It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board

• Alesse Brand Birth Control Pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2003, 05:01 AM   #1
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User
    Question Alesse Brand Birth Control Pills

I just started taking Allese (brand) 28 day (mini-pack) birth control pills about a week ago. I seem to have quickly gained weight (not a side effect that I wanted!) I am also kind of queasy & nauceous at times.

Are any of you on this brand of bc pills? If so, did you gain weight when you first started taking them? Did the weight eventually come off? Did you have the problem with being queasy? Other than that, I feel fine. (I'm also currently on some other medication, so I'm really not sure if it's the bc pills or the other med. that is making me queasy)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
    leeintx

leeintx HB User
    robste--hi im 33 yrs old and have been on alesse for a year now. they stopped my period 4 months ago compleatly. my last period was july 20. i did feel quiesy and did throw up for 3 days when i first started them. and yes i did gain 5 lbs on them. now that they have stopped my period the dr took me off of them and put me on a hormone pill to start my periods back. when i start my period again i will start alesse again. well since i have been off alesse for a week and a half yes i did loose the 5lbs i gained while takeing alesse. so the only side effect i have on alesse is weight gain and nausa was at first but weight was hard to keep off while i was on them. i kind of hate to go back on them cause of the weight gain. im back to 133lbs now. but i haft to go back on them for protection ya know!!hope this helps..bye for now leeintx!

Old 11-29-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
    Sunshine7576

Sunshine7576 HB User
    Re: Alesse Brand Birth Control Pills

I gained weight pretty quickly when I began Alesse. The weight didn't go away.
    I also felt nauseated during the first month, and occasionally during months after that.

My biggest complaint/issue with Alesse is that it caused extreme moodiness, depression, vaginal dryness, lack of interest in sex, and of course, the weight gain and bigger breasts.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

sunshine7576--YES....i have had all the symptoms you had while takeing alesse and i did not want anything to do with sex at all no desire for it. i was very depressed and moodey and i could never figure out why and now that im not on them i now can see a difference ..thanks!

Old 11-29-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
    Sunshine7576

Sunshine7576 HB User

That is definitely encouraging! How long did it take for you to see a difference? I've been on Alesse for 14 months and my moodiness has become worse every month. After recommendations from my doctor, and complaints from my husband that I've turned into a witch who never wants sex, I've decided that my best bet is to not use any hormonal form of birth control. My final pill was today, so I'm hoping to feel better within a couple of weeks. And if I lose the 10 lbs that I've gained on the pill, that would be even better...but I just want to stop crying every single day about stupid things and be myself again!!

Old 11-30-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

sunshine7576-ive been off of alesse or 1 month now. i am a lot better and i was crying and b******g and jumping all over my huby..about everything and i would be so moody and just cry and i could not figure it out, now i know..im all better now i dont have the mood swings and im not crying and i feel like myself again. 1 month is all it has been. i understand how you feel..it makes us more miserable than them. how did your periods do on alesse? i got put on alese in oct. 2002 and done so so on my periods they were just very light well july 2003 was my last period alesse stopped my periods compleatly, so dr made me stop them and take provera to start my period thats been 1 month ago and i still havent started a period. so how did alesse do you on your flow? i hate alesse bcpills and i hate to start them back. thanks! and the weight gain i hate it. i gained about 5 to 10lbs also and now im working on getting it off i could not figure it out why i couldnt get any weight off before while i was on alesse i would diet and diet and would gain instead of looseig..weried..you have the same effects as i did.....

Old 11-30-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
    Sunshine7576

Sunshine7576 HB User

leeintx-your side effects do sound very much like mine. However, I also began Alesse in Oct. 2002 and other than the first month that gave me a 2 week period, every month since has been like clockwork. My period comes at the exact same day and time every month. My periods have been pretty light, like yours. I can usually only wear a tampon for 1 day. This has been the only positive thing about Alesse for me.

And I can completely relate to the crying. I've cried because I couldn't find a parking spot downtown, because I didn't have enough sugar for a recipe, because my husband picked up the wrong type of milk, because I couldn't decide which color to paint our dining room... and the list goes on.
    It's absolutely crazy!! I feel like I am a nut, but I know that I wasn't like this a year ago! Condoms and diaphragms are an inconvenience, but to me, they're better than being a crazy person!

Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
    robste
    Veteran

robste HB User

I've been on the Alesse bc pills for one month now...my period started like clockwork (it's always been regular anyway), and it definitely is lighter than it was (a good thing!).

However, I though that the bc pills would make my period last fewer days...I'm now on my fifth day, and I'm still having slight cramps, which is strange for me. Maybe my system is just getting used to the pills.

I sure hope in the second month of taking them, the nausea is all gone. That's been one of the worst side effects for me...feeling queasy, but I've heard that the first month that you take them, bc pills always make you queasy.

I've also gained weight...about 8 lbs. Other than that, I haven't felt depressed or sad like some of the other people posting have written.

Does anyone out there like the Alesse bc pills????

Old 12-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
    sleuthy

sleuthy HB User

I'm almost done with my first pack of generic Alesse and I love it! I've been on different brands in the past...Lo-Ovral, Ortho-Cyclen. Those were terrible. I gained 20 pounds on Ortho-Cyclen and I tried everything to lose the weight, but nothing worked. I quit the pill because I was super-depressed and fat. After not being on anything for over a year (and having several lack-of-period scares) I decided to try Alesse. I haven't gained any weight, haven't had any mood swings, and haven't had any more acne than the usual one or two pimples every once in a while.. This is the best pill ever.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #10
    Epiphany2003

Epiphany2003 HB User

Wow, I'm actually pretty surprised to read all the bad experiences people have had on Alese! I haven't known anyone else on it, and I've taken it for a year and a half. I just came across this post and thought I'd take a peek since I haven't heard any other stories...

I actually love it! I've been on a few other pills before and they made me into a demon lady... but these have never worsened my mood swings (I'm clinically depressed and have an anxiety disorder). The only bad time on it was when I missed a day and had to take two at once and it upset my stomach. Other than that, its never made me sick. But I have also been VERY anal about taking it... I take it at the exact same time EVERY day except that one time I missed it.

My period is like clockwork, except when I am taking other medication for anxiety, etc. When I am on other things, my period comes a little early and is only spotted. Which I don't mind a bit! Cramping is minimal, I've had no weight gain due to the pill. I think my sex drive MAY have been affected, but not too bad... it doesn't make me dry at all either.

Anyway, I am sorry you all had a bad time on it! I guess that just goes to show how differently everyone reacts to different things. If it isn't working out, let your doctor know and there are SO many other forms of birth control, your possibilities are endless!

Old 12-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #11
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

I hated Alesse. It gave me horrible acne that was so difficult to get to go away. However, I did not gain weight on it. Anyways, I definitely wouldn't reccomend this brand at all.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #12
    sebring
    (female)

sebring HB User

I started taking Alesse hoping to get rid of some pms symptoms I associated with estrostep. I started taking Alesse in June. By the end of August I had gained 20 pounds after spending 6 months losing 10 pounds. As you can see I was very disgusted. The only pills I have been on that did not cause a weight increase was Ortho-novum 777. As of now I'm not taking any.

Closed Thread