It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Vasomotor Rhinitis Vs. Allergies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 AM   #31
    n7ynk
    Inactive

n7ynk HB User
    Re: Vasomotor Rhinitis Vs. Allergies

I see you are using nasal sprays but I don't hear you using nasal irrigation? I would rate the nasal sprays a 10 if used with irrigation. I define nasal sprays a saline mixture without the additive Bezalkonium Chloride for the purpose of providing moisture to your nasal membranes. If I relied on saline sprays only I could not have given up all my allergy meds long ago. With nasal irrigating, where you flush the saline thru once side of your nose and out the other side to rid the nose of allergens and mucous has been a life saver for me. With irrigating, no allergy meds since May 03. I gave up Allegra, tylenol sinus & prescription nasal sprays that were not saline ones. Just wondering if you have tried nasal irrigating and if so what were your experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #32
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

gemini74-The Simply Saline spray actually works pretty well. I got a sample from my allergist, but I just ran out and I can't find it at the drugstore. I am still working up the nerve to try nasal irrigation, and I need to order a syringe thing to use. The Simply Saline flushes some crud out of your nose, so I can only imagine what the irrigation must do. Also, I live in the midwest (not a hick town or anything) and I don't think there are any eastern medicine universities around here, but I will certainly check into it. Don't apologize for long posts, we like to read them Take care!

Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #33
    gemini74

gemini74 HB User

Hey there MrsLee. Your right, the Simply Saline does work rather well. I like it because it's a mist instead of a stream. Do you have Sav-on or maybe Osco drug stores out there? That's where I get mine. It's about $6.99. Maybe you can order it on line?

I'm hoping to start acupuncure again in the the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how that goes. Dealing with the whole holidays and money issues at the moment if you know what I mean.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:37 PM   #34
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

I know exactly what you mean about money and the holidays!

Yes, we have Osco here, I guess maybe I only looked at walgreens. I just ordered one of those syringes you use for nasal irrigation. I have finally worked up the nerve to try it. Now I just have to wait for it to come in the mail and I need to find some sea salt. If this doesn't work, now I know where to find the simply saline. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #35
    gemini74

gemini74 HB User

No problem, MrsLee.

Please keep me updated on how the irrigation goes. I haven't quite worked myself up to trying it yet.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:04 AM   #36
    fallen02
    (male)

fallen02 HB User

I do not know what is wrong with me

I am 23, have been in perfect health all of my life.
    My pain started 8 months ago.
    This 'sickness' stresses me out more than anything has in my entire life.

My eyes constantly burn----constantly.
    This is the most annoying part of everything.
    I also have a dry- chalky type build-up in the back of my throat (slightly red throat)
    and breath smells kind of bad?

My eyes looks really dark around the eye, eyelids, and when you look at me from the side,
    my eyes look really 'hazed' ---dark.

I usually have to cutt my days short because I just look rough as hell at the end of the day.
    I hide at my apartment, watching tv in the dark.
    I have to get tons of sleep and even if I drink just a couple of beers during the week, the next day,
    everyone at work thinks I have been up all night.

I do not have a runny, clogged up nose. My nose feels very clean (empty) and extremely sensitive. When I get out of the shower, use shampoo, soap, deo, shave, use cologne and hairspray, I start to feel like absolute crap.---and it effects me all throughout the day.(everyday)

I feel like there is someting that is really wrong with me.
    It seems like everything goes straight to my nose. When I smell Poupori or hairspray it seems like it goes straight up my nose and right to my brain. I get a horrible headache and my eyes dry out and burn like 'mad'
    The skin around my eyes get really sensitive to touch, like a layer of it has been stripped off.

Have spent tons of money trying to get to the bottom of it.
    Physician has given me allegra, amoxicilan, even cipro (the stuff used for anthrax patients)
    Othamologist has ran expensive blood test on me, glaucoma, macul, dry-eyes syndrome.
    started to get headaches---went and got a CT scan----Nothing
    I have been so 'wierded out' about this -- I even got an HIV test.
    No one knows the anwser and the doctors really **** me off.

