It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Anyone have a child w/inattentive ADD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
    marantz

marantz HB User
    Question Anyone have inattentive ADD?

My grade school son has been dealing with possible inattentive ADD.
    I am looking for any info from other people who are dealing with this. He is currently under going testing for a personality disorder, which I don't feel he has.
    After doing research myself he fits the inattentive ADD profile to a T.
    After bringing this info to the DR,
    He is now on Concerta 36MG and it helps but he was also on Zoloft 50MG
    He was very grumpy and moody he is now off the Zoloft (they thought he was depressed but i think the zoloft made him that way) , he is now smiling a lot more and seems happier with in the hours of Concerta working . He does not concentrate well in school and keeps to himself. The teacher says he does not cause any problems but he does not finish his work and has problem concentrating while doing his work and does not finish tasks. I am not sure if we should increase the concerta dose. Not sure what to do.
    any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you in advance
    hopefully i am doing this right this is my first time doing this or even asking for help.

Last edited by marantz; 12-04-2003 at 07:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2003, 06:09 AM   #2
    Mara

Re: Anyone have inattentive ADD?

Are the kids picking on him? Is he involved in social activity outside the classroom? Cub Scouts? How is his confidence level? How are things at home? How is he outside the school setting? How does he do one on one? Perhaps participating in confidence building extracurricula programs would help with tutor time at home in short periods. Is there accuracy in completed work? Is he regimented at home? Are there set times for schoolwork, chores, snacktime, playtime, bed time? What does he eat for snacktime and is it high in sugar? How is he at home? What does he enjoy?

Old 12-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
    *born~free*

*born~free* HB User

My brother is inattentive type ADD. When he was younger he did trials on medications but they did much more harm than good.

He has always been very sensitive and kept to himself in social situations. It's not the easiest thing for him to make a friend. This was expecially bad when he was younger.

Now at age 11 he is not on any medication, nor is he receiving any accomodations at school. He is making friends (not a lot, but some) and he's doing well on schoolwork.

What treatments have you tried besides medication? There are many options out there including nutritional supplementation, biofeedback, and more. These are healthier/safer options and it's usually best to try them before resorting to medication. Some parents, sadly, aren't made aware that there are ways other than medication to help their child.

Your son seems to be struggling. I really suggest that you try other safer treatments, (some of these can be done along with the medication that he is taking)

Some things you can do:

Start a nutritional plan for him, modify his diet / add supplements if necessary.

Don't react to negative things that he does/or doesnt do, instead focus on praising him for the positive things.

Go walking with him for a half an hour each day. Use this time to talk with him about life topics (whats going on with him, how he feels etc etc) You will end up doing more listening than talking, but that's kind of the point.

Ask his principal or school counselor if his school offers a program called "the friendship club" This is a group of kids that gets together a couple times per week with a friendship counselor. They talk about making friends and other social issues.

Add behavior modification to his current treatment. (ADD children need imediate rewards!!) Every time he does something good like focuses on something, listens extra carefully, helps out at school or at home, completes homework, etc etc, he will earn one sticker, or one small prize of some sort, after he earns so many stickers or small prizes this gets him a bigger prize.

Play classical instrumental music during homework time.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
    marantz

marantz HB User

[
    Thank you for your response Gemi
    no the kids are not picking on him,
    He is starting counseling with someone we think will help him more than the counselor he has been seeing who thought he had a personality disorder which he does not (we had him tested) Things at home seem a little easier now that we know what we are dealing with. His work seems better in the morning homework at night is just impossible. He is 11 years old and now seems to be happier just hanging at home. He use to have friends over all the time. Bed time is pretty early for him because he does not usually fall asleep until mid night. We even tried letting him stay up later but than he was falling asleep much later than mid night. He loves sports.
    Thank you again

Old 12-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
    marantz

marantz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by *born~free*
    My brother is inattentive type ADD. When he was younger he did trials on medications but they did much more harm than good.

He has always been very sensitive and kept to himself in social situations. It's not the easiest thing for him to make a friend. This was expecially bad when he was younger.

Now at age 11 he is not on any medication, nor is he receiving any accomodations at school. He is making friends (not a lot, but some) and he's doing well on schoolwork.

What treatments have you tried besides medication? There are many options out there including nutritional supplementation, biofeedback, and more. These are healthier/safer options and it's usually best to try them before resorting to medication. Some parents, sadly, aren't made aware that there are ways other than medication to help their child.

