It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Anyone with a child on meds all through school?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #46
    Coopersmom
    Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
    Probably when you took the BeCalm'd to the health food store and they saw that phenylalanine was one of the ingrediants. Phenylalanine is a stimulant. The company even sends the obligatory "warning" with each and every bottle. I am not going to give it to my son on the same days that he takes his Adderall.

I have been taking two each morning for the past week and I defintely can feel that it has a stiumlant in it, but it really helps with my focus.

Regardless of what you take, too much of anything is probably not good for you.

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 08:27 PM   #47
    brainfog
    Inactive

brainfog HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coopersmom
    Phenylalanine is a stimulant. The company even sends the obligatory "warning" with each and every bottle.
    Phenylalanine isn't a stimulant. It is an amino acid that causes stimulant-like effects indirectly.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #48
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    brainfog is correct!!! Phenylalanine is not a stimulant. It is present in foods as an amino acid and it is perfectly safe to take along with stimulant medication.

In large amounts (as a supplement or if you eat food that is high in it) soon before bedtime you may have trouble sleeping.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 11-16-2003 at 10:14 PM.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 AM   #49
    Coopersmom
    Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
    Stimulant or stimulant "like effect." What's the difference? The point is the Company sends a "warning" along with the product.

I love the stuff, but, I wouldn't take it at night, it would keep me awake and I am making the choice not to give it to my son along with his Adderall. I don't want to mix that "stimulant like effect" with the stimulant.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #50
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    I guess this is why I've read that individual aminos shouldn't be taken by themselves. It is recommended all the complete aminos be taken at once, such as a complete amino supplement, protein powders, protein bars, or eating dairy or meat.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:26 AM   #51
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Coopersmom, are you ADHD? Because beCalmd does help many with ADHD to sleep. Meats and millk products are high in phenylalanine. There is a big difference between a stimulant and a stimulant like effect. If your son doesnt take the beCalmd every day he won't get the benefits from it. Giving it to him the same day as his medication should not make him unable to sleep.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #52
    Coopersmom
    Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
    I don't know if I am ADHD but I feel pretty sure that I am. Becalm'd is really helping me to focus at work. I do feel the stimulant part of it though.

I am going to start giving it to my son next month and then take him off his meds during the Christmas break at school and give him only the Becalm'd. Are you sure it's all right to give it to him in addition to his Adderall?

Thanks!
    Vanessa

Old 11-17-2003, 12:54 PM   #53
    wndyctymom

wndyctymom HB User
    My child's ADHD experience & Concerta

Vanessa,

I am brand new to this website, however I have a child with ADHD. My oldest son (he is 9 1/2), has been on Ritalin and Concerta since he was 5. He was so hyper, in preschool I received a phone call from the teacher the very first week he attended. It got worse in kindergarten. He was interupting the other students and was extremely impulsive. Now he is doing okay in school (4th grade) as far as grades go (mostly B's). He is on 36 mg of Concerta a day. He is very small for his age and slim. My husband and I are both tall people and our other children are at or above average size for their ages. His behavior in school has gotten worse. Last year and this year he has gotten in trouble in class, talking out of turn, blurting answers out, smarting off to the teacher..etc.. and is about to get suspended from school. I spoke with his Ped. and she told me not to worry, we'll check into it more on the next visit (next year). I said no, and began to ask around for additional testing to be done for my son, to find out if he really only has ADHD or other issues that may need to be addressed. Luckily, I found a Neuropsychologist (there aren't very many practicing in our area) that did extensive testing on my son and made some other recommendations. She said that his self esteem was very low and he had alot of bottled up anger. Probably caused by the lack of people understanding him, he feels dumb and stupid and gets frustrated easily. She suggested trying Straterra and also an anti-depressant to take at night (he also has a hard time winding down at night). We will be trying this in the next few weeks and I'm hopeful he can get off the Concerta. I'm also hopeful that his weight will pick up and he will not feel so mis-understood. He's been on the other medications for as long as he's not been on medication. I think they worked for a little while, but the side effects (not eating, shakiness and depression) almost seem worse than the actual ADHD. I know these meds aren't for everyone, and I'm not even sure Straterra will be the answer, but I'm hopeful. I'll let you know what happens in the next few weeks once we start him on the Straterra and the anti-depressant. Also, we are going to start therapy (mostly one on one discussions with the dr. and my son) so that he has a "safe" person (not mom & dad) to talk to someone about his feelings. She said that alot of his behavior problems started when he was first diagnosed with the ADHD, but were never dealt with, and that talking about them will really help him.

