It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Chronic Fatigue Message Board

  • what blood work should be done to dx cfs?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 11-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
    charley98
    Newbie
     
    charley98's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 8
    charley98 HB User
    what blood work should be done to dx cfs?

    Hi, i think i might have cfs. i Have been extremely tired for the last 2 months. I feel like I don't have the energy i used to have. I am going to go the Doctor for a blood test, but what should he look for, and check for? I had mono back in 1996-1997 but i had gotten over that. Just the last 2 months I have had this fatigue that has caused my life to change, at first i thought maybe i was low on some vitamins, so i started taking multivitamins, but that hasn't helped at all. Are there any other symptoms that go along with CFS besides the extreme fatigue. My stomach seems ok, appetite is normal. Any information on this would be appreciated!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 11-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: New York
    Posts: 1,448
    peregrine HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley98
    Hi, i think i might have cfs. i Have been extremely tired for the last 2 months. I feel like I don't have the energy i used to have. I am going to go the Doctor for a blood test, but what should he look for, and check for? I had mono back in 1996-1997 but i had gotten over that. Just the last 2 months I have had this fatigue that has caused my life to change, at first i thought maybe i was low on some vitamins, so i started taking multivitamins, but that hasn't helped at all. Are there any other symptoms that go along with CFS besides the extreme fatigue. My stomach seems ok, appetite is normal. Any information on this would be appreciated!
    Yes! During the first 6 months or so you also feel extremely ill, like you have a flu that never goes away. There are other symptoms as well that can effect every organ system. I thought I was dying and got my affairs in order. Many people have reported similar feelings. I would recommend going to the CFIDS Foundation web site where is a wealth of information.

    Peregrine

     
    Old 11-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #3
    charley98
    Newbie
     
    charley98's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 8
    charley98 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peregrine
    Yes! During the first 6 months or so you also feel extremely ill, like you have a flu that never goes away. There are other symptoms as well that can effect every organ system. I thought I was dying and got my affairs in order. Many people have reported similar feelings. I would recommend going to the CFIDS Foundation web site where is a wealth of information.

    Peregrine
    HI THERE, among from extreme fatigue, my period has not been coming on time, if not at all, last month is lasted only 2 days!! normally it lasts 5 or 6. Does that sound like CFS? Its like my hormones are all whacky, but is it because of CFS or is it hormonal that i am feeling ever so tired.

     
    Old 11-14-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
    charley98
    Newbie
     
    charley98's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 8
    charley98 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley98
    HI THERE, among from extreme fatigue, my period has not been coming on time, if not at all, last month is lasted only 2 days!! normally it lasts 5 or 6. Does that sound like CFS? Its like my hormones are all whacky, but is it because of CFS or is it hormonal that i am feeling ever so tired.
    I wanted to add, i have been feeling like i have the flu, kinda feverish but no fever, just a sick feeling, not right, but I can't seem to figure out what it can be. Its mostly the dragging feeling, even when doing regular everyday things, i have to drag myself to the point i have to sit down and lay down. Someone mentioned on the board, dragging thru the store and holding on to the carriage to push himself, that is how i feel. Just drained constantly no matter how much sleep i get. Are there any blood tests that can detect CFS, do u think its something else?

     
    Old 11-18-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
    Kimmer
    Newbie
     
    Kimmer's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: San Leandro, CA
    Posts: 3
    Kimmer HB User
    I echo your post!

    Hi Charley! This is my first time here, so I am no help at all! lol! I just want you to know you are not alone in this! I have had the exact symptoms as you describe for about 4 months now. I seem to get freaking nowhere with the docs. Very frustrating. I am so used to having alot on my plate and handling it just fine. But now I feel so pitiful! Hang in there pal, somehow we will get back in the saddle again!

    Last edited by Kimmer; 11-18-2003 at 03:48 PM.

     
    Old 11-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
    Gingerly
    Junior Member
     
    Gingerly's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 48
    Gingerly HB User
    Question Re: what blood work should be done to dx cfs?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley98
    I wanted to add, i have been feeling like i have the flu, kinda feverish but no fever, just a sick feeling, not right, but I can't seem to figure out what it can be. Its mostly the dragging feeling, even when doing regular everyday things, i have to drag myself to the point i have to sit down and lay down. Someone mentioned on the board, dragging thru the store and holding on to the carriage to push himself, that is how i feel. Just drained constantly no matter how much sleep i get. Are there any blood tests that can detect CFS, do u think its something else?

    There are not blood test that can b done fro Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If they do any blood work it is for process of elimination pruposes. If all you blood work comes back fine, and you've been chronically fatigued with all the other symptoms you mentioned, then they willl probably diagnose you with CFS. They may do a lot more tests on you, like Brain MRI, spine MRI, cat scans, etc. so be ready for a lot of tests.

