It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #1
    Mystified1135

Mystified1135 HB User
    B12 levels

Hello everyone,

I am new here and just have a question. I was wondering if anyone knows what a normal or average B12 level is? I had mine tested and the doctor told me it is low with a 92. I am now getting shots for it once a month.

If anyone knows I would appreciate it.. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
    NChar

NChar HB User
    Re: B12 levels

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystified1135
    Hello everyone,

I am new here and just have a question. I was wondering if anyone knows what a normal or average B12 level is? I had mine tested and the doctor told me it is low with a 92. I am now getting shots for it once a month.

If anyone knows I would appreciate it.. Thanks
    My lab papers said anything greater then 134 was normal. I just found out two weeks ago that mine was lower then 74. I go in for another shot tomorrow and then one every month thereafter. Is your doctor going to explore why this is happening to you? Mine dosen't seem overly concerned why.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
    Mystified1135

Mystified1135 HB User

Hi Ncar,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I do have low B12 but my goodness yours is lower. Are you having any problems due to the low b12? I sure hope not.

My doctor isnt overly concerned to find out the WHY with the B12. I have alot of neurological problems so he wants to get to the bottom of them first. The low B12 was the first to scratch off the list of what is causing there. Seeing as I have had 5 months of shots and not doing any better we are going to start looking further into things now.

Myst

Last edited by Mystified1135; 12-08-2003 at 03:42 PM.

Old 12-08-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
    NChar

NChar HB User

My journey started aboout three years ago. After gestational diabetes (insulin dependant, baby 10lbs a month premature lol) i started loosing weight. muscles spasms, eye sight much much worse. My limbs fall asleep whenever they feel like it. Yatta Yatta!! Found out i had graves disease so we assumed it was all do to that. Had radioactive iodine to ablate my thyroid and became hypo over the summer. None of my symptoms went away. Alot of them are common for both. So when i went in for a follow up for my thyroid my left arm was numb for about a week. I'm 26 and he said that is absolutly not normal and tested my B12. Sure enough that came back very low. My symptoms aren't any better yet but it's only been two weeks. I seem to be a medical mystery for my Doctor he keeps saying i'm to young to have any other diseases and sure enough everytime he tests something it comes back positive.

Old 12-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NChar
    My lab papers said anything greater then 134 was normal. I just found out two weeks ago that mine was lower then 74. I go in for another shot tomorrow and then one every month thereafter. Is your doctor going to explore why this is happening to you? Mine dosen't seem overly concerned why.

My neurologist just informed me that the new guide lines is anything over 250! Most neuros think the old guidelines were too low. This will be printed in effect next year if it hasn't already been adopted. I think it is about time, some people can still sustain some nerve damage at 200 and as you know the b12 level can go up and down even if you have some infection, nose bleed, gastric problems or intestinal infection. When I was diagnosed in 97 I was at the level of 96 and already sustained irreversible nerve damage and memory loss (some of which I'm getting back)I just had my levels checked and it went from 2,220 (first time it ever went above 1000) on Nov 24 to 639 on Dec 8, a big drop in a short time, with us pernicious people we can be unpredictable, about the time they have us a real high level, it can drop as fast as a bomb. I happen to be one who can't keep my level up so I'm on weekly injections and getting pretty sick of it, but nothing else has worked over the years. I get my level checked about every 8 weeks unless he finds it went way up then he tries to see how we can keep it up

Old 12-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User

Hi,
    I am new to this board and I was wondering can anyone tell me at which point of low B12 levels should your red blood cells and hematocrit get lower than the normal range? I'm trying to find if there's any connection between depression and anxiety that I'm feeling.
    My iron levels are ok now, but this other things are still a little low (red blood cells 3.53 x 10E12/L; Hgb 113g/L; Hematocrit 0.326 L/L. I also have somewhat high lymphocites 0.57.
    Is this normal to be with the iron deficiency? Can this values make you tired, anxious, with no motivation or concentration or it's maybe just my imagination?

Any advice would be appriciated.

Best wishes,

N.

Closed Thread