Is anyones nose really dry and chemicals just seem to really effect them in this way?

I just look like I am sick all of the time.
    I cannot take it anymore---I will do anything!

What can I do, please respond

Old 12-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #37
    gemini74

gemini74 HB User

Hey there Akita12. This is a big bummer, I know. It started for me about 4 or 5 months ago. I too had been in perfect health and I am now dealing with the same type of thing.

About 4 or 5 months ago I got some type of virus. Ever since then, I have had a constant post nasal drip, and my nose alternates from being stuffy to feeling completely hollow and sensitive. Sometimes it just straight up hurts to breathe. I, too, now have problems with car exhaust, cigarette smoke, cleaners, perfume or whatever. Never had this problem before the virus. Just last night it made me feel so sick I had to go home after work (which has been hard to get through) and just go to bed.

I also went throught the CAT scan and blood tests and they can find nothing. I had a quack ENT who didn't help at all so my doctor sent me to an allergist he really likes. Even though I don't have traditional allergies, he was able to look at my sinuses and said they were really raw, red and swollen. He pulled me off all the steroidal nasal sprays they had me on (which were not helping anyways) becuase they were making my nose worse. I am still suffering, and he has told me it is going to take months for me nasal tissue to properly regrow. In the meantime, I am miserable, so I feel for you. I would do anything right now as well. My nose is so dry right now it has caused the post nasal to increase 10 times what it was, and it's driving me crazy. I can get NOTHING out of my nose right now. The allergist suggested I moisturize using a product called Simply Saline. In fact, it's the only thing he wants me using in my nose right now. It's very gentle, non medicated and can help with the dryness for a bit. You can also use it as much as you want since it's non-addictive.

I am going to start going to acupuncture again soon to see if they can help me. You might want to consider that. I have spoken to several people who have had great success with it. I was going for a few weeks but the doctor put me back on on oral antibiotic and wanted me to stop everything else while I was taking it. I am going back as soon as the holidays are over and I have a bit more cash flow. The antibiotic, of course, ended up helping nothing. I have been put on allegra, cipro, amoxicilan, augmenten, minocycline, biaxin, duratuss, singular, claritin, prednisone blah blach blah. Not to mention the 4-6 steroidal nasal sprays.

Have you had any tests run by an allergist to see if you have developed an allergic reaction to anything? Have they tried any of the nasal sprays on you? Again, you may want to think about the acupuncture route.

I'm sorry I don't have more answers for you Akita, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

By the way, I understand what you mean by people saying you look like you have been up all night. The new joke in my office is "oh, he's always sick". Good times (insert sarcastic tone here).

Old 12-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #38
    fallen02
    (male)

fallen02 HB User

SO the doctor can to look at my sinuses and see if they are really raw, red and swollen?

When you say sinuses, you don;t mean throat, do you?
    your quote" Have you had any tests run by an allergist to see if you have developed an allergic reaction to anything?"

Can they do this, I thought that the only thing they can test for is stuff like pollen, pet dander, -- I just feel like this disease(I feel like calling it a disease because of the way it brings me down")
    is deeper than the stuff an allergist can test for---only because of the outstanding health that I have been in all of my life.

Also, It seems like if I put stuff (products) in my hair, (hairspray, gel, shampoo) that it just penetrates my scalp and 'seeps' into my brain, eyes and throat.
    That sounds really wierd. (Its not rubbing alcohol, only hairspray) but it just feels this way.

I am going back to my physician tommorrow, you don't know how much I appreciate you responding to my post, I have been checking this board over and over.

What you said about "he's always sick"---that is the exact same way at my work.

Please keep me posted, it seems like you are the only one who has the same nose symptoms that I have, everyone else's is 'runny' or 'clogged', mine just feels like I am inhaling 'vapors' all day long.

my email address is [removed]
    Look forward to hearing from you plus anyone else in this world

Last edited by moderator2; 12-17-2003 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Do not post contact information. These boards are for anonymous use only. Please carefully read and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #39
    perfix

perfix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemini74
    Hey there Akita12. This is a big bummer, I know. It started for me about 4 or 5 months ago. I too had been in perfect health and I am now dealing with the same type of thing.