    Take care,
    Ginerely

     
    Old 11-22-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
    Mother_Margaret
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 8
    Mother_Margaret HB User
    Re: what blood work should be done to dx cfs?

    Just thought I would share that there is a chemical called 2*butoxyethanol (& a complex version called Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether) in many products people use, and in such jobs as painters have and those in plastics, dry cleaning and oil remediating. When people get too much exposure to it, it causes all the symptoms of 'gulf war syndrome' During wartime, I believe our troops are exposed to too much of it in degreasers * cleaners * remediation stuff. I have heard of 2 soldiers from the 501st in Afghanistan now being medically discharged for sever neurological symptoms... as though their bodies are 'falling apart.'

    I'm hoping someday the Legislature will ban these. People just do not understand the harm they cause. So, look it up and avoid using products too strong with it. Or if you do, use goggles and chemical retardant gloves... even when washing your bathtub! Since it is cumulative, you may not notice it, 'burning eyes' would be one symptom; and the very next day such extreme exhaustion like you have never felt before. It is supposed to be red blood cell damage: hemolytic anemia; but seems like the guys are 'borderline normal' Check the reticulocyte rate (ratio of mature to immature red blood cells) and ask the lab technician to LOOK at the red blood cells under a microscope and COMMENT. (Are they ragged and beat up? Is your body attacking your own red blood cells?) There is concern for liver and kidneys; seems to be endocrine disruption; Central Nervous System depression, short term memory loss, difficulty concentrating, suicidal tendencies. It is bad, bad stuff.

    Moderator has said OK to sharing these websites with basic info about it [url]http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rtkweb/0275.pdf[/url]
    This NJ Hazard Sheet is very helpful;

    and so is the MSDS (material safety data sheet) where there is a strong caution not to mist (vapors in eyes is the primary route of exposure) after that, getting it on your skin, breathing it, etc. [url]http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/cis/products/icsc/dtasht/_icsc00/icsc0059.pdf[/url] There can be concern for eye damage, too

    Per this EPA, CA Janitorial study, [url]http://www.wrppn.org/Janitorial/tools/butoxy.htm[/url] Glycol alkyl ethers are commonly used as solvents. 2*Butoxy Ethanol is one of the most toxic of the glycol ethers. You should use products containing butoxyethanol with extreme care * avoid if possible. It is a poison that can easily absorb through your skin to harm you. When working with it, always wear gloves and goggles and be sure the you have enough ventilation.

    An industry product developer states that 5% is too strong for home use. In a general search on the internet, put the product you want to know about and then MSDS. That should bring up the info you're looking for.

    I've noticed that sometimes blood work is only checked for a couple of things; have them check everything that they can in your blood: get the Complete Blood Counts, see what the glucose (blood sugar) is, too. With this chemical, it can cause high blood pressure and diabetes (when otherwise you wouldn't be diabetic) ... part of the endocrine disruption, most likely. Do you have horrible headaches in the back of your head?

    A recent research summary states an abnormal blood picture will be found, showing Erythropenia, Reticulocytosis, Granulocytosis, Leukocytosis, fragility of Erythrocytes, Likely to Cause Hematuria. (I'm quoting from the below report.)

    For really up to date information, ask you doctor to see this Sigma*Aldrich Company Ltd web site. Product name: 2*butoxyethanol, Product number 579556. When you see what is known about this chemical and then you see how 'little' the USA seems to know, it makes you sad. [url]http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts118.html[/url]

    Now, remember medical doctors, unless they are also toxicologists, don't study chemicals or their effects. However, the good news is, that if you have a doctor open to consulting with chemical experts, they can get up to speed quite quickly. They can order the same specialty test that the experts would order. To find out if there are chemicals residual in your system. There are even doctors who train medical doctors in such: what lab to use; what tests to order; and when the results come back, what to do.

    Last edited by Mother_Margaret; 11-23-2003 at 09:34 PM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Charts of my struggle fighting against Chronic, uncontrolled, High Blood Pressure Machaon High & Low Blood Pressure 36 01-09-2011 08:22 AM
    Thyroid enlarged...normal blood test? cls1 Thyroid Disorders 18 05-26-2010 01:07 PM
    Addison's or hashimoto's or hypothyrodism or lupus or what? jessmariebfly Addison's Disease 5 04-23-2010 03:58 PM
    Need help deciding what blood tests to request lisaann1 Thyroid Disorders 2 01-30-2008 04:28 PM
    What is up with PT?! URGH! kincaidj Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) 14 11-09-2007 08:12 PM
    low white blood cells means what? nyzy 08 Open to All Other Health Topics 3 11-25-2005 11:38 AM
    Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia lovethemusic Leukemia 8 11-13-2004 06:56 PM
    What's wrong with me? TawnyToad Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 1 09-28-2003 06:57 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!