It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Sudden neuropathy?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
    jltk

jltk HB User
    Sudden neuropathy?????

Hello all,
    I quess I have a strange question; My mom has recently been diagnosed with mild to moderate neuropathy from diabetes. I need to know how limiting this might be. This neuropathy is in her feet. Unfortunately, after having an argument with one of my siblings this problem suddenly deveoped. She appears to hardly be able to move her legs and feet. I know this sounds as though I am not a very caring daughter but this kind of thing has happened in the past. In this instance she went from be very active and working in her garden one day to not being able to walk the next. All obvious tests have been done so we know there has not been a stroke or heart condition. I hope all of you will understand that I love my Mom and need to know how to care for her. Her reg dr and neuro do not seem overly concerned. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
    God bless all,
    Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
    wings

wings HB User
    Re: Sudden neuropathy?????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jltk
    Hello all,
    I quess I have a strange question; My mom has recently been diagnosed with mild to moderate neuropathy from diabetes. I need to know how limiting this might be. This neuropathy is in her feet. Unfortunately, after having an argument with one of my siblings this problem suddenly deveoped. She appears to hardly be able to move her legs and feet. I know this sounds as though I am not a very caring daughter but this kind of thing has happened in the past. In this instance she went from be very active and working in her garden one day to not being able to walk the next. All obvious tests have been done so we know there has not been a stroke or heart condition. I hope all of you will understand that I love my Mom and need to know how to care for her. Her reg dr and neuro do not seem overly concerned. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
    God bless all,
    Kat
    neuropothy can actually be a precurser to diabetes along with thyroid troubles and some types of cancers. It can also be caused by exposure to some chemicals and heavy metals. Stress can definately cause a "flair up" and increase of symtoms. I'm guessing her lifestyles have changed from before the diabetes. I believe that anyone with a condition that changes their way of living can benefit from seeking help from the mental heath professional. my life after pn is so different from before pn..... two hours of christmas shopping put me into bed for three days. She has to learn to know her limittations and so do you. I was use to running everything in my household and now I can't.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
    jltk

jltk HB User

Thanks for answering. I really appreciate the insight. She was diagnosed with diabetes 20 yrs ago and it has been under control almost since the first diagnosis. I have begun to stay with her 3 days a week and it seems to be helping her some. I hope u do not think poorly of me. I just don't understand how a person goes from very active one day to not being able to do anything the next. However, whatever is going on I will not desert my Mom I will try to be understanding and take the best care of her that I can. Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming because I have Multiple Sclerosis. Thanks again,Kat

Old 12-14-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
    toody64

toody64 HB User

HI,

Not to discourage you but this can happen. I have someone come in twice a week and clean my house. Last Monday my husband was home and my friend comes on Tuesday. So I decided I would clean my house to help cut our expenses. I finished at 5 PM. I hurt so bad but to proud to tell my husband. It kept me in bed the next day. For years in the past I have had these "spells" of weakness so severe that I could not walk but it was unrelated to the PN I believe. So for me It seemed I went to bed one night and woke up the next day with the most sever pain in my feet I have ever had. It took 6 months to find a medication that would control the pain. I was diagnosed in March of this year. I still have pain from time to time and like wings too much activity CAN cause a flare up. I have experienced this first hand. It has traveled to my legs, but with no serious consequences yet. Does she not walk because of pain or is it a weakness? I can understand not walking because of pain but something else?????If she needs help, help with the cleaning, the laundry, the cooking. What about your Father? Fortunatly I have a great husband who helps beyond my needs.
    Hoping all goes well with you

