It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• What is this? (anxiety, disorganized thoughts)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
    zappa_

zappa_ HB User
    Unhappy What is this? (anxiety, disorganized thoughts)

Hello

I've been mentally unstable for a while now. Firstly I'm regularly in a state in which I feel very anxious.. I can't concentrate on anything and I almost feel like staring into a wall or doing something mind numbing that grabs my attention(so I don't have to feel anxiety). This anxiety feeling is quite irregular and seems to come in sort of waves. And it comes and goes and I find its behaviour highly illogical and strange(erratic).

The bigger problem is that nowadays my thinking feels impaired. I am more absent-minded than usual, sometimes my concentration is not working, my memory seems more faulty and I sometimes just don't notice some things that happen around me. And it's not really uncommon for my mind to go blank in the middle of a sentence when thinking of something. I feel thick-headed. This is absolutely frustrating and my social relationships have suffered because of this all (I'm more introverted than before and can't really relate to people so well) and this maybe causing some of the anxiety.

So I'd be delighted if you people here could shed some light on this. I'm fearing (mostly due the cognitive symptoms) that I maybe having a neurological disorder (brain tumor?) of somekind(ok I'm prone to health anxiety but knowing this doesn't make anything better for me). I'm a teenager so my head should be still working properly. I kindly hope that somebody here could answer me..

Zap

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #2
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Zap, it sure sounds like anxiety and some depression as well. You sound very bright for a teenager if you already realize that you are prone to health related anxiety. That is one of the most common causes/manifestations (Health related issues) of anxiety. I had them for years. I always recommend CBT as it has changed my life. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. You may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on CBT. Keep your chin up as you will be fine as you seem to have a great head on your shoulders

Billy

Old 11-14-2003, 05:28 AM   #3
    amym

amym HB User
    I understand the disorganized thoughts - I get these especially in university lectures, then when I get home I'm ok - this is exactly what happened to me today.

I think its because when you become in permenant state of anxiousness your sunconscious takes over (its purpose is to keep you alive), this is why everything feels weird. Because when your subconscious takes over it switches from long term survival to short term survival. But after a while, because you get so used to this feeling and because you expect it it always feels like that.

You are prob v bright, which can be a blessing and a curse. When you feel like this you try and chill because focusing on it will make it worse. Like when you imagine a word, the more you think about it the weirder it sounds or when you are writing and you can't remember how to spell a word, the harder you try the less you can spell it. This is the way I view my panic disorder.

Closed Thread