increased my levels at all since i just started taking them. Regardless nothing seems to improve my energy level - shots or supplements. When my b12 is low, there isn't anything that can instaneously give me a boost! The only thing i find that helps is to eat a well balanced diet - junk food makes me feel worse. And nap if you are tired... i just get grumpier and even more tired if i don't nap when i know i must! How long have you been taking the supplements? if its been a while, why don't you request your b12 count be tested again? No use continuing on with the daily supplements if they aren't doing anything. Good luck!

     
    Old 11-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    NancyH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2001
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 1,654
    NancyH HB User
    Pernicous Anemia is the lack of Intrinsic Factor. Hey Smokey, did your Doctor even check for the Intrinsic Factor? Like did she give you the Shilling Test? They can't just look at your B12 level and know if you have the IF or not. They need to test for the reason as to why it is low and the first stop is the shilling test for the IF, if she didn't she is just hopeing that the problem is from IBS. B12 deficiency can cause stomach problems, intestinal problems and a slew of stange medical conditions can precipate any of them. The new guidelines for the B12 low level is 225 as opposed to the previous 200. IF you are that low I would request she find out why and not just assume it is your diet or IBS or whatever. If it is your diet then fine but if it is from the lack of IF you could be in big trouble down the line. I take the sublingual as well as the injection every week and get the level tested at least every 3 months. I would seek another Dr if she just poo poos you off.

    Last edited by NancyH; 11-10-2003 at 06:40 PM.

     
    Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #7
    Smokey
    Junior Member
     
    Smokey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 15
    Smokey HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    Pernicous Anemia is the lack of Intrinsic Factor. Hey Smokey, did your Doctor even check for the Intrinsic Factor? Like did she give you the Shilling Test? They can't just look at your B12 level and know if you have the IF or not. They need to test for the reason as to why it is low and the first stop is the shilling test for the IF, if she didn't she is just hopeing that the problem is from IBS. B12 deficiency can cause stomach problems, intestinal problems and a slew of stange medical conditions can precipate any of them. The new guidelines for the B12 low level is 225 as opposed to the previous 200. IF you are that low I would request she find out why and not just assume it is your diet or IBS or whatever. If it is your diet then fine but if it is from the lack of IF you could be in big trouble down the line. I take the sublingual as well as the injection every week and get the level tested at least every 3 months. I would seek another Dr if she just poo poos you off.
    Hi NancyH, thanks for the reply it was really just what I needed. You know how it helps just to hear someone else saying what you're thinking

    No Schilling Test or anything else for that matter. Its an interesting thought that even if this is IBS it had only been happening for six months at most so my question is where did the other at least 18 months of stored B12 Its also interesting to me that all the information I now know about this, I've found from the internet and not my Doc. I know I've got to go back and I should be a gown up about this but I'm dreading it. Silly really
    Many thanks, Pat.

     
    Old 11-11-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    NancyH's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2001
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 1,654
    NancyH HB User
    B-12 Anemia doesn't develop until 2 to 4 years after the body stops absorbing the B-12. It is seen most often in individuals of Northern European extraction

    The word "pernicious" means highly injurious, destructive, or deadly. "Pernicious" comes from the Latin root "nex" meaning "violent death." Pernicious anemia was once quite deadly. Today it fortunately is not.

    Pernicious anemia has also been called Addison anemia, addisonian.
    Are you seeing a regular Dr? I'd advise looking into seeing either a hematologist or neurologist as this is their specialty. Your average primary Dr doesn't look at B12 level as anything to be concerned with usually.

    My first visit to a neurologist, she was a female, took MRI blood work and a few other tests. when the MRI came back she put it up on the little screen thingy(don't know the name)and I asked what were those white spots on the brain and she said you get that as you get older, and sometimes it can signify MS (I was 44 then) and told me to go home and rest. By the end of that year I was having difficulty naming objects at work and carry on a intelligent conversation with clients, my moods were looney and up and down, my vision was good then bad, colors I couldn't even identify, like I was color blind. When I turned 46 I started having electrical jolts that felt like someone put a sword down the middle of my head to the spine, didn't hurt, felt like I fell to the floor, tho co workers said I didn't appear to have experienced anything. My boss told me either go to the dr or I would have to be laid off so I went. I couldn't get back in to see the same neurologist(lucky for me)so I ended up at another one in the same building. I had to pick up the MRI report from her office. By this time I was having lots of neurological problems including memory loss, long term kind where I couldn't remember much of my early childhood OR the years rasing my daughters, certain events etc. I spent 3 hrs in that office, he drilling me with questions like 95 from 100(I couldn't even tell him)what is this and that, walking, standing on one foot with eyes closed all kinds of stuff. He asked me if I had any follow up tests the radiologist suggested which I didn' t know about, the radiologist was concerned for MS or demylinating disease and suggested further tests, she never mentioned any of it or recognized the radiologist report. Needless to say he diganosed me with PA and then took tests to confirm it and I've been going to him ever since, I'm 55 now and and last year I did start to get some of my childhood memories and events in raising my daughters back some. So I'm saying you don't have to take her word for it, they are not always right or are they always concerned and if I had questioned her more and been more aggressive instead of thinking "it must be ok she would tell me so I'll assume it is stress like SHE said and not worry about it" I would have been treated a few years earlier and have less neurological damage. I won't have it all back but I did get back well over half. Sorry this is long but this is also what can happen when we think the Dr knows best.