Let us know how you journey is going too!
    Sincerely,
    Laurie

Quote:
    My son is 7 and has been on "meds" for eight months, first Adderall, then Concerta and now back to Adderall. My question is has anyone had a child stay on meds all through school? 1st through 12th?

I am so worried about the long term effect of these medicines. I have read stories from other parents that are glad they put their kids on meds, but, most of those kids were diagnosed when they were teenagers.

I am working on alternatives to give him, but am wondering if anyone has a story they can share about this journey we are all on with ourselves and our children.

Many thanks,
    Vanessa
    [FONT=Arial]

Old 11-17-2003, 02:46 PM   #54
    Coopersmom
    Inactive

Coopersmom HB User
    Wow Laurie, what a journey you have been on. I can't believe your doctor didn't switch your son a long time ago off the Concerta. That med did not work for my son either, he was extremely moody and would not eat at all. He is on Adderall RX now and it is working great (for the time being). His appetite is returning and he has gained several pounds since this summer.

There was one Mom on the board here who's doctor prescribed strattera at night and the concerta during the day. The mix of the two got rid of all the side effects of the Concerta, he started sleeping great and eating great again.

It's such an experience trying to decided what is best for your child. We are going to try the Becalm'd over the holidays. Whether that will work for him or not I can't say.

Good luck and I hope that your son finds the right meds for him so that he feels good about himself again.

Vanessa

Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #55
    wndyctymom

wndyctymom HB User
    regarding Be Calmed

Vanessa,
    Thanks for your note... I wanted to let you know that I did purchase the Becalmed chewables for my son, and the adult formula pills for my husband & I (for stress). Honestly, I can say that I like the product for me. I've only given my son his chewables once or twice. The problem is, is that you need to give to your child 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. That is the problem. My child is up and running around well before 6:30 every morning, and that is when I tell him to take his Concerta at the same time that he eats his breakfast (it takes about 45 minutes for the Concerta to really kick in) Since you NEED food when you take the Concerta it seems to conflict with the becalmed time table. Then, he is off to school by 8am, and I don't have an opportunity to wait 2 hours after he eats to give him the dose. I'd have to give it to the school...... and you know how that goes. Besides, I'd like to observe him after taking the becalmed. Unfortunately, he is unable to go without the Concerta even on weekends or holidays (away from school), because of his hyperactivity. So... I hope that you are able to try the becalmed. I have to say, it does seem to "chill me out" during the hectic day, and I haven't noticed any types of side effects or weird feelings while taking it. I would think that the chewables would be as effective for your child. Good luck!

Laurie

Quote:
    Wow Laurie, what a journey you have been on. I can't believe your doctor didn't switch your son a long time ago off the Concerta. That med did not work for my son either, he was extremely moody and would not eat at all. He is on Adderall RX now and it is working great (for the time being). His appetite is returning and he has gained several pounds since this summer.

There was one Mom on the board here who's doctor prescribed strattera at night and the concerta during the day. The mix of the two got rid of all the side effects of the Concerta, he started sleeping great and eating great again.

It's such an experience trying to decided what is best for your child. We are going to try the Becalm'd over the holidays. Whether that will work for him or not I can't say.

Good luck and I hope that your son finds the right meds for him so that he feels good about himself again.

Vanessa

Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 PM   #56
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Coopersmom,

Yes, I'm sure it's ok. You may not want to give him his morning dose when he takes his medication if he's on a very high dose of meds. Give it a couple or a few hours before or after. But it's fine to give the same day and for many it's fine to take at the same time as meds (some are sensitive to this, but for MOST it is ok)

What may be good for now is to give it to him in the afternoon and evening, it can help to combat the rebound effect if he is having one. He's not taking an MAOI or anything else is he? (this shouldn't be taken with MAOI's is why I ask)

Then as you are lowering the medication dosage rev up the beCalmd dosage. He may need as many as 6per day. Most kids won't need that many though. Just remember, beCalmd is not like stimulant medication, if it's not taken every single day it cannot build up in his system and produce the positive results you are looking for.

Closed Thread