About 4 or 5 months ago I got some type of virus. Ever since then, I have had a constant post nasal drip, and my nose alternates from being stuffy to feeling completely hollow and sensitive. Sometimes it just straight up hurts to breathe. I, too, now have problems with car exhaust, cigarette smoke, cleaners, perfume or whatever. Never had this problem before the virus. Just last night it made me feel so sick I had to go home after work (which has been hard to get through) and just go to bed.

I also went throught the CAT scan and blood tests and they can find nothing. I had a quack ENT who didn't help at all so my doctor sent me to an allergist he really likes. Even though I don't have traditional allergies, he was able to look at my sinuses and said they were really raw, red and swollen. He pulled me off all the steroidal nasal sprays they had me on (which were not helping anyways) becuase they were making my nose worse. I am still suffering, and he has told me it is going to take months for me nasal tissue to properly regrow. In the meantime, I am miserable, so I feel for you. I would do anything right now as well. My nose is so dry right now it has caused the post nasal to increase 10 times what it was, and it's driving me crazy. I can get NOTHING out of my nose right now. The allergist suggested I moisturize using a product called Simply Saline. In fact, it's the only thing he wants me using in my nose right now. It's very gentle, non medicated and can help with the dryness for a bit. You can also use it as much as you want since it's non-addictive.

I am going to start going to acupuncture again soon to see if they can help me. You might want to consider that. I have spoken to several people who have had great success with it. I was going for a few weeks but the doctor put me back on on oral antibiotic and wanted me to stop everything else while I was taking it. I am going back as soon as the holidays are over and I have a bit more cash flow. The antibiotic, of course, ended up helping nothing. I have been put on allegra, cipro, amoxicilan, augmenten, minocycline, biaxin, duratuss, singular, claritin, prednisone blah blach blah. Not to mention the 4-6 steroidal nasal sprays.

Have you had any tests run by an allergist to see if you have developed an allergic reaction to anything? Have they tried any of the nasal sprays on you? Again, you may want to think about the acupuncture route.

I'm sorry I don't have more answers for you Akita, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

By the way, I understand what you mean by people saying you look like you have been up all night. The new joke in my office is "oh, he's always sick". Good times (insert sarcastic tone here).

Hi there. Your symptoms look similar to mine. Mine started 2 months a sort of cold I catched which I treated myself with some leftover antibiotics. I shouldn't have done that of course, but it helped on the short term. I started to get phlegm in my throat all day, once a day i would spit out this nasty bad smelling mucus, sometimes containing blood. This would get really worse when it was cold or when I go the flu or some sort of cold(why? have no idea). My next was always congested, slight sore throat and lots of tonsil stones. I have experienced myself too that I can't bare somebofy smoking next to me. have it with certain perfumes too. My nose just completely closes.
    Not long after this all I developed this terrible, awful smell from my nose. And the best thing is I can never blow my nose, I have to spit it out and it tastes terrible. My nose has ever since been feeling like I have the flu. You know when you have the flu your nose is congested and you have a certain smell in your nose. It's like it never went away. A CT showed that my sinuses were clear/ Doctor set me off with antibiotics and a nasal spray which brought only a short relief.
    Has anyone heard about atrophic rhinitis, I am not sure about the symptoms but it resembles mine and probably yours.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #40
    MrsLee
    Veteran
    (female)

MrsLee HB User

Akita12--when you said that hairspray bothers you it reminded me of something I experience. Whenever I put makeup on, especially eye makeup, I get stuffier, ususally get a headache and my eyes just feel more irritated. This stinks because I just started a professional job and I have to wear makeup when I go to work. I never noticed this with hair prodcuts. I wonder if this is the same kind of thing. I have pretty much figured out I am just really sensitive to a lot of weird, and not so weird things.