Old 12-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toody64

HI,

Not to discourage you but this can happen. I have someone come in twice a week and clean my house. Last Monday my husband was home and my friend comes on Tuesday. So I decided I would clean my house to help cut our expenses. I finished at 5 PM. I hurt so bad but to proud to tell my husband. It kept me in bed the next day. For years in the past I have had these "spells" of weakness so severe that I could not walk but it was unrelated to the PN I believe. So for me It seemed I went to bed one night and woke up the next day with the most sever pain in my feet I have ever had. It took 6 months to find a medication that would control the pain. I was diagnosed in March of this year. I still have pain from time to time and like wings too much activity CAN cause a flare up. I have experienced this first hand. It has traveled to my legs, but with no serious consequences yet. Does she not walk because of pain or is it a weakness? I can understand not walking because of pain but something else?????If she needs help, help with the cleaning, the laundry, the cooking. What about your Father? Fortunatly I have a great husband who helps beyond my needs.
    Hoping all goes well with you
    Please answer this if you can. I to get such pain in my legs if i work to hard to the point where it takes my several days to recover. Complete exhaustion sometimes. I have an appointment with the Neurologist, but I can get in for another two months. My internist suspects Neuropathy. Do you legs have a burning sensation along with pain? How about total fatigue when a flare up hits?

Old 12-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
    toody64

toody64 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Sudden neuropathy?????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rstarre
    Please answer this if you can. I to get such pain in my legs if i work to hard to the point where it takes my several days to recover. Complete exhaustion sometimes. I have an appointment with the Neurologist, but I can get in for another two months. My internist suspects Neuropathy. Do you legs have a burning sensation along with pain? How about total fatigue when a flare up hits?
    I am sorry you have to wait so long. My pain is mostly in my feet but I do feel the effects of the PN in my legs from time to time. I asked my Neurologist about it and she told me it would progress. Before we found a drug that would take care of the pain, I did have more pain in my legs. We have to know our limits I guess and not try to go beyond what we can do or put ourselves in a position that will make us regret it later. Burning, yes, I think that is the #1 sign for everyone with PN. My pain gets so bad I am unable to do much of anything, and I am forever telling my husband how sorry I am that he has to do so much for me. The Neurologist will do some tests on you of which none of them really hurt. This is to see if there is nerve damage etc. Do you have Diabetes? this is the #1 cause of PN. There are many other causes. Mine is of an unknown cause. I hope it turns out well for you and this is not what you have. It is a horrible condition and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I am so sorry for being so discouraging but that's the way it is. But when the right medications are found for you, you almost forget you have it. Until you have flareups. I take Lamictal and Zonegran, five others were tried before these, one each month, and each month I had such awful side affects I would be in bed for a week. My best to you and I hope all goes well for you.
    toody64 in California

Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toody64
    I am sorry you have to wait so long. My pain is mostly in my feet but I do feel the effects of the PN in my legs from time to time. I asked my Neurologist about it and she told me it would progress. Before we found a drug that would take care of the pain, I did have more pain in my legs. We have to know our limits I guess and not try to go beyond what we can do or put ourselves in a position that will make us regret it later. Burning, yes, I think that is the #1 sign for everyone with PN. My pain gets so bad I am unable to do much of anything, and I am forever telling my husband how sorry I am that he has to do so much for me. The Neurologist will do some tests on you of which none of them really hurt. This is to see if there is nerve damage etc. Do you have Diabetes? this is the #1 cause of PN. There are many other causes. Mine is of an unknown cause. I hope it turns out well for you and this is not what you have. It is a horrible condition and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I am so sorry for being so discouraging but that's the way it is. But when the right medications are found for you, you almost forget you have it. Until you have flareups. I take Lamictal and Zonegran, five others were tried before these, one each month, and each month I had such awful side affects I would be in bed for a week. My best to you and I hope all goes well for you.
    toody64 in California
    Thanks so much for the reply. No I don't have diabetes. Vicadin and Prendisone seem to help me. But I do not want to take them every day. I have to ask about the drugs you mentioned. I'm tempted to try something I seen on the web. A verson of vitamin B-1. Supposedly it works to repair nerve problems in mice. It's popular in Europe. I'm dreading going to doctor for fear of having ALS.
    Thanks Again

Old 12-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
    jltk

jltk HB User

Hi, Toody64,
    Yhanks so much for your answer. After speaking with my Mom's Dr. we are backing her off the neurontin and I believe I can see a difference in her strength. We see her neuro tommorrow to get the results of the MRI so we should know more then. Thanks again
    Kat

Closed Thread