It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• "Adrenalin surges" that wake you up continuously during the night?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #16
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: "Adrenalin surges" that wake you up continuously during the night?

Hi again!
    You sure went through a lot. I dealt with a lot of losses too but I would get cry, kind of sick, anxiety, lose weight but in a few days I would be back to normal. I would, at least, know what caused it. It isn't like that anymore tho. I started getting this jittiery feeling for no cause or reason. I think it intensified by my worrying and wanting to know how and why-- I had no control and I dwell on how I felt everyday. I read in Dr. Christine Northrup's Wisdom of Menopause book that stressful events that occurred in your life has passed and if you have a tendency to have anxiety, the anxiety will re-surface when you are in peri-meno and be more intense. Have you gotte any blood test done at all?

Mine started this August as well. I got dry eyes suddenly and even though dry eyes does not sound serious, it was stressful having to wait for appointments, using drops every hour, being dizzy and vision not really right. I got myself all anxious because I didn't feel right. I didn't take any Ativan at the time-didn't think it was anxiety at the time.

You might be worrying and anxious about your visit to the clinic....I know I would be. That probably doesn't help any either.

You said your symptoms are all the time - doesn't the Ativan help? I don't get numbness, but I do get a little stiffness in my hands and arms...the tingling feeling is there sometimes too. I also wake up in the middle of the night and get the shakes...not everyday. I get sweaty, and it wakes me up and then I get anxious over it. I am trying to "deal with it" - the minute I start feeling this way, I take deep breaths through my nose and exhale using my abs. I tell myself to relax. I also use a relaxation tape to help me sleep. I will take .25 mg of Ativan before bedtime if I feel a little anxious. I also started taking lots of vitamins. I just started taking Magnesium at night - it is suppose to be good for your nerves and muscle. I suggest you take an Ativan before bedtime if you are experiencing this every night. I was really scare to use a lot of Ativan but I got to the point where I had to get my anxiety in control first - stablize myself, so I took .5 mg 3X a day for about 4-5 days. Then my doc put me on Paxil. Trust me, the Ativan we are taking is very small in comparison to what the rest of the world is using.

I have to come to terms with this because if I don't, it will feel crappy everyday. I am sick of feeling this way. I have to tell myself that there will be good days and there will be days when I don't feel good. I also have to get myself to eat small meals every 3-4 hours. It is hard when I don't feel like it and nothing appeals to me. I noticed sometimes the shakey could be from not eating. I lost about 9 lbs. over a 6-week period and that even worried me! By the way, one of Paxil's side effect is loss of appetite.

Even tho your mom went through meno later, you can still have "peri-meno" symptoms throughout your 40's until you hit meno yourself. Yep, this women hormone stuff is the pits! The more I talk to other woman, the more I find that everyone has "something"...and most everyone is on some kind of med.

Take care....take your Paxil...take the Ativan if you have to...lay down if you're tired and try to relax. Eat! I know this is easy for me to say but this is all we can do for now...

Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #17
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi Molly

Thanks for the encouragement. I have had blood tests, thryroid, diabetes etc. All normal.

The ativan does help but for a short time. I don't get the shakes as bad at night while laying down watching tv. I get them however around 3 am or so when I wake up. then I can't get back to sleep. NOt just because of the shakes, but once I wake up I just can't seem to get back to sleep

I lost almost 13 pounds in less than 3 weeks. I am stable now, lost a pound or two more in last 2 months. I have no desire for food. I used to be a chocoholic. I have not craved a candy bar in months.

How I hate this.

we just decided to go to the clinic about 2 weeks ago, I have had this since August, so I don't think that is what is causing this.

we have so many of the same symptoms.

I have had dry eyes for years. Was told it was age related. Not sjorgens syndrome. I just stopped wearing contacts during this ordeal. Years ago I would have not been caught dead with glassed in public.

I am also so tired all the time its ridiculous.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #18
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Wow, I can't believe how we are similar. I tested positive for Sjorgens and on the day the thyroid dr. told me this, I got 'sick' (anxiety) again. In the meantime I was reading all this stuff about it on the Internet and other people's conditions! More fear, anxiety! Then I had to go to a Rheumy dr. who told me I didn't have Sjorgens, just dry eyes. Thank goodness! He did more blood work on me and tested my joints and so forth. I asked why I tested positive and he said that blood tests isn't always definitive - he goes by seeing the person and doing those other blood tests (came out neg.). After this, I started to feel better and and then three weeks later a friend had to go to ER and I got anxiety all over again! Years ago, a situation would get me anxiety ridden but I would be fine after a while...now it seems to stay on. I can tell I am feeling better, maybe it's the Paxil. I am NOT going to let this get me! I have to have this attitude otherwise it will be downhill for me! Can you imagine if I have to put up with this for the next 10 years? Trust me, I know how you feel too - it is horrible to be this way! I guess I'm blaming everything on peri-meno because no one else can tell me why I have been like this this year. I also had bald spots underneath the back of my hair earlier this year (also can be hormonal).