I also understand when you say people think you are always sick. My family, friends, coworkers and classmates all comment on how I am always sick. I think they are just sick of hearing me sniffle and sneeze and clear my throat all the time.

I am surprised at how many of you were fine until getting a virus and are now stuck with this problem. I think I have always felt like this, in fact I cannot remember ever feeling really well. It seems there is just so much the medical prfessional does not know about our bodies. ANd I don't think they'll ever figure it out. I think they just want to keep taking out money and writing us prescriptions for costly medicines.....sigh....anyways, I'll get off my soapbox! Take care everyone!

Old 01-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #41
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

gemni,

I have had the EXACT same problem (and it's still with me, going on 5 weeks now).

It all started with a cold, or upper respatory tract infection over 2 months ago. That seemed to go away EXCEPT for the post nasal drip, and constant throat clearing. There was nasty weather in Chicago, but I didn't take it seriously, so I started going on in light jackets, etc. I was also doing a project at work that exposed me to a lot of dust. Suddenly, one night I developed asthmatic symptoms (wheezing). Hours later, my head seemed to swell up, giving me the feeling of descending in an airplane. My ears felt full, and I had mild dizziness. I also get some mild headaches that seem to "move around."

I went in to see my GP and he put me on Advair (which has helped the lungs), Zyrtec, and Flonase.

My head still feels like crap, and my nose still gets stuffed up, especially when I sleep. I haven't been to an allergist yet, but I will go.

It feels like a head cold that won't go away. I just ordered a nasal irrigation system that I hope will help me.

Some people on the board have said this could be sinusitis. But it is my understanding that when you have that condition, you have discolored mucus coming out of your nose, and the symptoms quickly get worse, especially if it is bacterial. My discharge is clear as water.

Ugh! I'm open to any advice. It seems like several people here are suffering from the same condition.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #42
    gemini74

gemini74 HB User

Hey there, Chiggins.

Yes, the constant post nasal and throat clearing is maddening, isn't it? Not only that, but my doctor had me on nasal sprays for so long to try and clear up what is NOT an allergy, that now my nose feels dry, hollow and inflamed. The allergist told me I am just going to have to wait it out and try to avoid getting sick at all costs. He said if I keep getting sick (cold or whatever) it's going to keep setting me back. Not the easiest thing to avoid this time of year. I'm pounding the vitamins to boost the immune system. The only thing I am allowed to use is Simply Saline solution to help moisturize and irrigate my sinuses. He mentioned that the nasal tissue has been damaged from the virus and all the sprays and will take months to grow back. Good times. This has been going on for about 5 months now, so I feel for you. I never had a problem before the virus.

Your right about sinusitis. If that's what it was, the discharge would not be clear. Mine is as well. I almost wish it wasn't so I could clear it up with an antibiotic. I had a cat scan but it showed nothing, including sinusitis. I agree, it feels like a head cold that just won't go away!

I think all of this has something to do with the virus damaging the mucous membranes or turbinates or something. It takes a long time for them to heal. Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that my right sinus passage has started to feel a bit different. I feels almost "normal", but again, the left side still feels hollow and messed up, so maybe the right side is going back to normal and I don't remember what that feels like! Kind of feels like all the post nasal is now coming from the left sinus, the hollow feeling one. Maybe I'm on the right track back to healing? Don't know, but I sure hope so. Put another call in to the doctor this morning to check in with him, have not heard back yet.

Let me know if your allergist/doctor gives you any good advice. I will try anything at this point! I just want to know what this is and how to fix it!

Old 01-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #43
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

hey gemni,

a couple updates. The Zyrtec seems to be working, at least to some degree. I've noticed an improvement within the last 48 hours or so. I'm about 50% less cloudy and dizzy. I will wait and see. After 5 weeks of misery (actually, 2 months if you count the cold/flu), I don't want to get overconfident.

I'm also taking Flonase and Advair (for the Asthma).

