It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cheap bulk foods that are acne friendly?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 01:27 AM   #1
    arlo

arlo HB User
    Cheap bulk foods that are acne friendly?

The thing with the diet plans on here is that the foods are so damn expensive! I'd love to be able to just eat chicken, tuna and salad (which I would need a LOT seeings I am trying to do a bodybuilding bulk phase...) etc... but the costs would be huge. I used to eat heaps of bread and pasta - cheap and filling... but on the acne friendly diets there seems to be no cheap substitute... is there a variation of rice that would do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #2
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User
    Re: Cheap bulk foods that are acne friendly?

Acne prone people and bodybuilding just don't mix in my view.

I used to love working out in the gym for 2 years straight, but gave it up 6 months ago cos I came to the realisation that bodybuilding is just no good for your skin cos it requires large amounts of protein and carbs - no two ways about it - you've got to eat like crazy which means you get a whack on the glycemic index and a surge of testosterone and mucus producing foods.

You can't even say 'Oh well I'll just eat a large amount of tuna and salads'. If you do this, your body will burn up the protein in the tuna as energy not as muscle repair, cos it will need high amounts of energy and fruit and veges will not do it. So it will steal the protein for energy and you won't have enough for muscle repair.

In my view, there is no way you can do bodybuilding on a SweetJade diet lol!

AA

Last edited by AccutAven; 12-27-2003 at 04:04 AM.

Old 12-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
    T-zone

T-zone HB User

The answer to your energy needs is olive oil, more precisely extra virgin, add it to absolutely everything, that and nuts, brazils are pretty cheap, no peanuts/cashews though. I go through a 750ml (1.5 pint) bottle of oil every couple weeks.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:01 AM   #4
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by T-zone
    The answer to your energy needs is olive oil, more precisely extra virgin, add it to absolutely everything, that and nuts, brazils are pretty cheap, no peanuts/cashews though. I go through a 750ml (1.5 pint) bottle of oil every couple weeks.
    T-Zone, re olive oil, aren't you terrified that the oil accidentally drips onto your skin. ie when you eat salad, usually some of the dressing goes onto the skin directly around your mouth. I would freak out if my salad dressing was oil based cos all that oil would touch my skin around my mouth and cause breakouts big time. Do you find this?

AA

Old 12-27-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AccutaneAvenger
    T-Zone, re olive oil, aren't you terrified that the oil accidentally drips onto your skin. ie when you eat salad, usually some of the dressing goes onto the skin directly around your mouth. I would freak out if my salad dressing was oil based cos all that oil would touch my skin around my mouth and cause breakouts big time. Do you find this?

AA
    LOL, wow, how the acne community has been misinformed!

Well I suppose some people might breakout from certain oils touching their, but olive oil isn't supposed to be pore clogging. It is used as a natural surfactant in handmade soaps. It is used as a natural moisturizer, for the face, body and hair, although it's a bit heavy feeling (so acne sufferers may not want to use this on their face). There's a derivative from this known as SQUALENE that helps to lighten marks/dark spots on your skin. I've been using a mild glycolic serum (haven't touched in a while though) for 2 years thats got squalene and it never broke me out. Squalene is also not a pore clogger ;-)

I really enjoy extra virgin olive oil. It's the best testing and the most nutritious and healthiest to use. For those that can't have dairy and other junk in their dressings, using oils is the most natural thing to do. If you choose to make your own dressing, from scratch or with a Mix, using acne healing oils (those with high EFA content) is a rather yummy way to do it ;-)

Old 12-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
    T-zone

T-zone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AccutaneAvenger

AA
    Not at all, though I understand your concern. I do avoid skin contact when applying a lip balm as they a pretty condomic in general, I do wash out my hair gel/wax before I go too bed, but one can be too paranoid. I find the best way to ingest olive oil, particulary if you don't like the taste, is to add lots to an omlett or to anything you fry, that way it is absorbed into the food. You can also put loads into currys and chillys.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