I used to wear contacts all the time too and wouldn't wear my glasses in public! Now, I have to wear them and feel like a geek! LOL! They don't know why I suddenly have dry eyes. I had just gone to the eye dr. the week before and I was fine. They said it could be hormonal fluctuations, aging.... I am currently using a prescription drop called Restasis and my eyes have improved - will be on it for another 6 months. I'm in their study program.

I know what you mean by no desire for food. Try to eat though...even if it is a little. You lost more weight than I did...I was scare I was losing too much esp. when in the past it was hard for me to lose. Please let me know what they say at the clinic. If all your blood work came back normal, at least know that you don't have anything life threatening - that's what I'm told too.

Molly

Old 12-21-2003, 05:01 AM   #19
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Wow, Molly
    We sure are similiar. I will let you know what the clinic says. Not going until mid January. Today I woke up with lots of muscle pains. I have some fibromyalgia and with little sleep ( took some ativan, but only slept until about 3) my muscles really ache.
    I am going to another neuro for a 2nd opinion tomorrow. Next week to a rheumy for 2nd opinion.

I wish I could go to an endocrinologist, but because my thyroid was ok, and no diabetes, they won't see me.

I can't stand this, I want to do stuff with my kids and its so hard, hope the paxil helps, but we will see.

I am concerned about the paxil because I know its very hard to get off it once you have been on it for a while.

Silvia

Old 12-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #20
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sillyme03
    Wow, Molly
    We sure are similiar. I will let you know what the clinic says. Not going until mid January. Today I woke up with lots of muscle pains. I have some fibromyalgia and with little sleep ( took some ativan, but only slept until about 3) my muscles really ache.
    I am going to another neuro for a 2nd opinion tomorrow. Next week to a rheumy for 2nd opinion.

I wish I could go to an endocrinologist, but because my thyroid was ok, and no diabetes, they won't see me.

I can't stand this, I want to do stuff with my kids and its so hard, hope the paxil helps, but we will see.

I am concerned about the paxil because I know its very hard to get off it once you have been on it for a while.

Silvia
    Silvia,
    I seem to wake up almost every 2 hours with the jittiery feeling about to come on. I took .25 mg of Ativan last night and it helped. It is hard to describe exactly how the feelings are. In a way, it is like muscle and joint pain too. I have a lower back pain and this foggy, dull headache that just doesn't go away too. Sometimes the back pain is better and the headache has improved from what it was over the past 3 weeks, but it is horrible feeling this way all the time.

I didn't know you have fibromyalgia. Doesn't that cause a lot of fatigue? Do you think you might have Sjogrens now? That worries me somewhat too - even tho the Rheumy ruled it out for me. My mouth is kind of dry now too but I think it is from taking the Paxil and/or the Ativan. I read that the Paxil CR is suppose to less hard to get off of. I guess we shouldn't worry ourselves about it for now. I know the Ativan is suppose to be harder because it makes your body crave for it.

Take care and I wish we could all get better!

Molly

Old 12-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #21
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi MOlly

I have been tested for sjogens twice, both came back negative.

My fibro never bothered me like this. Muscle aches yet, but that was it. What I have now does not compare.

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-21-2003 at 10:37 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 AM   #22
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Molly
    The Paxil is making me much more jittery and nervous. I am taking more ativan to cope. are you having any of these symptoms? I hope between the extra nausea, sleepiness and this extra nervousness I can keep taking it.

How are you doing?

Silvia

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-23-2003 at 05:59 AM.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 PM   #23
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Molly
    The Paxil is making me much more jittery and nervous. I am taking more ativan to cope. are you having any of these symptoms? I hope between the extra nausea, sleepiness and this extra nervousness I can keep taking it.

How are you doing?