Your son seems to be struggling. I really suggest that you try other safer treatments, (some of these can be done along with the medication that he is taking)

Some things you can do:

Start a nutritional plan for him, modify his diet / add supplements if necessary.

Don't react to negative things that he does/or doesnt do, instead focus on praising him for the positive things.

Go walking with him for a half an hour each day. Use this time to talk with him about life topics (whats going on with him, how he feels etc etc) You will end up doing more listening than talking, but that's kind of the point.

Ask his principal or school counselor if his school offers a program called "the friendship club" This is a group of kids that gets together a couple times per week with a friendship counselor. They talk about making friends and other social issues.

Add behavior modification to his current treatment. (ADD children need imediate rewards!!) Every time he does something good like focuses on something, listens extra carefully, helps out at school or at home, completes homework, etc etc, he will earn one sticker, or one small prize of some sort, after he earns so many stickers or small prizes this gets him a bigger prize.

Born Free Thank you for your response
    You sound like you have been through alot
    thank you for sharing
    My son is 11
    we are just finding out what he has
    it feels as if its taking forever
    you have given me some very usefull and helpful information I will check into the supplements and definatly change his diet.
    The reward system sounds very rewarding and would definatly help.
    He loves music he plays the trumpet and seems to play it when he is also very frustrated and it helps him he will just pick it up and play what ever comes out it sounds pretty good I will usually let him know I really enjoyed hearing his music. Thanks again and it sounds as if your brother is lucky to have you as a sibling!!

Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
    *born~free*

*born~free* HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz
    Born Free Thank you for your response
    You sound like you have been through alot
    thank you for sharing
    My son is 11
    we are just finding out what he has
    it feels as if its taking forever
    you have given me some very usefull and helpful information I will check into the supplements and definatly change his diet.
    The reward system sounds very rewarding and would definatly help.
    He loves music he plays the trumpet and seems to play it when he is also very frustrated and it helps him he will just pick it up and play what ever comes out it sounds pretty good I will usually let him know I really enjoyed hearing his music. Thanks again and it sounds as if your brother is lucky to have you as a sibling!!
    Thanks.... I would have to say though, that he isn't lucky to have me as a sibling, we are just lucky to have each other. Even though there's a big age difference we are great friends. I have ADHD as well, and our personality types are almost exactly the same. He is just like I was when I was his age. Even the games he makes up on the playground are almost exactly like what I used to come up with (things that other ppl would never have thought of, so it's not just a coincidence)

Thats just great that he's into music. Is there any possibility of him playing some songs into a tape recorder and then listening to them on his walkman at school when he gets overly stressed?

An ADHD or learning disabled child is entitled to a 504 whether or not they are on medication. The 504 would allow accomodations such as being allowed to have a walkman or cd player in class.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
    2sweetcheeks
    (female)

2sweetcheeks HB User
    Re: Anyone have a child w/inattentive ADD?

My almost 11 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD-inaatentive type. He has trouble staying focused in school, is very forgetful both at home and school, has trouble completing tasks etc. He was originally tested for Tourette's Syndrome because he also has tics and some obsessive behaviors. I am not sure if the current diagnosis is right or not. I was pretty blown away with the ADHD diagnosis. I never really suspected it since it is the inattentive type. He has had problems in school for the last couple of years and was held back in second grade due to his not completing his work. They thought he was probably just immature at the time. He still struggles and has trouble in multiplication. We have been doing the behavior modification for about 9 months. It helps a little with him (unlike my younger son) and he is currently on 25 mg of strattera. So far it does not seem to be helping him much to stay focused and on task....but from what I have been told he is on a relatively low dose. I have not tried any of the supplements so far. I am going to look more into them based on what I have read on these boards. I am hoping for the best for him. Good luck with your son.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
    html
    (male)

html HB User

A word of caution - do be sure to talk to your child's md before adding anything, including over-the-counter medications and supplements. There can be serious interactions.

Last edited by html; 12-31-2003 at 09:52 AM.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
    *born~free*

*born~free* HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by html
    Straterra has been helpful for my son, but it took several months to really have an appreciable effect. He currently takes 65mg a day and weighs about 90lbs.

