It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• fosamax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
    mjcan
    (female)

mjcan HB User
    fosamax

This is the first time i am posting on the osteoporosis board...i have been taking fosamax for almost 4 years now..plus i take 3 tablets of os-cal with d a day...I feel like i want to stop taking the fosamax..that i have been on it too long...and want to take the oscal only...i had a carotid doppler done this morning because the dr. saw califcation of carotid arteries...i am wondering if taking fosamax this long could cause this..also can i just stop taking the fosamax or do it gradually...also the reason for the doppler was because i had a xray taken of my neck last week..because it was snapping quite often..and thats when they saw the calification in the arteries...i feel that if i ask my dr. if i can go off the fosamax..she would say no...sometimes i feel they are pushing all these rxs...any input would be helpful..thank you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Re: fosamax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjcan
    This is the first time i am posting on the osteoporosis board...i have been taking fosamax for almost 4 years now..plus i take 3 tablets of os-cal with d a day...I feel like i want to stop taking the fosamax..that i have been on it too long...and want to take the oscal only...i had a carotid doppler done this morning because the dr. saw califcation of carotid arteries...i am wondering if taking fosamax this long could cause this..also can i just stop taking the fosamax or do it gradually...also the reason for the doppler was because i had a xray taken of my neck last week..because it was snapping quite often..and thats when they saw the calification in the arteries...i feel that if i ask my dr. if i can go off the fosamax..she would say no...sometimes i feel they are pushing all these rxs...any input would be helpful..thank you..
    Yes, Fosamax can cause calification in many places in the body and I think you are wise to question continuing to take it. But Why does your doctor get the last word? You can state your preferences. I do it all the time, even though I'm sure my viewpoint is not always popular with my doctors. But I am the one who has to live with this body and I am the one who will suffer the repercussions if I accept carte blanche what someone else advises even if it goes against my own instincts or research.

Back to the Fosamax. I have never heard that you have to go off of it gradually. If you want some advise on alternatives I would suggest this:

1) Os-Cal is not a very effective way to get calcium. I take a liquid which is highly absorbable, but if you prefer pills I'm sure that you can find a good Cal/mag citrate combo in a health food store

2) You definitely need the Magnesium in addition to the Calcium

3) You also need to make sure that you are getting Vitamin D and Vitamin K to help assist the absorption. Many Calcium products already contain Vitamin D, but you would have to read the label and make sure. Vitamin K is inexpensive and would be purchased separately.

4) What is your age? If you are menopausal you might also consider adding natural progesterone cream to your regime

5) It is vitally important that you start, or continue, weight-bearing exercise

Wishing you all the best,

Peregrine

Last edited by peregrine; 12-23-2003 at 09:54 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User

Wow, four years - isn't that longer than most people take Fosamax? (I could be wrong - I'm pretty new to all this) Has it helped you? What kinds of T-score changes have you had?
    If your doctor insists that you stay on it, I'd get a second opinion - like Peregrine said, the word of one doctor needn't be the "final word" if you don't agree. In the end it is your decision.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #4
    mjcan
    (female)

mjcan HB User

Thank you both for your response..I am 60 years old..and went thru memopause when i was 41..it was my choice not to take hormones...i do excerise on a treadmill 5 days a week for 1/2 hour...my t scores read as follows...spine -4 516..hip -1 922..forearm - 2412..it did improve slightly ..like maybe a percent...hopefully the doppler i had done this morning will be alright...thanks again....

Old 01-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
    MaryN

MaryN HB User

Quote:
    Thank you both for your response..I am 60 years old..and went thru memopause when i was 41..it was my choice not to take hormones...i do excerise on a treadmill 5 days a week for 1/2 hour...my t scores read as follows...spine -4 516..hip -1 922..forearm - 2412..it did improve slightly ..like maybe a percent...hopefully the doppler i had done this morning will be alright...thanks again....
    I would suggest you discuss the calcifications with your doctor; bisphosphonate compounds such as alendronate (Foxamax) have not been shown to cause them; usually it's the exact opposite - bone loss can cause calcification, kidney stones, gall stones, etc. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a doctor you completely trust. There's an old saying that if you want names of good doctors, ask a nurse! Good luck to you.