    Last edited by NancyH; 11-11-2003 at 06:30 PM.

     
    Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #9
    Smokey
    Junior Member
     
    Smokey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 15
    Smokey HB User
    Ths is reeeealy scary stuff - just the kick up the butt I need. Lucky for me my symptoms are in no way any comparason to what you've experienced but when I went to see her I felt like I was swimming in a tin of syrup so you can imagine my discussion was rather one way. The Doc I registered with is the first I've been to for at least 10 years as I'm generally a very fit bod so I went to her specifically with this problem. I've only met her twice and I thought she'd be a good one as she's an immigrant too. The blood tests she did didn't indicate anything else being a problem (I've got a copy) so PA wasn't mentioned.

    I'll take a deep breath and phone today.
    Thanks for the post....Pat


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    B-12 Anemia doesn't develop until 2 to 4 years after the body stops absorbing the B-12. It is seen most often in individuals of Northern European extraction

    The word "pernicious" means highly injurious, destructive, or deadly. "Pernicious" comes from the Latin root "nex" meaning "violent death." Pernicious anemia was once quite deadly. Today it fortunately is not.

    Pernicious anemia has also been called Addison anemia, addisonian.
    Are you seeing a regular Dr? I'd advise looking into seeing either a hematologist or neurologist as this is their specialty. Your average primary Dr doesn't look at B12 level as anything to be concerned with usually.

    My first visit to a neurologist, she was a female, took MRI blood work and a few other tests. when the MRI came back she put it up on the little screen thingy(don't know the name)and I asked what were those white spots on the brain and she said you get that as you get older, and sometimes it can signify MS (I was 44 then) and told me to go home and rest. By the end of that year I was having difficulty naming objects at work and carry on a intelligent conversation with clients, my moods were looney and up and down, my vision was good then bad, colors I couldn't even identify, like I was color blind. When I turned 46 I started having electrical jolts that felt like someone put a sword down the middle of my head to the spine, didn't hurt, felt like I fell to the floor, tho co workers said I didn't appear to have experienced anything. My boss told me either go to the dr or I would have to be laid off so I went. I couldn't get back in to see the same neurologist(lucky for me)so I ended up at another one in the same building. I had to pick up the MRI report from her office. By this time I was having lots of neurological problems including memory loss, long term kind where I couldn't remember much of my early childhood OR the years rasing my daughters, certain events etc. I spent 3 hrs in that office, he drilling me with questions like 95 from 100(I couldn't even tell him)what is this and that, walking, standing on one foot with eyes closed all kinds of stuff. He asked me if I had any follow up tests the radiologist suggested which I didn' t know about, the radiologist was concerned for MS or demylinating disease and suggested further tests, she never mentioned any of it or recognized the radiologist report. Needless to say he diganosed me with PA and then took tests to confirm it and I've been going to him ever since, I'm 55 now and and last year I did start to get some of my childhood memories and events in raising my daughters back some. So I'm saying you don't have to take her word for it, they are not always right or are they always concerned and if I had questioned her more and been more aggressive instead of thinking "it must be ok she would tell me so I'll assume it is stress like SHE said and not worry about it" I would have been treated a few years earlier and have less neurological damage. I won't have it all back but I did get back well over half. Sorry this is long but this is also what can happen when we think the Dr knows best.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    I got oral thrush from severe dry mouth and now i have a few questions Sasha86 Dental Health 0 04-03-2010 06:54 PM
    hpv contractible through oral sex? PleaseThankYou1 Human Papillomavirus (HPV) 1 07-31-2009 12:38 PM
    HSV-1 from oral sex - no oral outbreaks??? preocupado Herpes 11 03-19-2005 10:00 AM
    Herpes and Oral Sex fab_00 Herpes 11 12-24-2004 07:23 AM
    cold sores and oral sex question Reina90 Herpes 7 03-07-2004 10:53 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!