If you have acne, or any other health related problem, I think it is something you need to invest in. Nutrient substandard foods and junk foods are cheap and if you have been living off of them you come to think of food as not something that should be costly or that needs investing in. Good food is costly and it is something that needs to be invested in if you want to live in vitality or if you want health to improve. The food pyramid was created to reflect business and changes appropriately. Why else would it be plastered all over cereal boxes? It was never created to really educate people on what to eat. Grains can be the bulk of your diet but I don't think they should be. I think vegetables should be. This is especially so since there is no differentiation between good grains (unrefined, unprocessed) and bad grains (refined, processed, denatured, fortified, hydrogenated oil/sugar loaded) on the so-called food pyramid. If you take a walk down the produce aisle in your grocery store, that is everything people with acne should be eating to get better. Yes cereals, grains, and dairy are cheap, but they are also cheap in your body too. If you want to be cheap with food then your body is going to be cheap too. I know some people are living in poverty or conditions which prevent them from being able to afford things, so you do the best you can with what you've got. There are always sacrifices. The thing is, people no longer see food as something to sacrifice for. Admittedly, I don't know much about body building. I do know that eating carbs is good for this so you do not burn protein instead of fat. Fruits and vegetables are carbs too, though. So are raw nuts and seeds. I don't see why you couldn't body build on a diet of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and meat simply by eating more of it and working out. Yes, it would be expensive, but your body also views muscle mass as expensive. So I think it is important to understand what our bodies view as expensive, health wise, compared to what we view as expensive when we walk down the aisles of a grocery store.

Last edited by prometheus; 12-27-2003 at 12:51 PM.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:38 PM   #8
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Well like the above above above poster said, you can acheive lean muscle if you follow a paleolithic type of diet. So I'm guessing that his program follows along those lines and I'm excited to see how it all plays out ;-)

Now as to what Prometheus said, you are correct. I was just reading the January 2004 Consumer Reports (pg 12 - 16) and it was talking surprisingly Honestly (some may think of it as negative) about the food industry and the government's role. It brought to light a lot of things such as the fact that $20 billion dollars is used to subsidize Farmers. Ha ha, but not just any farmers, the ones that produce CORN (basis of hidden sugar in soft drinks, etc), Wheat, Soybean, and Sugar! The more they produce, the more money the government gives them.....so Of course it's CHEAPER =/ It's all about supply and demand, the more you have, the cheaper it is. These funds provided by the government cover HALF of these farmers salaries!

The really sad part is that's why Fruits and Vegetables are more expensive because THEY ARE NOT SUBSIDIZED! There was a man who was trying to get something implemented along these lines where you paid extra for the fast food, but if you ordered a salad or fruit, you would pay less (due to being subsidized) .....still hasn't happened. I think the reason was because it angered people to be told how to live thier lives (natural selection will take care that then). They felt that they shouldn't have to pay a "fat tax" on food (or their based on their weight), yet since the early 80s, Fruits and Vegetables price have risen nearly 130% whereas, junk foods haven't! Instead, Fats/oils have risen 57%, Soda/Soft Drinks have only risen 26%, and Beef fed on cheap grains (corn) have risen 50%!!!! So who has more right to be angry here?

I nearly felt like crying because this is where our tax dollars go. Our tax dollars pay for fruits and Veggies to be more expensive and grains to be the cheapest thing on the planet. Check this, for around $2.50 Frito Lay gets 56 lbs of corn to make Doritos. Why can't we get such a deal like that on our apples, oranges, etc???? No, instead I get 1 bag of grapes for $2.50 and those were on sale for 88 cents/lb!

So basically our $20 billion dollars that comes from our hard earned money (I could use more of it back) goes toward the very thing that I for the most part, don't even consume! Not to mention, that more our money goes toward "educating" the public about Diabetes and Obesity....when Hello, isn't this what's causing the problem to begin with???? Oh and this is the part that I loved, and was reaffirmed today at lunch, McDonald's Small Fries were the only fries they had in the 50s and now they have 3 sizes more! So I go to lunch at Burger King, I get my Chicken Ceasar Salad and order the Small fries (I was craving salt) and they tell me, "we don't make a small anymore. Would it be OK if I gave you a Medium?" What? (No), but for 20cents more I get 2x as much (this was another thing mentioned in the article) and so I agreed. Before I drove on, I look at the Menu Board and it has Medium, Large, and Extra Large listed under Fries....Guess they aren't into doing their part, or at least this Franchisee isn't.

When I got up to the window to pay, I told the woman that was a very bad thing. Smalls are just the right size portion for me to eat. In fact that's how we are supposed to be eating things, in portions. So taking into consideration that the size of your fist is one serving size, isn't it easy to see how quickly one can consume beyond what the food pyramid suggests? When calculating my current carb intake I took into consideration that for certain foods I'm consuming 1 - 3 portions during a single meal. That only got me to 200 - 300g of carbohydrates a day, yet I'm consuming half the carbs that I used to soo doubling that brings me to 400 - 600g of Carbs on my old diet. Hence, it's VERY easy to see why some people go beyond the average (200g) and consume 800g or more of Carbohydrates a day. That's way too many carbs, no wonder we have soo many health problems. =(

Old 12-27-2003, 08:53 PM   #9
    tiger88

tiger88 HB User

man, if wasnt breaking out right now, i would be on another solid cycle of test prop, winstrol and maybe even some finaplix as we speak, but i need to clear before i go back on the juice

Old 12-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Sweetjade, you must be an accountant or atleast very stable in your finances and life. Mcdonald's website has the nutritional information for all of their meals. I think they must stretch the truth a little bit. You are right. Some people do not even know what is a normal portion anymore with all this super size junk.

