It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Ovulation during Prometrium..??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2003, 04:49 AM   #1
    Qtpie23_y2k1

Qtpie23_y2k1 HB User
    Question Ovulation during Prometrium

I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor prescribed Prometrium to help me have a period each month. I am wondering if the Prometrium actually causes me to ovulate and then have a bloodshed or if it causes a monthly bloodshed without the ovulation. Also if this is a permanent drug I have to be on for the rest of my life to have a period, or if this will regulate my hormones eventually, where I can ween off of it and have a normal period again.. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
    That isnt going to help you ovulate. You can still have a period and not ovulate,just like you can ovulate and not have a period. Strange yes but it happens.
    I suggest if you are wanting to get pregnant I suggest you go back to your doctor and discuss it with him/her. There are other ways to get you to O granted it means more drugs but if you want children you should talk to him/her about it.
    Also you shouldnt have to be on it the rest of your life. The other drugs that can help you O can also help you have regular periods. Also there is birth control can get you regular at least for the time you are on it.
    Do a search on PCOS and read up on it. It will show you the various ways it can be treated. Granted thisis something you will have the rest of your life but it can be controlled with the right treatments.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 11-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #3
    blynn6

blynn6 HB User
    I took Prometrium for 5 months to regulate my periods. I did not ovulate most of the time with this. My fertility doctor told me to stop taking the prometrium and he prescribe Clomid for me. I am going to start taking the clomid today.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:12 AM   #4
    cstamp

cstamp HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qtpie23_y2k1
    I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor prescribed Prometrium to help me have a period each month. I am wondering if the Prometrium actually causes me to ovulate and then have a bloodshed or if it causes a monthly bloodshed without the ovulation. Also if this is a permanent drug I have to be on for the rest of my life to have a period, or if this will regulate my hormones eventually, where I can ween off of it and have a normal period again..:-) If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I took prometrium to bring on AF because I didn't ovulate this month. Well, AF was taking FOREVER to come, so I went back to my doctor. When he did the u/s, the follicle that I had (that didn't release when we thought it should) wasn't there anymore...so he said I must have ovulated late! Go figure! Anyway, AF came 3 days later...so I'm not pg! Now I'm waiting for Friday to start Clomid again and then injections! Good luck to you!!! Sounds like some ovulate with it and some not! I do have to tell you, while taking the prometrium, I've never slept better in my entire life!!

Closed Thread