Silvia

Hi Silvia,
    I wake up after usually sleeping 2 hours only with body aches now. My arms have been weird! My forearm and sometimes my biceps gets really "hot" feeling as well as my hands - feels like sore muscles. I read that it has something to do with hot flashes. It comes and goes sometimes during the day too. Started taking some Ibuophren at bedtime and it seems to help me from getting this inflammation feeling. I haven't taken an Ativan Saturday night (12/20). I don't feel that anxious anymore - I think the Paxil is making me a bit more tired during the day now than when I first started taking it (I'm on my 12th day today). I still don't have much of an appetite (this is also a side effect) but I'm eating small amounts...haven't gained any weight back. I have to admit I think I am doing better. I am trying really hard not to dwell so much on how I am feeling each day...think it makes me worse. I noticed after Paxil, I'm able to focus on other things a little more now (TV, reading).

My doc wants me to keep track of how much Ativan I'm taking and get back to him after using Paxil for a month. He said if you are using more Ativan that means maybe a higher dosage of Paxil is needed.

It's Christmas Eve and it's horrible to feel not right....take care and sorry I haven't posted earlier... hope we both feel better soon!

Molly

Old 12-25-2003, 05:35 AM   #24
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi Molly

Happy Holidays

I almost quit the paxil. I did not take it Tuesday night because it was giving me even more internal shakes and tremors. I was taking ativan more than ever. Dr. called back Wednesday and said keep taking it, use the ativan. She said side effect go away in 7-10 days usually and I was half way there ( started it on the 18th). SO i took one last night. Buzzed and vibrated all night. Took the ativan. Will wing it a few more days.
    I did get a hot flash last night and had to change into a tee shirt.

Do you have this board set up to instand notification so when people post you get an email? I have it set up that way, it helps. I can read the email first without even logging in yet.

I wish I knew what I could be anxious about, or if its peri menopause. I just want to be normal again and have some energy and do stuff with my kids.

Well have a great holiday

Keep me posted

Silvia

Old 12-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #25
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Molly

Happy Holidays

I almost quit the paxil. I did not take it Tuesday night because it was giving me even more internal shakes and tremors. I was taking ativan more than ever. Dr. called back Wednesday and said keep taking it, use the ativan. She said side effect go away in 7-10 days usually and I was half way there ( started it on the 18th). SO i took one last night. Buzzed and vibrated all night. Took the ativan. Will wing it a few more days.
    I did get a hot flash last night and had to change into a tee shirt.

Do you have this board set up to instand notification so when people post you get an email? I have it set up that way, it helps. I can read the email first without even logging in yet.

I wish I knew what I could be anxious about, or if its peri menopause. I just want to be normal again and have some energy and do stuff with my kids.

Well have a great holiday

Keep me posted

Silvia

Hi Silvia! Hope you had a good Christmas or at least felt good enough to enjoy it to some degree. Yes, I have this board set up so I get e-mail notice if someone posts. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't feel up to getting at the computer. I find that if I try moving around a bit more and keep busy, I feel less tired.

I am sorry that you're not responding that well with the Paxil. From what I heard (several of my sister's friends are on it), it is one of the newer/better med arounds. Of course, everyone reacts differently to it. I can TOTALLY relate to how you must have felt Tues. night. I have had nights like that and it scares me. I got to the point where I kind of dread sleeptime becuz I don't know what will happen each night. Did your hot flashes suddenly now? That is what happened to me--I started waking feeling hot and sweaty. After to talking others who go through this, the hot flashes can also cause the shakey tremors -it comes together. What do you do when this is happening to you? I try to relax - I lay there and take deep breaths. One night, it went on for 4 hours. I finally took an Ativan.

I know it is easy to say, but try to stick it out on the Paxil. However, if you are going bonkers and just can't stand it, tell your dr. He might have to give you something else. All I know is that Paxil is to take the edge off - make you handle what anxiety you are going through better. I, too, didn't know what I was anxious about. I come to the conclusion that I was anxious of 'why' I was feeling anxious and dwelling on it while in reality, it might not have been anxiety afterall but rather muscle and nerve tremors (peri-meno symptoms). Paxil it will NOT cure or stop the menopausal symptoms (unless you go on HRT or something). I have been having dull like headaches, and lower back/butt pain too and kind of weak jittery legs sometimes. Today I'm better...

[comment removed]

Take care...I know how you are feeling...

Molly

Last edited by moderator2; 12-26-2003 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2003, 03:19 PM   #26
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Molly

I did go back on the paxil, so far still have the tremors. Hope you had a good holiday

will write more soon
    Silvia

Last edited by Sillyme03; 12-26-2003 at 03:22 PM.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #27
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User

Forrester,
    I've also been having adrenalin surges and I can also feel it (or something) my back. Is this normal? Has anyone else had funny feelings in their back? (I know this sounds screwed up)

Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
    lisa07
    (female)

lisa07 HB User

ive had muscle spasms in my back that feels like creepy crawly

Closed Thread