Health is one of the best assets you can have, in my opinion. It may seem like you pay a lot for those grapes, or the produce you buy instead of cheap grains, but look at the return on your investment. It is worth it.

I think the whole attack on fat was prompted by a need to sell vegetable oil. Now they are attacking carbs, and I have to wonder why. Where there was once an advertisement for low fat products on the doorway of the grocery store, I looked up today and saw "low carb." Very interesting. Meanwhile the foodguide pyramid is being redone, because, allegedly, the first one was in error. I'm sure the next one will be equally in error, still having nothing to do with truly educating people on what to eat.

Last edited by prometheus; 12-28-2003 at 12:08 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 02:02 AM   #11
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Sweetjade, that is amazing info!!! How true!!!

As to weight training, well we still don't know this secret regimen to achieve clear skin in the gym, so I can't see how anything has changed. Re diet, I qualify myself by saying that although it is possible to follow the 'sweetjade diet' whilst lifting weights, it takes a huge amount of extra $$ and extra coordination to cope with the extra quantities, not to mention extremely uncomfortable stomachs lol. I mean, fruit and vegetables take up a huge amount of space in your stomach but give you next to no kilojoules. Sure there are nuts for kilojoules but I still think you will be struggling to get enough protein without stomachs crying to explode. Without the weight training factor, sure no problem - but that's not what we're talking about.

AA

Last edited by AccutAven; 12-28-2003 at 02:08 AM.

Old 12-28-2003, 03:55 AM   #12
    arlo

arlo HB User

So instead of white bread/pasta etc... theres not a single variation of rice that would be suitable?

And thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated

Old 12-28-2003, 09:19 AM   #13
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

So Sweetjade,
    You eat ice cream and mcdonalds??!! I guess you've said in your posts before that you pretty much just avoid gluten, soda, bananas, and cherries... I get confused between you and those who dont eat ANYTHING refined (sugars, other processed foods, etc). Don't get me wrong, I think that those people who avoid all hydrogenated oils, and refined stuff are eating very healthy, but i'd rather have the things I MUST eliminate be at a minimum, because even though I'd like to eat that healthy, it's nice to not have to be TOTALLY paranoid about everything. Anyway, I know that it's individual and I have to figure out for myself what I need to avoid, but your little trip to Mickey D's gives me hope (although the fast food industry plays a large part in influencing the food industry, so I'm somewhat opposed, but that's another story...)
    The only thing that confuses me about the whole diet issue, is whether the key is controlling blood sugar or if it's more a food sensitivity thing. Because avoiding gluten is not the same as eating a low carb diet. And it seems that people have reported that both have worked...
    Maybe people who were on a low carb diet were actually just avoiding gluten without realizing it...

Old 12-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #14
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Accutane Avenger,
    Yup you are correct. If you follow the SweetJade Type of diet, LOL, why don't you call it "Gluten Free and then some diet?" you can still wieght train. I've talked to several trainers around here and they tell me they follow a similar diet, loading up on Oat bran, eggs, whey (if this isn't a problem for you), etc. You can eat protein...but it never helped me gain weight, but it's neccessary for our muscles. You need the carbs to go IR and release that testosterone to get bigger....but fruit...nah it's not going to cut it. Then again, personally my body loved to turn all my extra fat from the carbs into Androgens anyway, so if I carb loaded...I still wouldn't gain weight...just acne. I'm glad some people's bodies have managed to find that "perfect" balance between muscles and acne....but not me ;-)

Old 12-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Arlo,
    YES you can eat rice, I do. I usually eat white rice too. Maybe that's why I've got 1% left or maybe it's because I still consume some Hydrogenated oils, but heck considering the 99% acne that I DON'T HAVE....I'm a VERY happy camper.

So what type of diet are you trying to follow? The Gluten Free diet tends to get people 95% - 99% clear. I didn't hit 99% until I elminated other, usually Insulin Spiking, foods. Where as, the Paleolithic Diet or "Evil" Lectin Free diet (several varietions of these) get's people 100% clear.

So it really depends on what you are looking for right now. If you have the TIME, FUNDS, and SUPPORT to aim for 100% (could be as easy as eliminating only 2 foods), then go for it. If you don't have all of that right now, you may want to start with the Gluten Free diet. If that doesn't clear you, but you see progress, then you can work on fine tuning your diet =)

Closed Thread