MaryN

Old 01-02-2004, 03:36 AM   #6
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaryN
    I would suggest you discuss the calcifications with your doctor; bisphosphonate compounds such as alendronate (Foxamax) have not been shown to cause them; usually it's the exact opposite - bone loss can cause calcification, kidney stones, gall stones, etc. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a doctor you completely trust. There's an old saying that if you want names of good doctors, ask a nurse! Good luck to you.MaryN
    There are still many unanswered questions about the side effects of Fosamax. Unfortunately, many of the symptoms it causes (which many women are now reporting, even though not listed on the insert. Read some of the old threads here to see what people are actually experiencing) will not be common knowledge until years of research later, when the damage has already been done. We could take a clue from HRT, but of course this has been true of many other drugs as well. Perhaps the best thing you can do for yourself is to trust your own "body" and what it is telling you. Did you have these symptoms before starting Fosamax? If not, might that not be one clue?

Peregrine

Last edited by peregrine; 01-02-2004 at 07:26 AM.

Old 01-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #7
    K-T

K-T HB User

Could you tell me what you mean by liquid form of calcium?

Old 01-02-2004, 07:28 AM   #8
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K-T
    Could you tell me what you mean by liquid form of calcium?
    Just that. It is a cal/mag/vitamin D product in liquid form so it is highly absorbable (a problem with most calcium products). The kind I have been using for years is made by Innovative Natural and can be purchase at HFS or on-line.

P

Old 01-04-2004, 06:45 AM   #9
    mjcan
    (female)

mjcan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peregrine
    Just that. It is a cal/mag/vitamin D product in liquid form so it is highly absorbable (a problem with most calcium products). The kind I have been using for years is made by Innovative Natural and can be purchase at HFS or on-line.

P

Thanks again for all the info...i have deceided to start taking the liquid calicum...how many mg. is needed daily? also how much vit d and vit. K is needed daily....the carotid doppler i had done came back fine...still don't know why my neck snaps...but does not hurt...thanks again...

Old 01-05-2004, 02:30 AM   #10
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Thanks again for all the info...i have deceided to start taking the liquid calicum...how many mg. is needed daily? also how much vit d and vit. K is needed daily....the carotid doppler i had done came back fine...still don't know why my neck snaps...but does not hurt...thanks again...
    If you have osteopenia or osteoporosis double the recommended dosage on the bottle. Take 2 TBL., but not at the same time. There is only so much the body can absorb at one time and you would be wasting it. Take 1 TBL. AM and 1 TBL. PM or at bedtime. It already contains Vit. D, so you are covered. In addition, you will need to take Vit. K - one a day. Vitamin K is pretty standard at 100mcg.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:17 AM   #11
    mjcan
    (female)

mjcan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peregrine
    If you have osteopenia or osteoporosis double the recommended dosage on the bottle. Take 2 TBL., but not at the same time. There is only so much the body can absorb at one time and you would be wasting it. Take 1 TBL. AM and 1 TBL. PM or at bedtime. It already contains Vit. D, so you are covered. In addition, you will need to take Vit. K - one a day. Vitamin K is pretty standard at 100mcg.
    peregrine...i just want to say "thanks" for all your input...you have been very helpful

Old 01-06-2004, 05:11 AM   #12
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    peregrine...i just want to say "thanks" for all your input...you have been very helpful

You are very welcome. May your bones grow strong as an Oak. Let me know how you fare.

Peregrine

Old 02-20-2004, 10:14 PM   #13
    daphnesmom

daphnesmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaryN
    I would suggest you discuss the calcifications with your doctor; bisphosphonate compounds such as alendronate (Foxamax) have not been shown to cause them; usually it's the exact opposite - bone loss can cause calcification, kidney stones, gall stones, etc. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a doctor you completely trust. There's an old saying that if you want names of good doctors, ask a nurse! Good luck to you.

MaryN
    I think MaryN just gave some good advice!!!!!!

Closed Thread