I still wake up in the morning stuffed up. I think my nose simply doesn't work when I lay down for a long period of time. I always end up breathing through my mouth. I'm going to see an ENT Monday. I have a deviated septum that could be causing problems.

I have a couple questions for you

1. What climate do you live in? I'm in Chicago, and I notice more problems when it begins to get cold, especially on rainy days.
    2. Do you have pets? I have a 180 pound English Mastiff, so there is a lot of hair in the house.

I also got 2 HEPA filters for the house, about a week ago. Not sure if this is helping.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #44
    gemini74

gemini74 HB User

Hey Chiggins!

Glad to hear your feeling a bit better. I understand what your saying about not getting your hopes up. I was feeling better at one point then I got sick again and it started all over.

Ah yes, the cold! Never had a problem before the virus/cold but I do now. Granted, I definitely do not have the Chicago winter to deal with. I am in Los Angeles, but I grew up here and have never lived anywhere else (I know it's crazy) so it's all my body knows. I'm accustomed to a certain type of cold if you know what I mean. It was easier for me to deal with this in the summer, but now that it's much cooler during the day and night, I've noticed the post nasal has increased quite a bit. It just irritates my sinuses in general.

I have two cats, so I understand the hair issue. I also have a HEPA filter in my apartment (got it a little over a year ago) and you wouldn't believe what that thing picks up! I've never been allergic, but just knowing all that stuff is not in the air I'm breathing in my apartment makes me feel better. Not just cat hair either, but crazy dust type stuff and whatever else is floating around. It's even picked up stray feathers that have come out of my down comforter (thought maybe the down was a problem but it's not).

It's interesting that you have an asthma problem. I had VERY BAD asthma (was rushed to the emergency room on a regular basis) as a kid, but I was one of the lucky ones who grew out of it as an adult. However, the allergist told me that when you have an asthma, even if you out grow it, it leaves a small "impression" or "indentation" on your sinus cavities. He said it's usually not a problem, but all it takes is for one virus to knock things out of wack and cause an "imbalance" in your sinuses. It then takes forever to go away, but it eventually will. At least that's what I am being told. I just want to know when!!! Have you always had an asthma problem or did it just recently develop with this?

I have a feeling your deviated septum is definitely causing a big part of the problem. From what I hear, it's very easy to correct and can work wonders. Let me know what you find out from your ENT. I am extremely interested in different doctors opinions.

Thanks and hang in there!

Old 01-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #45
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User

gemni,

I never had an asthma problem until now. Interestingly enough, two things may have contributed to this:

1. I was working in an environment with tons of dust, right as I was getting over the cold/flu.
    2. I went to a Christmas party, and stood in a garage, drinking with people who were also smoking a lot. The garage was cold, and I wasn't dressed warmly. The next day, my lungs felt like hell.

My peak flow is only about 400-500 right now, and has been for 3 weeks. It is almost like my lungs were "damaged" by all this.

I wonder if this is an auto-immune disorder of some kind. We know the Asthma is an "overcompensation" by your immune system to environmental stimuli, but I wonder if the sinus issues are as well. This would explain the failure of drugs to treat the problem.

Last year, I had problems with "chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)" or Interstitial Cystitis. This is a mysterious thing that causes frequent urination, urgency, and even pain. It is virtually impossible to treat. Luckily, I made some lifestyle changes (no caffeine, cut back on alcohol and spicy food), took some supplements and a medication to treat the symptoms, and I got over it. But I believe (and others do as well), that it is an auto-immune disorder -your body at war with itself.

I'm willing to bet this is the same thing. I'm also willing to bet that it could be classified as a disorder unto itself. I bet we have the same thing, and that if you went into a very cold climate, you might develop lung symtpoms as well (like I did).

Ask your doctor about Zyrtec. So far, this is the only thing that has done anything for me. Other medications didn't do a thing. The other thing that seems to helpe me is running and working out. I feel less cloudy and congested afterwards.

I'll keep you updated.

Closed Thread