A word of caution - do be sure to talk to your child's md before adding anything, including over-the-counter medications and supplements. There can be serious interactions.
    Sweetcheeks -
    This is Including the beCalmd I've suggested in your post.. check with the pharmacist. If you quit the strattera it would be fine, but it shouldnt be taken with some antidepressants and antipsychotics, and strattera, just because strattera is fairly new and already has major side effects in some people. Most ADHD medications however, its safe to take it in combination.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
    Dylans Mom

Dylans Mom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz
    My grade school son has been dealing with possible inattentive ADD.
    I am looking for any info from other people who are dealing with this. He is currently under going testing for a personality disorder, which I don't feel he has.
    After doing research myself he fits the inattentive ADD profile to a T.
    After bringing this info to the DR,
    He is now on Concerta 36MG and it helps but he was also on Zoloft 50MG
    He was very grumpy and moody he is now off the Zoloft (they thought he was depressed but i think the zoloft made him that way) , he is now smiling a lot more and seems happier with in the hours of Concerta working . He does not concentrate well in school and keeps to himself. The teacher says he does not cause any problems but he does not finish his work and has problem concentrating while doing his work and does not finish tasks. I am not sure if we should increase the concerta dose. Not sure what to do.
    any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you in advance
    hopefully i am doing this right this is my first time doing this or even asking for help.

My son was on the Concerta and he actually maxed out for his height and weight..I had notice alittle bit of a change..and so did his teacher. But he still had the difficulty paying attention , staying in his seat, not interupting the teacher and his fellow classmates. Dylan also tryed the Concerta and Zoloft together not really and change. He then tryed the Concerta with the Wellbutrin no change either.. then we tryed the COncerta with the Effexor and that had a very bad effect it made it 3 times as bad..in the way that he was more hyper and distruptive as ever !! So we are know trying the Straterra ..I have heard alot of good things about it ..it is a non-stimulant but it takes along time to get into there system. We have tryed the 25 mg and now have upped the dosage after a month to 40 mg. WOW it is an up hill battle ..but I feel so bad for my poor Dylan he is such a loving and sweet child but his actions sometimes I feel aren't his own! That may be the medication but it is so hard to tell! How are things going with your child? If there are any suggestions or questions you may have please feel free to wirte back! Oh also for some reason some of the medications say they are suppose to be extended realease and last all day but would be out of Dylan's system right after lunch which was about 12:00 or so .. I am not sure what is going on but only time will tell! I am going to go to the book store to check out the diet thing! I hear that anything with red dye ..and hotdogs and bologna aren't things they should have ? So anyway hope to talk to ya soon!

A Loving and Concerned MOM!
    Jenni O

Last edited by Dylans Mom; 12-08-2003 at 06:55 PM.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #11
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by *born~free*

Some things you can do:

Wow Born Free great advice! I actually did all you suggested with my son and it did wonders for him. Children like this need more attention and they'll try to get it - good or bad. So if you take the time to structure your day so they get that extra attention in a good way before it has time to turn bad - you are one step ahead of the game and on your way to developing a great kid!

The music really is soothing. Now that my son is almost 12 he likes the rap stuff but he'll also listen to classical, religious, country, rock, all kinds! I think the reason so many people are struggling with this issue these days is there is much more sensory stimulation out there and kids tend to get overloaded. Not just by the processed food they eat, but by the music and video games. We didn't hear a lot about this when we were growing up because we got all our anxieties out while we played outside till dark not sat in front of the tv playing video games and eating junk food. We need to turn back the clock.

Old 12-09-2003, 05:41 PM   #12
    *born~free*

*born~free* HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sawbuck44
    Wow Born Free great advice! I actually did all you suggested with my son and it did wonders for him. Children like this need more attention and they'll try to get it - good or bad. So if you take the time to structure your day so they get that extra attention in a good way before it has time to turn bad - you are one step ahead of the game and on your way to developing a great kid!

The music really is soothing. Now that my son is almost 12 he likes the rap stuff but he'll also listen to classical, religious, country, rock, all kinds! I think the reason so many people are struggling with this issue these days is there is much more sensory stimulation out there and kids tend to get overloaded. Not just by the processed food they eat, but by the music and video games. We didn't hear a lot about this when we were growing up because we got all our anxieties out while we played outside till dark not sat in front of the tv playing video games and eating junk food. We need to turn back the clock.
    hmmmmmmmm well if anyones kid just sits inside and plays video games and watches tv all day then theres an obvious cause of adhd type symptoms... but I think that most kids, even today, still enjoy going outside after school and playing sports, building forts, and that sort of thing. (Children in your day with this problem were probably refered to as minimal brain damage... so as you can see, the set of symptoms that is labeled as ADHD did not just develope in the era of video games and too much tv) Now days there are a lot more children getting misdiagnosed with the problem though.

Closed Thread